What's first? The chicken or the egg?
Posted by: TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 08:43

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2020 12:56 by Wildwillie .

Re: What's first? The chicken or the egg?
Posted by: leeds exile (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 10:50

[nonleaguedaily.com]

An enlightened football chairman which is a rare thing. I echo his sentiments.

Posted by: Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 13:56

Cracking article (and yes the #girlsontour do enjoy a South West trip)

Sorting it will be an unholy mess- I put on another thread that if we do get relegated I would have no complaints but whatever the outcome is it will upset someone!

I see that Prem rugby are talking about their aim to be the first televised sport back. Very cynical move no doubt driven by money.

Hope no clubs do go out of business but like you I fear there may be casualties

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 17:22

Good article WPL.
The crisis is very serious but I hope that some good comes out of it, in that professional rugby (and possibly other sports/aspects of life) can be re-modelled where it is clear the pre-crisis model did not work.
But a decision for another day.

Posted by: Albert Fishwick (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 18:47

Quote:
Carnegiette2
Cracking article (and yes the #girlsontour do enjoy a South West trip)
Sorting it will be an unholy mess- I put on another thread that if we do get relegated I would have no complaints but whatever the outcome is it will upset someone!

I see that Prem rugby are talking about their aim to be the first televised sport back. Very cynical move no doubt driven by money.

Hope no clubs do go out of business but like you I fear there may be casualties

Now that's weird, I'm pretty sure I didn't post this. Ah well.

Hard to focus on rugby at the moment when it takes me several hours to gird my loins for a trip to Asda!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink ..... I'd spend it on drink.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 20:32 by Albert Fishwick.

Posted by: Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
Date: 25 March, 2020 20:02

The latest from RFU mainly bemoans their projected £45m loss over the Coronavirus time-out and there inability to raise revenue through the not being able to use Twickenham and payment of a £7m relief package for clubs.

It goes on to talk about modelling three options regarding outcome of unfinished season but does not hint at which might be favoured. As they then state that they are looking at an autumn restart for the sport my reading between the lines suggests a null and void 2019-20 season potentially restarted to make an eighteen month competition. This, however, might just be wishful thinking on my part especially as so many players are out of contract at end of June!

Date: 25 March, 2020 20:13

We are in uncharted waters. Who knows what might happen? Despite the understandable doom and gloom, perhaps we can remodel things to be better? I hope, after the pain we are going through that we do not just re-create the past but take the opportunity to move forward.
Player contract negotiations are going to be interesting......

[EDIT] A RL article but with similar thoughts to mine:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/03/2020 21:16 by almostatyke.

Date: 26 March, 2020 19:40

See the process of status of final determination has started in another sport. This relates to football below National League level where the powers that be have said season is to be decreed null and void with no promotion/relegation irrespective of positions at time of cessation of season. This includes a team in a similar position to Falcons in our league and another slightly less straightforward situation where the club are seeking legal advice due to them being denied promotion.

Date: 26 March, 2020 21:14

I would like to think that sports clubs, whilst perhaps stating their displeasure at a decision that doesn't favour them, then get on with the job of staying safe and saving lives. Plenty of time to argue later, on the other side.
Perhaps newspapers are encouraging some sort of disproportional (or perhaps wrongly-timed) reaction (e.g. Ealing) to sell papers in a thin sports news time?

Date: 27 March, 2020 07:56

Any sports club seeking legal redress does not deserve any support. Priorities!

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 09:44

I do wonder how much the Sarries position complicates things with regards to all of this though, for them to made such a big thing for them to be relegated, how could they not be now?

Almo - a newspaper making a mountain out of a molehill in times when they have no news...never happens.

Posted by: leemingtyke (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 16:28

Quote:
WPL
I do wonder how much the Sarries position complicates things with regards to all of this though, for them to made such a big thing for them to be relegated, how could they not be now?
Almo - a newspaper making a mountain out of a molehill in times when they have no news...never happens.

Think you're right in that there will be an unholy outcry if Sarries don't go down

But

You have to remember that Sarries punishment wasn't relegation - it was a points deduction. So the RFU could ringfence , carry the points deduction over and legitimately say that they enforced the punishment.

If they did go down this route then the points reduction would mean that Sarries couldn't qualify for Europe or be Premiership champions rendering their season meaningless which, in effect, is what would've happened if they'd been relegated.

Date: 27 March, 2020 16:40

You could even make a case that the punishment would be worse because in the championship they would have a title to play for whereas in the situation described above there would be nothing but professional pride.

Date: 28 March, 2020 18:57

I don't see how cancelling a season can be remotely fair. It just rewards failure. Not only is a team spared relegation, they would then have the opportunity to aim for promotion the following year from that same division!

I have lifted the above from the Newcastle fans message board. It made me smile that there is someone who thinks this a possible scenario.

Date: 29 March, 2020 16:06

To be fair LE, I seriously doubt he believes that's a possible scenario anymore than we do, it just happens to support the Falcons POV.

Posted by: Grybz (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 21:59

No matter what decision is taken, someone will always be unhappy. Season null and void, everyone finishes where they are but no promotion/relegation, complicated formula based on predicted results? Someone will claim itís not fair regardless. Even if the season is concluded either once supporters are allowed to attend, or behind closed doors someone will complain.
Glad I donít have to make the decision, but then those getting their salaries from the RFU and PR will have to earn them now, and live with the fallout!

Date: 31 March, 2020 20:28

Scottish RFU have now declared season 2019-20 null and void at all levels. Apparently indications were that around half of the clubs were in favour of the null and void option, with a quarter stating a preference for deciding outcomes on positions as they stand at the abandonment of the season. Similar decision to Irish, Welsh and Italian outcomes so what sort of pressure, if any, does this put on RFU for their mid-April decision for the English game?

Date: 01 April, 2020 10:19

I think that the English game has different circumstances to Ireland, Scotland Wales and Italy. They are all part of the Pro 14, meaning their top tier clubs play in an International Competition with no relegation. This means that the tiers below contain essentially feeder teams, so cancelling any promotion/relegation is a relatively minor matter.
In England we sort of copy the football round-ball game, where promotion/relegation is fiercely contested and a major part of the game. Also it is common for "investors" (or Sugar-Daddies?) to put in sums of money into lower tier teams in order to get promotion and get the local team up into the Big Time.

So a very different decision IMHO.

Date: 01 April, 2020 10:53

I disagree about the Welsh leagues. I have watched a lot of it this season as it has been broadcast on scrum v live most Friday evenings. The standard is comparable to the championship. Cardiff were the likely winners but teams like Ebbw Vale and Bridgend were in danger of relegation. The league contains teams with huge histories and the outcome matters to them. The team likeliest to have been promoted and now denied are Pontypool. Another world famous club who had won all 16 of their games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 16:21 by leeds exile.

Date: 01 April, 2020 20:11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net