Atricle on Saracens/McCall in Sunday Times
Posted by: MartWhit (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 14:28

Very interesting. And IMO, some telling statements which talk to how he has turned them into a powerhouse.

Interestingly, he doesnt talk about signings or tactics, or home or away form. His focus seemed to be all on the people and the culture.

A few quotes:
"It felt as if there was no real sense of identity and no sense of purpose"

"There was no continuity in terms of people, the only person who gave a s**t about the club was Nigel Wray. Now....there's a real effort made to keep people together and build connections and relationships"

"What the club needed to do was guard against relying on one person. If you're reliant on one person and that person leaves or gets injured everything falls apart. As a club we're much stronger than that. If I wasnt here tomorrow things would carry on as they are".

"things are not always harmonious. But fights are fought in house"

"We defer a lot of decision making to the players, because they are the ones who are on the pitch"

He's essentially willing to make himself redundant in building a culture which transcends any group of individuals. I think this is a similar philosophy also used by the AB's and the Waikato Chiefs 'Mana' under Dave Rennie.

I think it also reveals how challengimg the internal environment is, but without destroying the external harmony once they take the field.

A very understated man but very impressive.

You feel Sale have taken some steps in a similar direction, but its difficult to see Dimes ever devolving decision making to that extent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net