Current Page: 1 of 2
Team up for Toulon
Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 11:00

Steve Borthwick has made two changes to the Leicester Tigers matchday squad which was prepared for the European Challenge Cup quarter-final ahead of Saturday’s semi-final away to Toulon.
The Tigers starting line-up has one change, with Kini Murimurivalu shifting from the wing to full-back and Harry Potter included on one wing with Nemani Nadolo on the other for the trip to France battle it out for a place in the 2019/20 Challenge Cup Final.
On the bench, Thom Smith replaces Jordan Taufua, who is unavailable after knee surgery this week and Dan Kelly is included as one of the replacement backs.
Ellis Genge, Tom Youngs and Dan Cole make up the front row, with Tomás Lavanini and Calum Green as the locks in the tight five.
Tommy Reffell, who missed the club’s last outing, against Northampton Saints at Welford Road, starts at openside flanker alongside Harry Wells and Hanro Liebenberg in the Leicester back row.
Ben Youngs and George Ford are the half-backs, with the Tigers fly-half to make his first appearance in three weeks after sitting out the last two games with an ankle issue.
Jaco Taute also returns after a spell on the sidelines with a knee complaint, and is at outside centre alongside Matt Scott in the midfield.
Charlie Clare, Facundo Gigena, Nephi Leatigaga are the front-row cover, with back-rowers Luke Wallace and Smith the other forwards on the bench. Ben White, Zack Henry and Kelly are the backs included among the replacements.
Speaking about the matchday squad named, the Tigers head coach said: “We have got a great blend of experienced players.”
“We have got players who have experienced European rugby, we have got players who have recently been playing in France and also some exciting younger players who are products of the Leicester Tigers Academy.”
Discussing the addition of Smith in place of the injured Taufua, he said: “Thom Smith has been excellent from the day I started.”
“In terms of work ethic, I don’t think anybody works harder than him.
“He applies himself to improve every single day and is somebody who brings immense energy to the team.”
And, looking ahead to Saturday’s fixture and the French opponents, Borthwick added: “Toulon are a famous club, rich in history.”
“They’re a team that has undergone a bit of change but they are a team that are still full of international players, big name players and I think everyone is excited about going down there and taking on this challenge.
“Lots of people have said to me this week, outside of this squad, nobody gives us a chance in this game.
“What I see is a squad of young men who are determined to do well and are committed to do well and will be well prepared.”
Leicester Tigers (v RC Toulonnais, Stade Felix-Mayol, Saturday 8.00pm - UK time)
TIGERS XV
15 Kini Murimurivalu
14 Harry Potter
13 Jaco Taute
12 Matt Scott
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 George Ford (vc)
9 Ben Youngs
1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Calum Green
6 Harry Wells
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Hanro Liebenberg

REPLACEMENTS
16 Charlie Clare
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Nephi Leatigaga
19 Thom Smith
20 Luke Wallace
21 Ben White
22 Zack Henry
23 Dan Kelly

RC Toulonnais Team: TBC

Re: Team up for Toulon
Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 11:09

I just hope hey give it a real go. Best form of defence being attack and all that. Bin most of the bad/negative kicking.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 11:39

Given the pitch and the likely weather I suspect kicking is exactly what we'll be doing. And to be fair I think our kicking game (and chase) has been good since the reumption - it's just deathly boring.

Disappointed that Steward hasn't kept his place.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 12:15

I'll take being bored to death with a display of good 10 man rugby as long as we win, the performance is key, we show up and perform, then that squad is good enough to win.

Date: 25 September, 2020 12:22

All about the performance for me

Date: 25 September, 2020 13:16

I want to win this - and I'll take any means possible - but at some point, if we're going to improve, we've got to start playing a bit more rugby!

