Current Page: 1 of 4
The Positive Sides of Relegation
Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:14

1. Most important IMHO, it draws the worst of the poison from the immediate situation regarding the Premiership. For the other clubs it will be the level playing field that the SC regulations aim for.

Granted, it moves the "difference in quality" problem to the Championship, but even if we lost all our Lions + Koch & Skelton over summer, the remaining squad + a few more academy promotions are likely to be able to come straight back up.

2. Short term - it gives the club the rest of this season, next season + two summers to really get our house in order beyond any shadow of doubt. If this seasons wins are voided and the other clubs get a 4 point win, and we play the remaining matches for no points, so be it. There's a precedent for that sanction with Melbourne Storm in the NRL.

3. Medium term - say 3 to 5 years time the squad will be significantly different, but may ironically be stronger as regards the domestic season. If we have to move on half-a-dozen or more seniors at £400K+, we're more likely to be within cap retaining players like Earl, Segun, Kpoko, Manu V and Malins on half the money without losing them for a third of the season.

4. Long term - the whole mess will give PRL the kick in the pants needed to start implementing the changes needed to administer a professional sport. At the moment it's little more than an old boys club stumbling along under the stewardship of well-meaning amateurs. Much as I hate CVC being involved - I think they're financial parasites - I think they will insist on a complete overhaul of administrative procedures, including an increase in transparency.

We've messed up big time with our cheating. Relegation is not only fully justified, but needed IMO. It's the chance to properly reset - I just hope the chance is not only taken, but fully embraced - by Saracens as well as every other club.

Re: The Positive Sides of Relegation
Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:18

to be honest I don't mind a season in the Championship. Would be quite enjoyable and even without retaining any Lions we would b e sure to come up

Would just miss the European trips though

Posted by: Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:25

And when you win the Championship, Daly will get some of that Silverware he left for.

Posted by: Barty II (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:31

Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
And when you win the Championship, Daly will get some of that Silverware he left for.

And here we have the classic example of what's happening - even when some of us have some humility and try and accept the punishment we should rightly be given, some people can't resist having a snipe, offering nothing to what's supposed to be a fans "discussion" board.

Posted by: 1876-Fez (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:32

Quote:
Vespulavulgaris

Wow..... quick to dismiss our chances in Europe this season!! ;-)

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:40

I found all the champ grounds I went to incredibly welcoming, Donny in particular are a great club to visit. Admittedly after 10 years it got a little stale mind...

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:49

Quote:
James_P
I found all the champ grounds I went to incredibly welcoming, Donny in particular are a great club to visit. Admittedly after 10 years it got a little stale mind...

Ampthill will be a culture shock to a few of them although Jon Kpopku has been playing on loan there. It's a bit of an uphill trek from the clubhouse to the first team pitch. Great welcoming club though.

Mo Botha is coaching there at the moment as well.

Posted by: LutonS (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:53

Interesting you bring up Ampthill, they are about as popular in amateur rugby circles as er, Sarries are in the Premiership.

Posted by: Roderick Flashheart (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:53

Great to hear the news about Mo! Always one of my favourite players

Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:56

Quote:
daz_71
Quote:
James_P

Ampthill will be a culture shock to a few of them although Jon Kpopku has been playing on loan there. It's a bit of an uphill trek from the clubhouse to the first team pitch. Great welcoming club though.

Always hated playing at Ampthill

Posted by: Aberavon Wizard (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:00

You could play your Academy team and still walk the Championship - the gulf is enormous.

Date: 17 January, 2020 15:25

Quote:
Barty II
Quote:
Vespulavulgaris

And here we have the classic example of what's happening - even when some of us have some humility and try and accept the punishment we should rightly be given, some people can't resist having a snipe, offering nothing to what's supposed to be a fans "discussion" board.

More of a dig at Elliot than at you guys.

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:36

I donít think youíll lose that many England players If you go down. No English club could afford Maro, Faz or the Vunipolas at short notice, and I donít think George will feel like he needs to leave for his england career.

On a quiet year, England will play 11 test matches, and I have a feeling that will be enough to keep the players reasonably sharp. Some of them might want to take a loan move to France (or maybe in the SH) for the time between the 6N and the lions tour in order to stake a claim for the lions.

Guys like Earl, Isiekwe, Singleton, Spencer, Loz, Malins etc might feel like they need to remain in the shop window, but it wouldnít surprise me if you retain most of the big English names.

Posted by: mfc (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:39

Retaining players requires deep pockets, whoís sure funding will be there now Nigelís stepped away

Posted by: TimothyQ (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:43

Quote:
mfc
Retaining players requires deep pockets, whoís sure funding will be there now Nigelís stepped away

I thought he had resigned his directorship, but was going to continue to support the club financially?

Iím sure the club will need his support next year, and I canít imagine that he would take his ball and go home

Posted by: Garp285 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:48

Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
Well at least he will still have the decent training facilities he left for.

Date: 17 January, 2020 15:49

Quote:
Garp285
Quote:
Vespulavulgaris
Well at least he will still have the decent training facilities he left for.

Almost certainly some of the best in the Championship.

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:50

Quote:
JO'G
Quote:
daz_71
Quote:
James_P

Always hated playing at Ampthill

It hasn't changed much I'm sure however they do have planning permission for a new rugby complex including a stadium less than a mile away but I think that will be a few years off.

A lot of things have been said in the past 10 weeks, Iíve stopped believing until I see it

duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2020 16:05 by mfc.

Current Page: 1 of 4
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net