How Fragile is Professional Rugby?
Posted by: TykesRugby.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 09:55

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2020 08:13 by Wildwillie .

Re: How Fragile is Professional Rugby?
Posted by: Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 13:23

Very to answer your question!

I think the model we attempted this season will become more prevalent in the Championshipmto be honest.

Interested to knownwhat the Prem clubs have done with their CVC dosh.......

Posted by: almostatyke (IP Logged)
Date: 27 March, 2020 19:15

I'm sure CVC wish they had kept their dosh in their pocket.

Whole new world will open up, eventually. Hopefully for the better, but old debts and investments will get lost in the mix for sure.

Posted by: leeds exile (IP Logged)
Date: 28 March, 2020 09:34

On the BBC Rugby podcast recently it was suggested that many Premiership clubs had used the CVC money unwisely in paying off debts and increasing salaries to attract players. I do not think government money should be used to bail out failing businesses .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/03/2020 15:39 by leeds exile.

Posted by: Rawdon ranter (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 20:06

Anyone seen an article in Saturday’s Guardian penned by Paul Rees on how the abrupt cessation of the season has jeopardised the finances of Coventry RFC.
Finding a £750k gap in their revenue because of the curtailed season they have been fortunate that their Benefactor ,Jon Sharp, has come forward to help them.
I suspect that a good few boardrooms of Championship teams will be having similar conversations.

Date: 30 March, 2020 20:31

Didn't see the article but it rings true. The money involved in keeping a RU club afloat is peanuts compared to Football. As an example Nigel Wray of Saracens did not hesitate when an additional £5 million plus was suddenly required to pay a fine. That would have kept a Championship Club going for at least 2 years.
So when necessary benefactors (provided you have one) just dig a little bit deeper into their pocket money allowance to keep the club going.
This is part of the reason why the cash-strapped rfu reduced the Championship funding IMHO.

Posted by: Grybz (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 21:48

I suppose the answer to the question is “very”, but I suspect professional rugby is not going to come out of the current situation any differently from any other form of business. I’m sure a lot of the rich benefactors that are bankrolling some of the clubs are going to have a stark choice between whether to keep ploughing money into the rugby clubs they are propping up or their day to day businesses, I would suspect it will be the latter in most cases.
The real worry was that the professional model in this country was looking a bit dodgy before the sport had the shutdown, the irony may just be that going semi-professional this season may just have worked in our favour in a bizarre kind of way. Can you imagine what would have happened if all this had happened last season? In some respects we have already had the pain that some of the other clubs may be about to go through. Not only may some of them find the purse strings being drawn tighter, but they will be having their central funding from the RFU cut too.
Worrying times for rugby, but worrying times for a lot of us.
Hope you are all staying well though

Date: 30 March, 2020 22:06

Under the current model, all clubs need a Sugar Daddy who is retired, with a fortune already safely in the bank.

We tried but a benefactor still developing his business, despite best intentions, didn't work.

Posted by: Carnegiette2 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 02:10

Quote:
Grybz
The real worry was that the professional model in this country was looking a bit dodgy before the sport had the shutdown, the irony may just be that going semi-professional this season may just have worked in our favour in a bizarre kind of way. Can you imagine what would have happened if all this had happened last season? In some respects we have already had the pain that some of the other clubs may be about to go through. Not only may some of them find the purse strings being drawn tighter, but they will be having their central funding from the RFU cut too.
Worrying times for rugby, but worrying times for a lot of us.
Hope you are all staying well though

I have also had this thought about our model..... others will be following this of that I am sure

Posted by: WPL (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 07:58

I think we are seeing others following our model now, look at the Nottingham announcement, Scottish as well.

It feels as though we are moving towards where we were several years ago, around the time Otley were in the championship (or whatever it was called then). There was 3 distinct divisions within the division, the professional teams, the part timers and the somewhere inbetween. I think this time it will be simpler where it's the people with a big money backer and the rest.

I do wonder when rugby resumes how similar it will look to it is now

Posted by: Beeston Lion (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 09:54

RugbyPass.com yesterday published an article in which the author (Sam Roberts) surmised that 3 or maybe 4 Premiership clubs are in danger of going out of business in the next few months. He highlights problems caused by paying wages which are not viable and continue to rise without any apparent control. The introduction of the marquee signing rule has not helped and is even seen to exacerbate the problem.

Date: 02 April, 2020 10:13

I wonder what the deal is with TV money at the moment, if no games are going on are clubs getting paid? If not you can see why a few might struggle without cash rich owners...

Posted by: Wildwillie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 17:25

The curtailed season has deprived lots of clubs of revenue. Will the same clubs be in a position to start a new season whenever that may be. I cannot see pre-season starting in the next 8 weeks.

(Sm124)

Posted by: leeds exile (IP Logged)
Date: 22 April, 2020 16:10

Some reality is gradually seeping into the consciousness of our sporting bodies at last. Today the National Football league have ended their seasons. Issues about promotion and relegation to be decided later. It is time for Premiership rugby to draw a veil under their season too. It is hardly as if anyone is on tenterhooks as to the outcome. Saracens are relegated and the position at the top really does not matter in the grand scheme.

Date: 22 April, 2020 16:33

Trouble is Leeds Exile (and I agree with you 100% BTW!) is that money talks, its interesting that wherever money is prevalent at the top end of sport they are reluctant to end things.

I wonder how many top flight clubs could afford a reduction in TV/CVC money, I wonder how many football clubs could do the same. Whilst I have a degree of sympathy as it should be guaranteed money it does demonstrate how fragile top flight sport is.

Date: 23 April, 2020 07:54

As the lockdown drags on, with no serious suggestion of easing the restrictions, more clubs will be feeling the financial squeeze. How many professional clubs will, I wonder, fold or have to revert to being amateur?

Date: 23 April, 2020 08:00

based on the news last night from Chris Whitty that suggests social distancing may continue until the end of the year - I wonder when we will actually get back to rugby? This surely has massive financial implications for all concerned as we can't say when rugby will be back for the paying public.

Health comes first for certain, but I do wonder what our sport will look like at the end of this...

Date: 23 April, 2020 08:05

Quote:
WPL
Health comes first for certain, but I do wonder what our sport will look like at the end of this...

Like it did 30 years ago perhaps?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net