Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Back up scrum half
Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 17 June, 2019 20:50

Quote:
ageinghoody
Quote:
StalyShark
The real problem lies in the fact that he isnít trusted for more than 5-10 minutes even when the game is dead (unless itís an absolute hammering either way) therefore why have him? A back up who isnít ďbacked upĒ by the coaching staff to play isnít much use.

I get the impression, unless injuries intervene, that frequently applies to a significant proportion of our bench.

Itís common knowledge that we havenít had two really decent options in each position due to our small squad, which now seems to have changed with the recruitment for next year. However 9 is the position where that doesnít seem to have been addressed

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2019 11:27

Mainly because who would want to come in knowing that they will play second fiddle to Faf.

Sitting on the bench most of the time and get the odd start here and there wouldn't be appealing for anyone

Posted by: MikeGC (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2019 12:16

Quote:
NorthernMaori
Mainly because who would want to come in knowing that they will play second fiddle to Faf.
Sitting on the bench most of the time and get the odd start here and there wouldn't be appealing for anyone

de Klerk is probably hoping to be away at the World Cup in Japan until early November (he probably won't be but....). Add on his deserved rest period.
I can't remember the fixture schedule for September, October and early November but it gives any potential new bloke ample opportunity to make himself indispensable, then suddenly de Klerk is playing second fiddle and trying to get back into a successful team (hopefully).
IMHuO the identifying trait of a professional athlete is that he/she believes in themself and their ability to oust the incumbent in their position.
Imagine the lad's kudos if he usurps a current (albeit foreign)international player. Why wouldn't someone pitch up and fight for that ?
Of course with a new improved South African enforced pack, driving forward consistently, Cliff might well start to shine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2019 12:19 by MikeGC.

Posted by: thekeg (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2019 12:22

Quote:
NorthernMaori

I can understand the point, but he will be away on international duty at times and also ideally needs resting. Thereís also the potential to learn from him. It might be that we think Warr is now ready to play a more active part and also that Quirke will come through soon, if thatís the case then I can understand the lack of recruitment.

Posted by: NorthernMaori (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 07:59

I'm sure most if not all professional players back themselves to be No. 1 in their position, but they are also human; and can be subject to the same amount of self-doubt as anybody on the street.

The point is that they may look at Faf and think "yeah, I could usurp him. He's not as good as me; and he'll be away with SA" but they may also look at it and see that even though Faf had been away with SA last year he was dropped straight back in to the team regardless of the performance of others; and SD has championed De Klerk as being a key influence for attracting new recruits so he must be pretty central to everything at the Club. Therefore, would SD risk upsetting him and making him second choice (albeit potentially on merit) and then have him leave for an offer elsewhere?

Although I wouldn't say I was thrilled with the current options behind Faf, I am more than willing to wait and see if Quirke and Warr develop, forcing themselves past Cliff in the order. The situation we are in is as a consequence of having a truly world class player in a position. It is akin to the situation the Tottenham find themsleves in with Harry Kane. They find it difficult to recruit a backup because anyone half decent won't want to go there knowing that they will have to site behind the prodigal son; and that is even with football offering teams to utilise differnt formations!

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 19:18

Kane analogy is a good one.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 20:19

Quote:
Yareet.
Are you excusing the human centipede????
No, I was more defending a scrumhalf waiting for what seems like an age behind a ruck for a forward or two to get into position as blocking guards.
The danger of a hasty clearance were exemplified in this England U20s match. Luke James makes a good run into midfield and sets up ball well, but an overeager 9 tries to box kick when there are no guards.... with disastrous results...(around 3 minutes in.)

Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 20 June, 2019 02:49

It should be enshrined in law that any scrum half who attempts to box kick quick ball should be Roshambo'd by the rest of his squad.

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Current Page: 2 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net