Ealing’s View On Saracens Relegation
Posted by: Mrs H (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 10:22

In The Times today
IMPACT OF SARACENS RELEGATION ON CLUBS
Sir, You report that the punishment for Saracens’ salary-cap breaches over several seasons leaves the team coming to the Championship for a “sabbatical” (sport, Jan 23). This is not a punishment for Saracens but a punishment for the hard-working and often struggling teams in the Championship. Being regularly second in the Championship, Ealing Trailfinders have held our own with pride against the likes of Bristol and London Irish, even beating them in the British and Irish Cup, but despite playing at our best against Saracens (which we will), we will be hard-pushed to make an impression.

Moreover, sides lower down the Championship could face annihilation and an unsustainable injuries list that could leave them unable to field a full team. With unwavering support from our biggest sponsor, we have worked hard to achieve and maintain our position, so why should we have this “perfect storm” thrust upon us because of the misdeeds of others?
Hugh Hutchison
Former president, Ealing Trailfinders Rugby; London W13

Re: Ealing’s View On Saracens Relegation
Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 10:51

He's got a point that I bet no-one considered.

Posted by: Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 11:43

Good letter.
Championship clubs dont want them either!

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 11:55

Absolutely correct. Relegation to the lower London leagues, release of professional players and banning of club officials would be a far better punishment.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 11:56

Strengthens my belief that they should have left the penalty at -35 points this season (with the bottom team relegated - even if it is us) and another -35 point penalty next season and a larger (double) fine.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 12:00

Fair enough...if the championship all feel the same way, that relegation zone is unavailable.

Looks like no one will want to accomodate the cheats...

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 12:22

So the championship does have too big a gap from the premiership in terms of quality

Posted by: daktari (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 12:23

Salarysins can join the Pro 14.

Posted by: dontlookdown (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 12:39

To be fair, they wouldn't be complaining about injuries and unfairness if Sarries had been relegated legitimately. That is how league competition works with relegation and promotion. The side that comes down to the Championship is usually significantly better than the side that comes up to it (particularly in rugby). Would they have had that complaint with Tigers coming down? We have players of equivalent skill and value, ie Manu, Ford, Genge

Date: 25 January, 2020 12:59

Probably not because Tigers have been playing badly enough to be bottom of the league.
Saracens, however, still have and may still have sufficient players in their squad when they are relegated to be good enough to sit at the top half of the Premiership.
Not sure about your term, legitimate relegation either especially given Saracens dubious practices.
Far better for them and for the health of rugby to go down to the bottom leagues a la Richmond, even though that was a different situation

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 13:31

Not sure how it would be far better for the health of rugby to have a pro team basically go into admin.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 14:02

I agree with SimonG19. Clubs who have not been able to compete financially in the pro game have had to go down to the lower leagues and start again. Saracens' financial doping is far worse than mal-administration but they have been foisted on the Championship next season. They have become a plutocrat's ego trip and should get back to their roots to rebuild.

Date: 25 January, 2020 15:59

Quote:
Tom Paine
I agree with SimonG19. Clubs who have not been able to compete financially in the pro game have had to go down to the lower leagues and start again. Saracens' financial doping is far worse than mal-administration but they have been foisted on the Championship next season. They have become a plutocrat's ego trip and should get back to their roots to rebuild.
+1

Posted by: horusthewasp (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 18:03

I can see their point. I suppose with the possibility of a mass exodus of Sarries players at the end of the season, the team that actually plays in the Championship will probably look very different to the team we all know.

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 19:07

Those of us down the A508 saw another side of the Saracens saga last night. Now don't get me wrong, Saints were dreadful and deserved to lose - arrogant and complacent are words that come to mind. But, and its a big 'but', Irish were able to play without any fear and certainly made some big calls when they would normally have taken three easy points. This trend will logically continue until the end of the regular season which gives us a freebie look at a league mindset similar to a year of ring fencing. I cannot help but feel that the correct decision would have been to relegate not only Saracens but also the bottom placed team and allow two teams to come up from the Championship. Now, before you jump on top of me, despite being a Saints fan, I have no desire to see Tigers get relegated whatsoever - not good for you, not good for us, not good for the Premiership but nonetheless I believe it would have been the equitable solution to see the weakest side AND Saracens get relegated. Lots of other complications of course and nobody would want to see another London Welsh situation but ambitious clubs in the Championship ( not many ) should not have their chances compromised twice with the resources available to Falcons this season and Saracens next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/01/2020 19:10 by Aberavon Wizard.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 19:11

Quote:
This trend will logically continue until the end of the regular season which giving us a freebie look at a league mindset similar to a year of ring fencing.

I suspect, given what we have seen this season, this does not apply to us.

But you are right that the malign appearance of ringfencing applies.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 25 January, 2020 19:30

To be honest Aberavon Wizard, I don't think the sudden arrival of ringfencing made much difference last night. You were a bit poor, to be honest, but your poor is still better than our above average, so I wouldn't worry. LI and Bris both play chuck- it-about rugby - and often it pays off, especially if their opponents, like you and Glaws have an off day. But they won't win anything.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 10:54

Quote:
Tom Paine

Yep.

Will no longer be a pro club. And tbh, their playing facilities are hardly top class.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 11:31

Were I a sorries fan(and thank the lord I'm not sir) I'd be worried if their sponsers will stick around with the name in the mud and will the Wrays keep pumping money into what is now a near dead cash cow?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net