Ryan Bower returns
Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 18:41

Ryan Bower has re-signed to finish of the depth at prop.

Not a big name signing but what we need in the front row. Experienced, good scrummager, presumably good value and won't block the young academy props if they develop well enough to demand game time.

With Genge/Gigena and Cole/Heyes as strong starters plus Leatigaga excellent as a sub on either side all we needed was a solid signing for depth. Bower covers that really well.

Re: Ryan Bower returns
Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 18:44

I would say that is now it in terms of important must signs for me.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 18:51

Welcome back Ryan

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 19:09

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
I would say that is now it in terms of important must signs for me.

What do the centres look like now?

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 19:13

12. Scott, Hardwick
13. Moroni, Taute, Porter,

I would like another centre but it wasn't in my priority with most of the back 3 being able to cover there.

With Kelly and Glynn development.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 10:42

Presumably as cover for Gigena away until December ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 11:31

Quote:
Ayerzawannabe
12. Scott, Hardwick
13. Moroni, Taute, Porter,

I would like another centre but it wasn't in my priority with most of the back 3 being able to cover there.

With Kelly and Glynn development.

Thanks, I couldn't visualise it and was too tired (lazy!) to look. Can the outside backs (or the 13s) cover 12, would be my only concern.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 11:36

12 looks very light - though maybe Henry can cover?

Date: 04 August, 2020 12:06

Quote:
Rich W
12 looks very light - though maybe Henry can cover?

More likely Taute covering 12 (which he has a fair bit in his career), then Worth covering 13 would be my guess.

Henry can play fullback so may be an option there. Murimurivalu and Steward will likely be ahead of Worth as a fullback so I hope he gets game time in the centre. I think his skills could be well suited to centre. He's got the passing and kicking game for it plus he's strong in defence. His high ball work has improved out of sight at 15 but he just lacks a yard of pace/acceleration to really shine there in my opinion.

Nadolo also played a fair bit of 12 with Fiji as another option.

The outside back options once Moroni and van Wyk arrive are looking really good so Taute covering 12 seems pretty likely I reckon.

Date: 04 August, 2020 12:44

Nadolo covering 12 in place of Manu, that could be fun.

Date: 04 August, 2020 13:00

Not decrying the validity of either Taute ot Nadolo at 12 but neither is exactly a second playmaker. Which puts pressure elsewhere.

Agree on Worth btw.

Date: 04 August, 2020 13:04

And neither was Manu when he played there ?

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Date: 04 August, 2020 13:40

Understood - though he didn't often do so. But the point stands. As I said - no intention to diminish their potential contribution but when Manu played there the playmaker issue applied...

Date: 04 August, 2020 14:48

I reckon we might see 15 used as a second playmaker in that situation, Rich.

Steward, Worth (I don't think fullback is his best position but he's of course still an option), Henry and McPhillips are all fullback options who have played fly-half before and can act as a second playmaker.

At full strength with Moroni and van Wyk here Murimurivalu will be first choice fullback. Without all three available and a few fullback options we could potentially see Murimurivalu on the wing though.

A slightly off the wall one but I could see Harry Simmons getting game time in the back three again over the coming weeks with van Wyk/Moroni not arrived yet and Aspland-Robinson still rehabbing. With JvP and Law in the development squad it could be an option. Simmons could also perform that second playmaker role from fullback.

Only time will tell what Borthwick's tactics will be but we could play off 9 more as well. More carriers in the forwards and bigger ball carriers on the wings to come looking for work suggests playing from 9 more. Then when we spread it wider having a 13 such as Moroni who's good in space could payoff.

Overall I like where the squad has moved in the backs. Versatility, good promotion from the academy. Then the players brought in are either quality (Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Moroni, van Wyk) or young project players who won't cost too much but have potential kick on and become key parts of the squad longer term (Henry, Porter, Potter). In recent years we have made too many signings that fall between top class first XV players and youngsters with time to develop.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 15:54

I'm not sure about 12 as a second play maker is that worthwhile, not too many of the top Euro teams play it that way any more. I think a wider play maker at 13 or 15 is a better solution in the modern game. Obviously you really want someone who can do both.

Date: 04 August, 2020 18:44

Not sure we have a wider playmaker either.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 11:15

Hardwick could play 13 ala Henry Slade, McPhillips or Henry at full back. Worth is a little bit like this and could be developed further in that direction.

Goode & Slade were both 10s coming through and were switched to those wider roles around 21-22ish because they were better there for their clubs, sometimes necessity becomes the mother of invention!

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 18:29

We just don't know until it all restarts, one way and another it looks a more interesting finish to the season than it would have been had the season run it's natural course

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net