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 13:17

RC Toulonnais: 15 Daniel Ikpefan, 14 Masivesi Dakuwaqa, 13 Bryce Heem, 12 Duncan Paia'aua, 11 Gabin Villière, 10 Louis Carbonel, 9 Tane Takulua; 1 Jean Baptiste Gros, 2 Anthony Etrillard (c), 3 Beka Gigashvili, 4 Swan Rebbadj, 5 Romain Taofifenua, 6 Charles Ollivon, 7 Raphael Lakafia, 8 Sergio Parisse.
Reps: 16 Bastien Soury, 17 Sébastien Taofifenua, 18 Emerick Setiano, 19 Erwan Dridi, 20 Brian Alainu'uese, 21 Julien Ory, 22 Anthony Meric, 23 Facundo Isa.

Pretty hefty side from Toulon. Takulua used to play for Newcastle, so we know how dangerous he can be.

6-2 bench split gives an idea of their tactics.

I doubt this one will be much for the neutrals, but should be interesting for us!

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 13:23

Quote:
Rich W
I want to win this - and I'll take any means possible - but at some point, if we're going to improve, we've got to start playing a bit more rugby!

This.

And I did say "bad" kicking of which there is still too much imvho.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 25 September, 2020 13:31

I think our kicking has improved massively - there's just far too much of it. We are utterly predictable.

Date: 25 September, 2020 13:54

Well just to be annoying, I don't think we kick too often in particular, nor particularly badly (not recently anyway), the problem is our total lack of invention in the positions where we don't want to kick. So when we get the ball in the oppo half and want to play but we can't string anything together, that's the problem. After going nowhere and not knowing what to do inevitably you try another kick, it's the only thing to do!

In specific we do kick away turnover ball and half breaks round the wing too much, I think that is a lack of confidence associated with the poor play in attack in general.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 14:33

Does anyone know if Steward is injured or dropped?

Baptiste Serin is a big loss for Toulon with Belleau already injured. Etzebeth another big loss.

I genuinely think Tigers should have a shot in this.

Their skipper Etrillard is a good player but can be targeted in the scrum. Jean Baptiste Gros is a good player but inexperienced. I'd expect Cole to pressure him. Gigashvili is a good club player, strong in scrum, reliable. A Georgian Michele Rizzo on the tighthead if you will. I'd expect Genge to get the better of him though.

Masivesi Dukawaqa is one to watch. Another Fiji Sevens Olympic gold medalist turning his attention to XVs.

I rate Takulua very highly and Carbonel is extremely talented if inexperienced. They are also Toulon's second choice halfbacks though with Serin and Belleau injured. Good players but again I'd expect Youngs and Ford to win the tactical kicking and game management battle.

The Toulon back row is excellent. Isa on the bench is huge impact. Ollivon and Lakafia are very good players. Parisse meanwhile will do Sergio Parisse things. I expect a couple of lineout steals, turnovers, then an unnecessary offload that leads to a counter attack try.

Posted by: L.F (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 15:05

What are the chances that Toulon can't put out a team on the day and so Leicester go straight through to the final?

Posted by: Duckonstilts (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 15:08

Good luck to you. It would be nice for all English clubs (Except the perpetual cheats) to win. And you deserve a bit of luck.

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 15:16

I hoping for 9-6 win with conditions suitable for writing a poem...Scottish ref though - always been in anti-English cahoots with French.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 16:11

Doesn't seem to be that many jackals in that Toulon pack.
Reffell and Wells have been very effective so hopefully a good place to target.

Posted by: 000mjg (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 17:46

Quote:
Duckonstilts
Good luck to you. It would be nice for all English clubs (Except the perpetual cheats) to win. And you deserve a bit of luck.

Cheers dude, appreciated

Date: 25 September, 2020 17:49

Quote:
Duckonstilts

Yes, hopefully we get a Saracens v Toulouse final in the champions cup & a Bristol v Tigers challenge cup one!

Though tell the truth I think I'd like a Bordeaux final if we were to get there, if I could get a ticket I'd do the quarantine for a final. What are the entry requirements for France at the moment?

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 21:20

I worry if Tigers do get to the Final they will be destroyed by Bristol.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Date: 25 September, 2020 21:37

If Tigers get to the final it will be a massive achievement and statement of progression. Bristol and Wasps are playing delightful rugby to watch, we can learn

Date: 25 September, 2020 22:17

Who knows what we might do if we win tomorrow.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net