3 days between games, who do you pick for last two games?
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 15:01

As the title says, we have three rest days before the Bristol match then three rest days from that to Quins.

Our non-internationals will get a mini-break of 7 weeks until the Prem returns on Nov 20th (current plan). No idea if the plan is to keep them in and play a couple of friendlies or what. (Depending on when fixtures fall (announced on Tuesday) a warm up v Newcastle could be mutually beneficial).

Teams below but a couple thoughts: We'll want to get some minutes in Van Wyk & Mamukashvili I think. For Mamu its only fair to give him a shot at making the Georgia squad for the Autumn Nations Cup. If he doesn't play at all I'm not 100% sure they will select him. For Van Wky he's fit and been playing a high standard, I'd really love to see him play twice. I think Genge, Ford & Youngs will be our only England players so don't see the point in playing them twice.

Weds @Bristol

Gigena --- Mamukashvili --- Leatigaga
------Henderson -------- Enever
Chessum --- Smith --- Wallace

White
-------Henry
-------------- Porter
-------------------- Kelly
Williams ------------- Van Wyk
-------------Steward

Bench: Kerr, Bower, Heyes, Lewis, Coghlan, Simmons, Hardwick, Potter

Leatigaga was the only one to get significant minutes v.Toulon which may affect selections. On the bench I'd use Simmons as a back three sub unless of course White gets injured. Let White get 80 mins under his belt.

Sunday v Quins

Genge --- Youngs ---- Cole
---- Lavanini ----- Wells
Wallace -- Liebenberg-- Reffell

Youngs
----- Ford
----------Scott
---------------Taute
Nadolo ----------- Van Wyk
-----------Steward

Bench: Mamukashvili, Gigena, Heyes, Green, Lewis, White, Henry, Potter

As above RE: Van Wyk, outside backs are more able to double up as generally less bashed about, plus want to see that back three get an outing. With Robshaw and Evans in the Quins backrow I'd want more mobility so go with Reffell & Wallace.

Re: 3 days between games, who do you pick for last two games?
Posted by: odd-shaped vagaries (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 15:30

Not Henry on Wednesday, he's needed for Quins

The referee is the final arbitrary
.. dementiaaahll!

Date: 27 September, 2020 15:41

You'd start him ahead of Ford?

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 19:27

The end of this miserable season can't come soon enough.

Covid-19 (no crowds with numerous devalued fixtures), World-Cup hangover, Saracens debacle on top of the 'normal' loss of your best players to play in the Internationals has made this season a complete and utter farce. Whoever wins it are really winning nothing much.

Must say that I'm completely flat about Tiger's in particular and rugby in general at the moment and see little to look forward to.

Date: 27 September, 2020 19:54

Also Exeter rumbling to wins with their blatantly illegal play just ignored by the referees and the press. Obviously if you are a dedicated Exeter fan its great but as a neutral it is dispiriting to watch.

I was glad to have it back, but the backsliding from the referees was unbelievably quick even for their usual standards and now we have unstoppable mauls with a vanishing middle for the defence and unlimited phases rugby league bashing up once you get within 10 yards of the line.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 21:08

There is a solution to the problem. Well trained and consistent refs and some decent management of them which gives them a productive improvement feedback loop. In the past I'd have suggested that they were well paid professionals too but that's not going to happen now.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Posted by: PrestonTiger (IP Logged)
Date: 27 September, 2020 22:34

Back to the teams selection... what sort of team do you think Briz and Quins will put out ? Briz with a 1st XV and Quins a weaker side ?
(I've not seen enough of either to know what they have been trying themselves).

Its tricky...take a humping off Briz then hope our 'best 15' can do something vs a (maybe) weaker Quins ?

The combination of midweek games and nothing to play for (c/o Sallerycens) distorts the league hugely.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 06:59

Surely Bristol will be saving themselves for the final?

Posted by: tigersimon (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 07:32

Quins play round 21 tonight so have extra rest before Sunday so would expect near full strength.

With Bristol having played 100 minutes on Friday Id expect a mixed midweek team.
The challenge cup final is not until 16th October (Champions cup 17th) and they need some league points to avoid ending up 5th and missing the play offs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2020 08:04 by tigersimon.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 07:46

Ah thanks Simon, for some reason the final was this weekend in my deluded little world

Date: 28 September, 2020 07:57

Quote:
PrestonTiger
Back to the teams selection... what sort of team do you think Briz and Quins will put out ? Briz with a 1st XV and Quins a weaker side ?
(I've not seen enough of either to know what they have been trying themselves).

