Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Champions Cup Place Without a Top 6 Finish?
Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 19:04

Quote:
Yareet
To confuse this further, Sara Elgin just said on the draw that we qualified as a Challenge Cup semifinalist....
Only in your (and a couple of other misguided souls) minds Yareet!
Some feel vindicated in their opinion and interpretation of events wrt the relevant rules!(Sm85)(Sm86)
After the Premiership final this year I certainly wouldn't think of Exeter as particularly weaker than Sarries. With a young core to their team they will be considerably stronger next year and the one thing they seemed to comparatively lack, experience in finals, has been, to some extent, corrected.
La Rochelle are well within our ability to beat, Glasgow, somewhat more daunting, IMHO. But they have just lost a couple of gamechangers, so perhaps not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2019 19:25 by H's D.

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 20:49

I think the difference between Exeter and sarries here is that sarries have dominated Europe for a while whereas Exeter have struggled. They just look a different side in Europe and even though it shouldn’t make a difference on paper I think it does in reality, particularly if other results have gone against them. I’d much rather have them in our group

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2019 02:45

There shouldn't be any easy games in this comp, but looking at other groups I don't think I would willingly swap us into any of them. Reckon we will be the most improved squad for next season, on paper at least. La Rochelle may be a different beast with O'Gara at the helm.

Quote:
Irish_Shark
Actually it clarifies the situation since she has her information from epcr.

Do you know that? or are you just surmising? Could she just be making the same interpretation that some of us have made?

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Date: 20 June, 2019 09:34

thekeg is perfectly correct, European experience is key, but more humility is needed....

Apply the same assessment to Sale Sharks and every single team in the Championship will be a huge challenge, (with the possible exception of La Rochelle - but as thekeg indicates O'Gara at the helm adds loads of European experience).
How much more improved we will be remains to be seen....those eggs are a long way from hatching.
Do we have any "winning experience" amongst our squad in the top European competition. None whilst playing for SS, a bit through Strauss, Yarde and Ashton. Not sure about McGinty.

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2019 10:11

Quote:
H's D
thekeg is perfectly correct, European experience is key, but more humility is needed....
Apply the same assessment to Sale Sharks and every single team in the Championship will be a huge challenge, (with the possible exception of La Rochelle - but as thekeg indicates O'Gara at the helm adds loads of European experience).
How much more improved we will be remains to be seen....those eggs are a long way from hatching.
Do we have any "winning experience" amongst our squad in the top European competition. None whilst playing for SS, a bit through Strauss, Yarde and Ashton. Not sure about McGinty.

Completely agree on us, particularly as far as Europe is concerned, we have absolutely no champions cup pedigree at all really. I’d personally be happy if we came out of that group with two wins.

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2019 19:46

Quote:
Yareet
To confuse this further, Sara Elgin just said on the draw that we qualified as a Challenge Cup semifinalist....
There is probably only one person on this forum who doesn't think that the EPCR wording is poor and open to interpretation. In fact, the wording is so poor he could have written it.

Date: 03 July, 2019 19:10

No-one disputed that the wording wasn't imprecise and open to misinterpretation, Dave.
I certainly made no comment either way.
However if one engaged a bit of common sense in interpretation, IMHO, there was only one logical, correct answer.
One merely had to think about their likely intent in writing the rules, i.e. making the competition more meaningful and important for participants.
Clearly that was beyond you, it appears pedantic interpretation and insults are all you can cope with.(Sm150) Have a good summer.

Posted by: tmc1963 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2019 17:27

'Glasgow being a Pro14 team are overrated'

New to rugby are you?

Current Page: 5 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net