Current Page: 1 of 3
Simon Hammersley signs on a 3 year deal
Posted by: Olyy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 11:31

As above,
Made up with that, he's a very talented fullback

Real selection headaches in the back 3 now when everyone is fit!

[www.salesharks.com]

Re: Simon Hammersley signs on a 3 year deal
Posted by: Timperley Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 11:52

Dean Richards sounds a little disappointed.

[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 11:54

Good acquisition.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Posted by: onceastag (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 12:14

When it comes to tackling, Hammers makes Charlie Hodgson look like Wilkinson.

Posted by: RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 12:17

I genuinely think Hammersley will be the starting FB, with Ashton / Solomona / McGuigan / Yarde rotating through 11/14/23/rest.

Gives us strong depth - especially as we have seen how quickly you can lose players to injury / suspension. We only had Solomona in the squad out of the above 4 for a fair few games.

Hammersley is a steady hand at the back (as well as being a fairly silky runner with a really good ability to beat the first chasing man). With the way we play, he will offer some much needed stability.

The back line (possibly with SH as an exception) looks absolutely tip top with real depth. Marry that with a pack bursting with power and we will be highly dangerous.

Excited.

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 12:30

Quote:
Timperley Shark
Dean Richards sounds a little disappointed.
[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Just a little

Posted by: Surbiton Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 12:50

Quote:
onceastag

I must admit I have noticed the same.........Dimes will sort that out :-)

Posted by: Mrs Trellis of North Wales (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 12:55

Quote:
onceastag

He'll fit well then with our non-tackling midfield.

There are no ants in Antarctica despite the name.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 15:09

I reckon forwards probably miss far more tackles than backs. Especially in the modern game where players tend to hold field position, and they are often exposed by a faster, nimbler player who is the size of Banahan, or as elusive as Sharples. Every backs coach works very hard to create such mismatches....
Anyone got any specific stats on that.....?
I reckon Props are probably the worst offenders...

Posted by: isitme (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 15:47

Quote:
H's D
I reckon forwards probably miss far more tackles than backs. Especially in the modern game where players tend to hold field position, and they are often exposed by a faster, nimbler player who is the size of Banahan, or as elusive as Sharples. Every backs coach works very hard to create such mismatches....
Anyone got any specific stats on that.....?
I reckon Props are probably the worst offenders...

If you look at tries scored in open play you see so many missed tackles by the front five, as they often do not have the agility to make tackles on backs running at pace, especially when they step or cut a line.

Conversely how often do backs get run over by front row players in the tight? That is why rugby is such a good sport - it is game for all shapes and sizes.

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 16:18

Quote:
RugbyMarvel
I genuinely think Hammersley will be the starting FB, with Ashton / Solomona / McGuigan / Yarde rotating through 11/14/23/rest.
Gives us strong depth - especially as we have seen how quickly you can lose players to injury / suspension. We only had Solomona in the squad out of the above 4 for a fair few games.

Hammersley is a steady hand at the back (as well as being a fairly silky runner with a really good ability to beat the first chasing man). With the way we play, he will offer some much needed stability.

The back line (possibly with SH as an exception) looks absolutely tip top with real depth. Marry that with a pack bursting with power and we will be highly dangerous.

Excited.

I think you've been watching the wrong player...…. tackling poor, positioning poor, and what's the point of making loads of yards running up blind alleys. Maybe you can make something of him, but don't get too excited in the meantime!!

Posted by: Crutch (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 16:31

Full back is the most exposed position for positioning and one on one tackles, equally it’s the easiest position to rack up metres carried when returning kicks.

If he was being signed as a first choice then I might take some of the negative comments onboard, but as a reserve to add depth to the squad in a position of need, I think he’s exactly the right level (plus EQP) for us.

In terms of tackles missed i’m pretty sure that the forwards have better stats than the backs. That’s because they get a lot of ones completed around the ruck area on short drives by the opposition and the ones where exposed out wide are relatively rare, plus they’re often so far from the speedy back that it counts as a clean break and not a missed tackle!

Missed tackles is possibly one of the hardest stats to judge in rugby. Faf and Rohan will be well up there as they fly out of the line, what’s not taken into account Is the disruption they cause to the pass / decision making of the opposition back line by having done that.

Posted by: emerging shark (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 17:42

Is it just me or are the Falcons fans coming on here a bit bitter about this signing?

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 18:18

No. They are coming on and giving their honest opinion. It’s one I’ve seen before.

His defence is woeful to be fair. I think he will have better coaching so the “running down blind alleys” issue can be easily resolved.

Plus, if he makes 100m a game I can live with. Bit of open space fever.

Dimes takes all sorts and makes them better. He lad has talent.

Posted by: Windgather (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 18:51

Posted by: LJK (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 20:09

Richards is not holding back is he...clearly angry about this but with the player himself of Sale Sharks? Presumably this puts paid to the theory of a few days ago that several Falcons players inc. Hammersley would join SS for a year and we loan them '2nd team' players for the season, with the moves reversed for season 2020/21 assuming Falcons get promoted back?

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 20:16

The odd part here is that they agreed a relegation clause, which is effectively the player saying if we go down then I’m off. Agreeing the contract and then whining that he is exercising the clause is a bit rich....

Posted by: CharlieDog (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 20:26

Quote:
emerging shark
Is it just me or are the Falcons fans coming on here a bit bitter about this signing?

No - check my postings on the Falcons forum and you'll see I'm not in the slightest concerned about his departure. Interesting some of you think he's signed as second choice - he reckons he has England ambitions. I'm certainly not bitter - I do wish him well - but concerned... no!

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 20:39

Who will play full back next year? Is Tait still around or can one of the young flyers play there?

Posted by: Irish_Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2019 21:08

Quote:
clutch
His defence is woeful to be fair. I think he will have better coaching so the “running down blind alleys” issue can be easily resolved.

He isn't listed in the worst offenders list from the opta stats but we should try avoid playing him with Sam James, who's topped the missed tackle charts for another year.

Also he's top 5 for most defenders beaten, so hes not going down too many blind alleys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2019 21:12 by Irish_Shark.

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net