Highlights
Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 09:15

[www.epcrugby.com]

That first try was most likely the most well executed Tigers try I have seen in at least 2 seasons.
Good to see Taute stretch his legs also.

Re: Highlights
Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 10:23

Thanks AW. I was there, but didn't quite realise quite how good our tries were. The handling was the best I've seen for a long time and Holmes was magnificent. Still a few defensive weaknesses to iron out - Pau's second try was dreadful. At least we looked like a team again.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 10:41

tries we made and the two run ins were well taken too. As for their second try, Tomas knew he'd missed (probably the inside man did too) after, hand on his head.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 11:09

Looked like Tomas and Sione weren't communicating - but I don't mind that - it will come. It wasn't a system failure or a failure of individual responsibility or skills - just a a bit of confusion.

More importantly the handling of the forwards in a couple of those tries was really good and they were all well finished. Worth had to finish his having dummied outside (Jonah would have had another) but he did so well - good pace and awareness and a great line - it looked like it might even have been coached!(Sm2) Thought it was his best game for us in a long time.

Jonah's finishing was excellent and George Ford holding his man before releasing him for his second was lovely. That big winger of theirs will have nightmares about Jonah going outside him like that.

I still think overall the difference was in having two big, bruising second rows at last who dominated the contact area alowing quick ball for Ben to let others play off the front foot.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 11:11

Quote:
Rich W
Looked like Tomas and Sione weren't communicating - but I don't mind that - it will come. It wasn't a system failure or a failure of individual responsibility or skills - just a a bit of confusion.

Once the language barrier is sorted, this is less likely to be an issue.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 11:19

Worth is really good at coming into the line and at releasing the last man. He's not a broken field runner like Telusa which can affect our tactics switching between the two but he certainly offers things in many areas.

Date: 19 November, 2019 12:21

Might be in the minority but I prefer having Reffell in the back row than without him.
To the point where I would think about having him as out and out starting 7 having Thompson and Taufua rotate more at 8 and to give Reffell rests at 7, which might be for the best given how much rugby Taufua has played this season and Thompson age/injuries.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 13:15

And rotate Sione with Hanro?

Date: 19 November, 2019 13:33

Yes.
Unless we plan on playing a very heavyweight back row then would have them both at 6 and 8.

Reffell in 3 games V Worcester, Saracens and Pau is 40 tackle made 0 missed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2019 13:33 by Ayerzawannabe.

Posted by: KevinR (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 16:55

Just a reminder that Taufua hasn't played that much rugby this year: the recent head knocks came at a bad time for us, but I see he's been training this week. He played on and off for Crusaders (Whetu Douglas was the preferred choice) and only half a game each week for the Mako until the Mitre 10 knock-out stage.

Date: 19 November, 2019 17:59

Quote:
KevinR
Just a reminder that Taufua hasn't played that much rugby this year: the recent head knocks came at a bad time for us, but I see he's been training this week. He played on and off for Crusaders (Whetu Douglas was the preferred choice) and only half a game each week for the Mako until the Mitre 10 knock-out stage.
Heís played 1,343 minutes in the last 9 months.

And heís had what a 2 week break between the ITM and Prem.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 18:42

That's only 16 games equivalent though.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 19:36

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Might be in the minority but I prefer having Reffell in the back row than without him.
To the point where I would think about having him as out and out starting 7 having Thompson and Taufua rotate more at 8 and to give Reffell rests at 7, which might be for the best given how much rugby Taufua has played this season and Thompson age/injuries.

Agree completely on the side looking better with Reffell at 7.

His defensive work reminds me of what Salvi used to do. He leads the line-speed, organises fringe defence and chooses when to attack the breakdown really well.

If Youngs were rested for Cardiff then I'd happily see Reffell skipper the side from 7.

Date: 19 November, 2019 19:57

Quote:
SK 88

You say only but itís more minutes than any other forward played us last season bar Kalamafoni and Cole

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 20:26

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
Quote:
SK 88

You say only but itís more minutes than any other forward played us last season bar Kalamafoni and Cole

Shhhhhh.... you'll have everyone moaning that we overplay Cole

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 20:34

We have the resources in the back row to rotate Taufau, especially given we aren't in the Champions cup. If we continue with Kalamafoni.

6.Liebenberg, Kalamafoni, Lewis
7.Reffell, Thompson, Coghlan
8.Taufua, Boladau

That's reasonable depth to rotate. Particularly with Boladau and Reffell starting the season well.

I've seen a lot of promise in the forwards this season. The telegraphed one out runners have still be hugely frustrating but against Pau we started seeing the forward receivers shifting the point of contact a bit more.

When under pressure I'd like to see a lot more pick and go's. It might be boring but it's a low risk way of keeping possession and sucking defenders in to narrow the fringe defence a bit.

Posted by: dontlookdown (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2019 12:37

How long is Boladau here for? I thought he was on loan as world cup cover.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2019 13:10

He was, but no date was given, and we might have arranged to extend this as well ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: tigersimon (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2019 17:59

From BBC RL interview yesterday- Murphy says Tigers will "certainly look at" signing loan players Andy Forsyth and Ifereimi Boladau long term.

"What we can do with salary caps and loans means they will go back to their loan clubs at some stage, but with the impact they've made, we would love to [sign them].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net