Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Posted by: PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 09:35

I think you are missing hobblers point. I'm sure he will correct me if required, but I don't believe he is advocating not moving, merely trying to fathom a non onerous mechanism for keeping the lights on here. So that when those who do not read during close season come back, they will not be left wondering where we have all burgered off to

Unhappiness, where's when I was young
And we didn't give a damn
'Cause we were raised
To see life as a fun and take it if we can

Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 11:29

As I said, I'll put up a final "so long and thanks for all the fish" front page post that contains the directions to the new place. Also (assuming Anne is the owner), we can point salerugby.co.uk to the new site, so anyone who comes in through that route will go there automagically.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 12:11

Quote:
PoyntonShark
I think you are missing hobblers point.

My entire abject failure of a life has been spent for ever missing the point. Even the most hardened Village Idiot outranks me in the thinking stakes. (Sm72)

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 15:26

Now that I can agree with iBozz....
Several points iBozz : if you actually read my posts it would help!
Poynters is absolutely correct in what he posts. If he and the Major can understand my posts, you can too...
It is clear that I'm neutral over moving.
"certainly" was in response to being asked if I was prepared to volunteer to do the tedious work involved in maintaining a tombstone presence on the actual discussion board.
Irrelevent now as the Major's option for a "thanks for the fish" on the front page of the whole site is far more preferable.
And, as you well know, it's ancient history I didn't really choose to resign. More a question of committing harakiri, having perhaps misinterpreted someone's heinous actions wrt a poster, and gone somewhat OTT in response. That person is now banned of course. So I feel somewhat vindicated.

......anyway why are you on here? YOU HAVE ACCOUNTS TO PERUSE!

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 21:08

I do indeed - this weekend. Life is somewhat hectic at the moment and I am barely treading waters on the family front engaged, as I am, in every day having to fight two unconnected and seriously dysfunctional arms of the NHS. Not an excuse, but a reason.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 11:33

3 weeks since the last visible front page article and the Board carries on.

HOW IS IT STILL ALIVE?????

Posted by: clutch (IP Logged)
Date: 11 June, 2019 12:55

The Keith Richards if message boards.

Date: 11 June, 2019 17:43

Maybe it's because we're in the off season.

Or maybe it's because the underlying software is a bit crapold.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg

Date: 15 June, 2019 21:28

Did anyone upload (but not publish) an article for a later publication date as was proposed.
If they did that would explain it.

Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 16 June, 2019 08:27

No one has done anything....its a waiting game.....

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Date: 16 June, 2019 10:55

Quote:
H's D
Did anyone upload (but not publish) an article for a later publication date as was proposed.
If they did that would explain it.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that.

AIUI, the timer is only reset if the article is actually published, but it restarts from the date of upload.

Yes, I know it doesn't make sense, but I didn't write the software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2019 08:26 by Major Bloodnok.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 18 June, 2019 21:30

Always sad to lose another SN site, but yes, I understand why.
As for updates, I believe you need to actually publish to pre-empt 'going dark', and I wonder if there is actually any built-in intelligence in that part of the software.
I certainly know there are some sites (not necessarily rugby ones) that haven't been updated for an awful long time yet are still extant.
However, some seem to get shut down if they overstep the notional rules by a day or two.
No logic there.
Ours (Cov) used to be shut down fairly often under the previous admin (he's a busy guy and just didn't have time). I took over last year (i also had a hand in it a few years ago) and have managed to keep it online ever since (not bragging; I'm just time-rich). Going back a bit, iirc, one had to comply with a minimum word count kinda thing, which was quite onerous, but I reckon that's gone by the board now and you can get away with fairly minimal length updates.
Someone on here mentioned Wasps keeping theirs going without updates. Not true. It went down several times last season, consistent with the lack of updates.
Anyway, that's my take fwiw! Cheers.

Date: 19 June, 2019 08:31

Thanks.

Strange as it may seem, if SN would just bring the software up to date, with some more modern features and maybe just relaxing the publishing rule in the off season, I think I'd be happy to stay here. But, honestly, I don't think they care about the site anymore.

Posted by: AdminBTCov (IP Logged)
Date: 19 June, 2019 11:21

Agreed sir. Totally.

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 26 June, 2019 14:45

Quote:
AdminBTCov
Someone on here mentioned Wasps keeping theirs going without updates. Not true. It went down several times last season, consistent with the lack of updates.
If you mean me, and I can't find another reference to it, I said Wasps seem to keep it going with only sporadic updates, not without updates. I note Wasps have disappeared at the moment, so maybe updates have been too sporadic. Harlequins are still there with an update of the front page on 26th June. Their previous update was 20th March. There can not be a strict 2 week limit on front page update however the figures are looked at. Whatever, the site going down does not seem to have a consistent nor a logical basis.

Date: 26 June, 2019 16:29

Quote:
DaveAitch
... does not seem to have a consistent nor a logical basis.

I think you've just summed up SportNetwork, there, Dave.

Date: 03 July, 2019 18:58

Marketing now puts far more emphasis on platforms like whats-app, snap-chat, reddit, pin-terest, instagram, facebook and twitter.
It wouldn't surprise me if that is where their focus is now, they are all far more easily monetised.

Posted by: DOK. (IP Logged)
Date: 23 July, 2019 21:19

Hi there,

Harlequin fan in peace. I actually run the current Harlequins site and ran the sportnetwork site.

I'm sorry to read some of you don't visit our site because registering/remembering a userid password is too difficult/cumbersome. Might I suggest use a password manager, then logging in is simple as the userid/password get filled in for you? (yes, you still have to register, but it's only once!).

23Shark did kindly offer us a place on his server when we were looking to move, but in the end we went for the site where we currently are. I wouldn't claim it to be in any way superior, but it ticked a lot of boxes at the time we moved.

As for why our SportNetwork site is still going, that's a good question. I think the SN admins have fixed it so it doesn't time out for front page stuff. Someone is still feeding it in a desultory way, but I don't know who and even less why. Regrettably it was nothing to do with me, so I know of no "trick" to leave this board functioning when you go.

When we left SN, we had intended to move "en masse" to the new board and just let the old one die. I saw something above about keeping two boards going, but I really wouldn't advise that. You'll just split membership and have the possibility of both boards not having enough "life" in them.

Anyway, I wish you all the best with the move to your new board - I had a quick peek and it does seem better already than this one. Of course it's a shame to move, and we went through the same discussions and angst that you've had over moving, but I can honestly say once moved, we haven't had anyone asking to move back.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net