Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ring Fencing!!
Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 10:49

[www.bbc.co.uk]

This confuses me, what powers do the RFU have to consider this? I thought the PRL ran the clubs and the clubs are affiliated to the RFU, who make money from international matches to line their own pockets....er I mean to help finance the other leagues.

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 15:08

I still have a feeling that this is all a way to help Saracens one way or another, First we ring fence, then we scrap the cap as there is no worry of relegation for those with smaller budgets. Then Saracens fins a way of buying draft picks from other clubs so they get everything they want. I do not trust anything or anyone related to that toxic organisation.

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 15:42

It's concerning that the whole idea comes from their former CEO...

Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 16:48

I tend to agree that anything that comes with the stench of Eddie and Saracens is unappetizing to say the ieast. However, they could suffer if the above plan comes to pass because Steve Lansdown could buy and sell Nigel without noticing.
Of course, the rest of us will suffer worse!

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 17:19

I've never bought into that theory, they can only buy 45 players really and a rising tide lifts all boats. We're best placed to take advantage of a growing game, so getting more growth into English rugby will benefit us the most.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 18:17

To be (slightly) fair to him, didn't EG leave before the cap-trashing seasons? He left in 2015, seemingly quite close to the time Sarries and (allegedly) Bath had their earlier brush with the authorities (reports of that in December 2014).
And I seem to recall reading that one factor in the South African investment leaving was they didn't want to be linked to the cap-break activities - and they left in 2018.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 20:14

Quote:
SK 88
I've never bought into that theory, they can only buy 45 players really and a rising tide lifts all boats. We're best placed to take advantage of a growing game, so getting more growth into English rugby will benefit us the most.

Without a change in ownership and business model, not sure that we can compete with a rich man's hobby club.

You have to get your squad of "45" (or 55 or 65 even if your player budget is not restricted) players to gel as a team and play for each other but with more cash then your backup players can be better quality which allows you to maybe even rest your "first choice" team even if one really exists from your deep pool of quality players. Certainly means your team quality doesn't degrade when the inevitable injuries happen.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 22:08

Quote:
tigerburnie
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53608795
This confuses me, what powers do the RFU have to consider this? I thought the PRL ran the clubs and the clubs are affiliated to the RFU, who make money from international matches to line their own pockets....er I mean to help finance the other leagues.

The RFU are the powerbrokers of English Rugby...the revenue from the International team means they pay off the clubs. If you get TV on their side then the game is carved up for their purposes.

Ive long thought clubs should not have taken the money and now they dont seem able to do without it.

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net