Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: When does this forum "go dark" for the last time ?
Posted by: wrinklieshark (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 10:23

Maybe someone who could understand the answer could ask Quins or Glos how they do it?

Posted by: Yareet (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 11:07

Quote:
PoyntonShark
Quote:
Yareet
Ooh do I get the honour of the last article? Kinda feels like it should be somebody higher up. My votes for the Major

This is an egalitarian society you know. I think you are perfectly entitled to the 'honour' of last article. I suppose, given the awesome, unforgiving power that he wields, the Major may be more equal than others, but, as his being hacked off with the whole SN article business is what has finally jump started this move the view from, I think it would be somewhat ironic, perhaps even downright cruel, to push him into the final article.

I was going to add that the moderators may also be more equal than others but then remembered that Tigger is a moderator. I don't think that the two concepts, "moderators are more equal than others" and "Tigger is a moderator", could co-exist in the same universe.

[cdn.shopify.com]

Posted by: H's D (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 20:07

I'll try AGAIN.
The Major, i think, postulated that it was the LAST UPLOAD DATE that kept the board "alive". i.e. you could upload any article for a publicaton date long in the future and then, a week later, delete it. Then repeat the process. Thus keeping the board open but without any new (published) stories.The same story can be used repeatdly!
PLEASE CAN YOU TRY IT! A weekly tedious chore, but far easier than obtaining new "COPY"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 20:09 by H's D.

Posted by: Major Bloodnok (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 21:12

H's D. Yes, I know, I understand. I can't be arsed. I'm fed up with this place.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/101/101_0_1475852289.jpghttp://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/1011155763860.jpg
Somewhere in the South Stand

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 22:10

Quote:
Major Bloodnok
H's D. Yes, I know, I understand. I can't be arsed. I'm fed up with this place.

Said like a true volunteer that's absolutely hacked off.

Date: 01 June, 2019 23:15

Fair enough Major, fully appreciate your POV. Just wondered if any of the others could be arsed, that's all. I thought you were on your hols!
Happy to move, but as others have indicated it really needs a tombstone/permanent signpost left here indicating where people have gone for when most might next look for Sharks gossip - towards the beginning of the new season....so the site needs to stay LIVE!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 23:21 by H's D.

Posted by: ale shark (IP Logged)
Date: 01 June, 2019 23:44

Is there anything free we can do to bump the site up on google?

Date: 02 June, 2019 12:53

This site, or the new one?
It takes time and effort!

Posted by: Tigger (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 18:46

Quick question....

Do I post the article tomorrow or do I wait until the forum goes dark (bearing in mind it could be dark for 48 hours) ?

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/DEmmerich/gws21.jpg

Please try to keep discussions generally polite. ADMIN will ban without warning anyone who makes a post that falls into any of the following categories: potentially legally actionable; foul or abusive; deliberately or persistently disruptive; spam. No sockpuppets. Please do not feed the trolls.

Posted by: iBozz (IP Logged)
Date: 02 June, 2019 19:37

Judging by the lack of enthusiasm by the majority to try the new Forum, I'd say let it go dark for 48 hours - it may help to concentrate the minds of the apparently apathetic.

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

In loving memory of Her Ladyship - d: 29/12/2007.

You don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. RiP

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

South Stand with The New Birtles Faithful.

Posted by: Flumpty (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2019 07:21

Quote:
Tigger
Quick question....
Do I post the article tomorrow or do I wait until the forum goes dark (bearing in mind it could be dark for 48 hours) ?

Put it out of its misery and have a clean break from RugbyNetwork

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 07:21 by Flumpty.

Date: 03 June, 2019 07:28

Can you judge 'enthusiasm' out of season?
Most (non-contributing) readers may not look for Sale stuff at all at this time of year.

Date: 03 June, 2019 08:13

Quote:
H's D
Can you judge 'enthusiasm' out of season?
Most (non-contributing) readers may not look for Sale stuff at all at this time of year.

They've had enough warning over the last few months since the new Forum appeared, and over the years with The Major's request for articles.

