Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Tigers in the City - Teamsí are up
Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2019 21:28

And all with the benefit of Coach Paint, doesn't matter how many fancy gizmos you have it comes down to basic skills that just needs a coach (qualified), ball and a bit of grass.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2019 22:11

Glad I missed it then.

For those that saw it, did the team selection offer any mitigation ? (trendy rugby word).

There were misgivings from a few when announced, a mix of inexperience, new signings, debuts.

Only 5 or 6 starters were regulars.

Having said that I would hoped they would have trained together as a starting team so would hope that the first half hour at least would have had some pattern to it?

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 05 October, 2019 23:05

Nothing to do with individual players. This is about a squad that is totally lacking in control, cohesion and basic skills (and culture, but that's another matter altogether).

Tigers starting XV similar strength on paper to us, our bench much stronger. Once again, outplayed by the opposition. Chudley, Obano, Priestland, Roberts, Dunn off the bench. 0 points in 35 minutes with the opposition down a man. Good grief.

People saying the setpiece was good. Was it? A couple of big scrums towards the end but we lost the ball twice at the scrum in the first half for unacceptable basic errors, and our lineout drive is as utterly useless as ever. Three drives on their line or near it, penalty or scrum to Tigers resulting from every one of them.

Coaches, ffs sort our ball retention out. Seriously.

Posted by: ilovebathtime (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 11:44

I'm very glad I didn't go from what has been said.

Having said that part of the reason I didn't go is because it was pre season. I'd hope we aren't giving away all our plays now, so going from side to side is excusable. Pre season really is about fitness and ironing out the basics rather than the result.

If things are going to be bad then let them be bad in pre season when it doesn't matter. We have 2 weeks to get things right. I'm not saying that they will come right, but I will hold off criticising until after the Bristol game at the earliest.

Date: 06 October, 2019 12:04

It's not about not giving away strike moves or things like that. There's a total lack of cohesion. Three games in. And the same key, critical flaw of not controlling the ball was even worse than it's been in recent years. We were lucky to hold onto the ball after three passes.

Tigers coach talking about a new culture this season and how they've had a bit of a reboot. It's been clear to see in their victory over Exeter and now yesterday. I would love us to go through a similar much needed transformation, and cultural shift, but as usual we'll continue to stumble on, winning nothing, doing nothing of note.

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 13:06

I'd be very wary of anyone quoting Tigers culture as a positive under the toxic Fords. Lets see how things look out once Murphy finds himself shafteed midway through the season and Ford Snr in charge.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 13:22

I hope Bath donít have to get into the mess we achieved over the last 5 seasons, particularly last season. In terms of Murphy Bering shafted, as I understand it, Borthwick is coming and Murphy is fully behind the coaching/management changes as recommended by Pat Howardís review and ongoing involvement. I await the timing and details of who does what but I very much doubt Geordan enjoyed the lessons last season.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 15:18

In the post match interview I saw Ford Snr was named as the DOR of Leicester Rugby. He seems to be in the box seat to me. Bye bye Geordan, Geordan good bye (repeat in a Bay City Rollers stylee) ad nauseam...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 15:21

Weíll see I suppose

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 15:37

Lets be fair Mike Ford coached Bath to a pretty successful period playing some good looking rugby. There may well be some collateral damage at the club but I expect Tigers to do well this season.
Tigers have chosen the Ford route, it's the aftermath that is painful!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Date: 06 October, 2019 16:19

Quote:
Stopsy
I hope Bath donít have to get into the mess we achieved over the last 5 seasons, particularly last season.

If that's what it takes to transform your club and start impressing, long term, then I welcome it frankly. It's the only way things are ever going to change at Bath.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 16:46

Do we have a defence coach at all?

The gaping holes in midfield would suggest not, but I guess someone must have been nominated?

Posted by: rainbow (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 16:50

Despite a previous scribe assuming that only six players would be starters at Bristol my bet is that the vast majority of yesterdays performers!!! will be present for the Bristol game, i know it is concerning not to say holy mackerell it was hopeless.

Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 17:20

I was not at the game and have not seen any of the play. I did see Tigers play Exeter and they had a good attitude in defending their line.

This hand wringing regarding where Bath are at this point in the season perhaps doesn't take into account possibly how much Tigers have improved defensively. Were Bath that bad or were Tigers good.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 17:29

Quote:
jojo
I was not at the game and have not seen any of the play. I did see Tigers play Exeter and they had a good attitude in defending their line.
This hand wringing regarding where Bath are at this point in the season perhaps doesn't take into account possibly how much Tigers have improved defensively. Were Bath that bad or were Tigers good.

Bath were stunningly inept in pretty much every department aside from the lineout which did seem to function well. Saying that Tigers did defend very well and had some imagination in attack.

It was in effect a friendly, but you'd at least expect Bath players to be able to retain the ball for a few phases and have some idea on how to defend.

Date: 06 October, 2019 17:41

Quote:
jojo
Were Bath that bad or were Tigers good.

Knock on, lost in contact, balls gone forward, knock on, lost in contact, balls gone forward, knock on, lost in contact, balls hone forward, knock on....

Just terrible. Forget about our clearouts being so inept Tigers got about 5 ruck penalties, forget our driving lineout being as useless as ever, or our side to side attack, the above sums up our main issue for years.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 19:30

I did go -it really wasnít the ball retention as much as missed tackles in the centre field and no penetration in attack. The handling seemed to consist of shovelling the ball sideways without committing any defenders, both centres guilty. We did try a few rehearsed wrap around that went ok but we then went wide without fixing anyone. Need better decision making in the mid field.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 21:19

It really was an awful game to watch.

Leviís Davis and Mike Williams were very good, the rest were average at best.

But, donít underestimate the performance of the Tigers rush defence, they were extremely effective all afternoon. We simply lacked answers.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 21:25

Quote:
rainbow
Despite a previous scribe assuming that only six players would be starters at Bristol my bet is that the vast majority of yesterdays performers!!!

To be pedantic what I actually said was only 6 of the starters this weekend were regulars.

This isn't about positive spin, just not surprised that when you change half the team from a week before things don't click.

The squad all need a game. From now on I would expect a more settled selection.

No excuses for poor basics of course. They have been training through the summer.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 22:15

I saw it.
Rather than get into the this or that as opinions on specifics can be distracting, what struck me most was how much it looked just like last season. Heaven knows what theyíve done under a 13week change of culture blah blah?
It was overwhelmingly unconvincing.

PECK

Current Page: 3 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net