Current Page: 1 of 2
O/T Test Match
Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2020 17:10

Eng. 300 on already, thunder storms predicted tomorrow so probably not much, if any, play. Take a risk, put them in for ten overs tonight

Re: O/T Test Match
Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2020 18:53

Yep - worked pretty well. Going to be one of the easier motm decisions I reckon.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 26 July, 2020 19:15

Any idea why Woakes and Archer started the bowling today when a follow on was a slim possibility?

Date: 26 July, 2020 19:20

Root's not a very good captain?

Date: 27 July, 2020 09:21

You might be right but, assuming, he spoke to his bowlers and you have to handle them properly. If asked Anderson would open the bowling with a broken arm, a broken leg and the other arm tied behind his back. Broad has the same attitude to bowling as he does with his batting, I'm not walking it's up to you to prove I am out and would bowl all day if asked. Archer has speed, line and length but has difficulty combining all 3 over a sustained period. Add in that if the W/indies had recovered to take a decent lead, we would have batted 4th on a tricky pitch so it, sort of, made sense

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2020 09:29

Difficult choice, but they wanted to bowl the pair first if WI did follow on.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Date: 27 July, 2020 09:59

That might be the reason but it's not an indication of sound captaincy. It's nonesense to try to deal with a second problem before the first.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2020 10:25

I agree with you by the way.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2020 11:43

Quote:
Idle
Add in that if the W/indies had recovered to take a decent lead, we would have batted 4th on a tricky pitch so it, sort of, made sense

I didn't know the team batting second could enforce a follow on and bat again after their second innings. That new rule passed me by.

Date: 27 July, 2020 12:45

Sorry Rushden, you lost me on that one, they are talking about why Eng didn't start the morning with A&B when we still had a chance of bowling them out for less than 170

Date: 27 July, 2020 13:29

It's not as if they had to enforce the follow on - just that opening with Anderson Broad might have moved the game on more quickly.

Date: 27 July, 2020 14:40

Ni play yet, rain due to stop roundabout tea time

Date: 27 July, 2020 15:20

My mistake. I'd missed the point about us enforcing the follow on. I just read it wrong.

Apologies.

Date: 27 July, 2020 18:39

No apology required.
. I am assuming that Root spoke to his bowlers about it, a bit foolish if he didn't

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/07/2020 19:55 by IDLETIMES.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 27 July, 2020 19:06

Some suggestion by pundits that England were keeping Anderson and Broad fresh for if they could enforce the follow on.

Personally I think it might just have been Silverwood and Root wanting Archer and Woakes first up. Dowrich has struggled against the shorter stuff and Holder was looking solid. Archer to rough Dowrich up and Woakes to put it on a dime and draw the big shot out of Holder. Not saying I would have opened up with them but I can see some logic there. Obviously didn't work in that opening hour though.

I really don't like the lengths that Archer is frequently asked to bowl by England. His outstanding first class record with Sussex has been built on bowling a seamers line and length with his natural pace and bounce. Not banging it in short. Test pitches being better for batting than County Championship wickets seem to have seen that change very quickly in a few Tests.

Date: 27 July, 2020 23:36

I can't argue with the last paragraph Captain. What they seem to want to do with Archer is a bit like what the coaches wanted Broad to do when he first came onto the England scene. He was tall so they wanted him to bang it in. It took a while before they realised he was better bowling a good length.

Hopefully they'll get to a point where they encourage Archer to do similar.

Date: 28 July, 2020 10:06

But do they need an Archer banging it in short for the overseas tours (e.g. Australia)?

Date: 28 July, 2020 10:16

He can bang it in short - well back of a length - but he shouldn't only be doing that.

But for and Ashes tour down under they need to sort out the batting in order to create some scoreboard pressure without which our bowlers are entirely incidental.

Date: 28 July, 2020 17:26

Fully agree Rich. Assuming they are all in one piece, the bowling will take care of itself, sort out the batting order starting with Root at 3

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2020 19:49

Melton boy MoM and MoS

I've still not forgiven my American work colleague for keeping me on the phone on my way to the first day of the 2015 Ashes Test at TB. I missed the first 4 of his 8 for 15. The American had not long started with us and it was the first time I had spoken to him. I kept saying I was on may way to a cricket match and it was the Ashes, he just ignored me and kept talking...I should have just hung up - we should never have let the Americans rule themselves...

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net