Current Page: 1 of 10
Exeter to discuss dropping Chiefs
Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 17:30

After a petition

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 17:30 by Tiggs.

Re: Exeter to discuss dropping Chiefs
Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 17:53

Good. End of.

Posted by: GT1 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 18:36

They should be called the Exeter Exocets named after their flying into rucks habits!!!

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 19:01

About time.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 19:11

Inevitable. It's not going to go away, so they've got to ask themselves is it really worth the hassle to dig in.

Posted by: daktari (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 19:59

They should have done this sometime ago, they knew it was coming, there has been plenty of indicators over the last couple of years of the offence cause. Better to be proactive than dragged kicking and screaming in trying to defend the indefensible.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 20:22

I can understand the issue, it just never bothered me. This probably says more about my ignorance but I wonder whether any indigenous peoples of what we now call the Americas feel this is an issue, let alone a major one given the appalling genocide and continuing appalling dIscrimination experienced in that continent.

Posted by: SimW (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2020 20:24

How long before the scrutiny shifts to Saracens?

Date: 08 July, 2020 21:14

Quote:
Stopsy
I can understand the issue, it just never bothered me. This probably says more about my ignorance but I wonder whether any indigenous peoples of what we now call the Americas feel this is an issue, let alone a major one given the appalling genocide and continuing appalling dIscrimination experienced in that continent.

Plenty do - enough that Exeter have been contacted several times about it in the past. Also, the Washington NFL team are currently consulting on changing theirs, too, because of sustained pressure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2020 21:15 by Brownian Motion.

Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 06:07

It also appears that, in America at least, the issue has become a "Hill to Die On" for racists, closet and otherwise. Not a good look for a sports organisation PR wise.

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 07:41

I tend to agree with the sentiment. There is a good chance it will upset people who have actual claim to the name and there is no huge historical reason to cling to the name.

Drop it now, spend a few quid on re-branding and move on.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 08:13

Quote:
SimW
How long before the scrutiny shifts to Saracens?

My main thoughts on that are that it only ever comes up as "whatabout" rather than as a discussion on its own merits, and Saracens have been a prominent club since at the latest 1998 and these kinds of sustained grassroots campaigns has to my knowledge never even been started.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 09:02

Date: 09 July, 2020 09:07

Quote:
IanC
It also appears that, in America at least, the issue has become a "Hill to Die On" for racists, closet and otherwise. Not a good look for a sports organisation PR wise.

Dan Snyder (owner of the Washington franchise) has shown himself to be a bigot in this matter for decades. He plays the classic 'but I have black friends!' by having started a foundation ostensibly dedicated to the advancement of Native American interests, all whilst claiming that the name of the team he owns isn't offensive to anyone and is actually a tribute.

EDIT: and that foundation, as predicted, is a complete smokescreen - [eu.usatoday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2020 10:29 by Brownian Motion.

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 09:49

Native Americans are actually a great number of different peoples and nations, Do we actually know which ones are offended by Exeter Rugby calling themselves the Chiefs or have they possibly never heard of Exeter. As for the wearing of feathered warbonnets, probably only worn by certain plains tribes Sioux, Comanche for example at ceremonial occasions these can be purchased freely in Native American run shops, I am sure they are sold with the intention of someone actually wearing them. I saw them for sale in a shop in Monterey run by a lady of proud of her Chumash heritage, they as a people never wore such items. Do we question non-French wearing a beret, or those that return from Spain or Mexico with a sombrero, is dressing up against the law?

Date: 09 July, 2020 10:11

Funnily enough, that sort of whataboutery is exactly what racists like Dan Snyder and others use to defend the name of the Washington franchise.

As for examples:

[www.bloodandmud.com]

[www.devonlive.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

[imperialglobalexeter.com]

Date: 09 July, 2020 10:59

Numerous Native American groups are on record for noting their objections to the insensitive and offensive cultural appropriation of their imagery, names and culture (not withstanding that the term Redskins is offensive for reasons other than cultural appropriation) and have called for it to be discontinued. While few of them will have heard of Exeter - though it would be worth noting that it isn't none just becuase people aren't aware of you doing something wrong doesn't make it right - that isn't really a valid argument outside the classroom.

Date: 09 July, 2020 11:10

It's also worth noting that there is a live debate in Cleveland about renaming their baseball team - which will likely happen. They have already got rid of their - fairly offensive - Chief Wahoo logo - which is directly comparable to Exeter's Little Big Chief.

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 11:37

I can understand that Redskins is offensive but I do not see that Chiefs in its self is any more offensive than say Warriors. I know some will say that taken in conjunction with the War bonnet is what makes it offensive but frankly I just don't see why. Obviously Northampton should change their name as it is patently ridiculing the Catholic Church and few of the Northampton community can claim to be Saints.

Date: 09 July, 2020 11:48

That whataboutery just doesn't fly, John.

Current Page: 1 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net