Patience only lasts so long. Why should we hold their hands?

No matter what you say, or how you say it, someone somewhere will deliberately go out of their way to be offended.

Please help medical research by Folding@Home and join Swanny's Irregulars - PM me for details. Please!

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2019 08:58

It would seem that most of those who might write an article for here have already decided to move to the new forum.

Before the inevitable happens, this site closing, I would like to say thanks to all those who have kept it alive over the years.

We have always believed that it is necessary to post a 'front page' every couple of weeks or so. Now, I haven't examined all forums but noticeably Harlequins and, perhaps more so, Wasps seem to keep things going with very sporadic updates. Out of interest, I looked to 'start' a new forum on Rugbynetwork. There appear to be several ways to keep a forum afloat, as long as something is updated at certain intervals. Maybe Harlequins and Wasps have found a way to do this automatically.

Date: 03 June, 2019 12:19

Why should we hold their hands?
Simple: to help try and ensure the new site succeeds!
Unless of course you think <100 using the new site is enough.

Date: 03 June, 2019 12:57

Quote:
H's D
Why should we hold their hands?
Simple: to help try and ensure the new site succeeds!
Unless of course you think <100 using the new site is enough.

by holding their hands I meant keeping this Forum alive just because less than 100 care enough to move or enter into discourse about moving.

The fact that less than 100 have moved merely reinforces the impression of complete apathy and a "just so long as someone else does it" attitude.

Posted by: M5 Shark (IP Logged)
Date: 03 June, 2019 13:37

Are there any volunteers to take on the admin of this board, and keep the lights on?

Date: 03 June, 2019 13:55

Quote:
M5
Are there any volunteers to take on the admin of this board, and keep the lights on?
Certainly if all it involves is a weekly/fortnightly deletion & re-upload of a story.
Quote:
iBozz
The fact that less than 100 have moved merely reinforces the impression of complete apathy and a "just so long as someone else does it" attitude.
Are you sure more than 100 actually look at the board during the whole the off-season?
It's a @#$%& poor time to judge IMHO.
Surely most will only do anything if and when there appears to be something interesting going on at SS and it's reflected in a board's activity. Even if, at that point it's merely reading the content? Can the new board measure individual views?

Posted by: DaveAitch (IP Logged)
Date: 04 June, 2019 08:58

Quote:
M5 Shark
I think there are several who would have done a few years ago, but too many people seem to have moved on to other things, both in terms of this forum and Sale Sharks themselves, without being replaced by new 'customers'.

Date: 04 June, 2019 10:07

By 'eckythump, H's D, you're either in a grumpy or a Devil's Advocate mood! grinning smiley

It may have escaped the notice of this august and highly esteemed Forum that The Major has been screaming in vain for front page stories for several years. You yourself, having been a Moderator (and possibly also an Editor, I know not), will be fully aware that sportnetwork is creaking, has many unresolved bugs, has broken features. has a generally unresponsive "support" function and is old technology with no apparent plans for update. It makes sense to move to another platform, whether that be 23Shark's version or another is the matter being discussed - or, due to apathy, not discussed.

Where are these volunteers "Certainly" willing to assume the Editor mantle? They can't even be bothered to write a single article to keep the Forum alive, let alone try to keep on top of topics and posts. You yourself resigned as a Moderator as have several others. I can't speak for Tigger or yukon, but I offered to help Moderate in order to remove some of the pressure off The Major - I'm not sure that there was an avalanche of offers at that time so why would now be any different?

As I said above, I gave an email address to which people could send articles for the front page. I had one response (the article was submitted to Tigger) and a deafening silence from everyone else - not one single email has arrived, either offering articles or submitting actual articles.

As for the timing, you say that the close season isn't the time to move. Would it really be more appropriate to move mid-season when posting is at its height? Most "major" IT system (and non-IT system) changes are done at the period of lowest traffic else chaos ensues sure as night follows day.

By 'eckythump, iBozz, you're either in a grumpy or a Devil's Advocate mood! grinning smiley

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net