Its tricky...take a humping off Briz then hope our 'best 15' can do something vs a (maybe) weaker Quins ?

The combination of midweek games and nothing to play for (c/o Sallerycens) distorts the league hugely.

As per Simon I'd expect the full Quins team, and almost an entirely changed Bristol team.

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 08:03

Quote:
Stopsy

We need 2 bonus point wins for top 4 so expect we'll go as strong as possible.

Posted by: Duncan Keene (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 08:07

While they did play 100 minutes, it was on Friday and was in Bristol as opposed to our trip to France, and they are currently 5th and needing to make up the points.

I do think they'll make changes but i'm expecting Bristol to be very, very strong. The only players i wouldn't expect to play are one's that did the full 100 minutes.

Yes, Quins play tonight so are on a pretty much normal turnaround to Sunday.

Against Bristol i think it could be really ugly and hope the online reaction can be less extreme than the Wasps game. I think we need to put penalties in the corners and try to camp down in their territory as much as possible, kicking penalties is just going to bring the pressure straight back on us.

I'd like to see Hardwick start at 12 on Wednesday, i don't feel he's had the same crack of the whip as others since the re-start.

Posted by: odd-shaped vagaries (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 08:29

Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries
Not Henry on Wednesday, he's needed for Quins

I would keep them both for Quins .. at most either on the bench for Wednesday with a maximum half game .. is there not a limit to the minutes they can play with a midweek game scheduled [though maybe Brizzle are spared that as they played Friday?]

Oh, and since that farce on Sunday Quins will definitely qualify for the big boys European Cup so they have less motivation .. we need all guns blazing

The referee is the final arbitrary
.. dementiaaahll!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2020 08:34 by odd-shaped vagaries.

Posted by: Captain Darling (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 09:40

Bristol

1.Gigena 2.Kerr 3.Heyes 4.Enever 5.Green 6.Lewis 7.Wallace 8.Smith
9.Youngs 10.Henry 11.Williams 12.Taute 13.Murimurivalu 14.van Wyk 15.Steward

16.Mamukashvili 17.Bower 18.Leatigaga 19.Chessum 20.Coghlan 21.Simmons 22.Hardwick 23.Olowofela

Quins

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Henderson 6.Wells 7.Reffell 8.Liebenberg
9.White 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Porter 14.Potter 15.Steward

16.Clare 17.Gigena 18.Heyes 19.Chessum 20.Smith 21.Youngs 22.Henry 23.van Wyk

Leatigaga has been very good since the restart but looked knackered against Toulon to be honest hence I hope he has a lighter week. Similar with Wallace and Green who I've been impressed with but both looked less lively so I'd prefer them to be involved in one game or the other rather than both 23s.

Most of all I hope that Lenny and Ford are picked separately. They aren't performing as a partnership currently so I'd prefer to see White get the experience alongside Ford and Henry alongside Youngs.

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 11:40

I think (and am pretty certain all things considered and based on selection against Sale and Wasps) that we (Bris) will not start anyone who started against Bordeaux and perhaps only a couple of them on the bench if at all.

Date: 28 September, 2020 11:45

Quote:
Stopsy

Bit like we did all those years ago in the payoffs when Bristol won at WR? Thereafter, the payoff final winners were crowned champions rather than the league toppers.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 28 September, 2020 14:14

I think it's fair to say the pool of players we have should be able to offer a chance of winning both games, however we are, as of yet not quite functioning as a team, whoever takes the field. Forward steps, rather than winning might be a better aspiration as we come to the end of a bizarre season, where we have been exposed badly by all and sundry. I am hoping the club will have learnt something about themselves and begin next season, whatever form that takes, with a sense of knowing where we are and more importantly where we need to go to lift our current position, winning at home would be a good place to start.

Date: 28 September, 2020 14:23

One thing that interested me was that despite the rat-a-tat-tat of games we've used a lot fewer players in this mini-season than in a normal one. Only 43 players used so far compared to an average of 53 over the previous 11 seasons and 56 in the pre-lockdown matches. We had a peak of 63 in 2017/18.

Even were SAR, Van Wyk and Mamukashvili to debut in the last two games its still a fair amount less. I think keeping that going longer term will bear fruits as players get more used to each other and "the system", then future acquisitions will slot into a team more readily.

Date: 28 September, 2020 14:31

Quote:
Captain Darling
Most of all I hope that Lenny and Ford are picked separately. They aren't performing as a partnership currently so I'd prefer to see White get the experience alongside Ford and Henry alongside Youngs.

Agreed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net