Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Tigers in the City - Teams’ are up
Posted by: jojo (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2019 22:33

Levi’s Davis and Mike Williams were very good, the rest were average at best.

Will mike Williams make it as a first team pick. As an ex Tiger he played well for a couple of seasons but lost interest last season. Good squad player but a little one dimensional IMO. But good luck to him at your place.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 00:44

Hard to look particularly interested when your team finishes 11th.

Quote:
TG Kesmo
it really wasn’t the ball retention as much as missed tackles in the centre field and no penetration in attack.

Hard to get any fluency in attack when you're constantly losing the ball, easily a dozen times, if not more. Each time was accompanied by a groan from the crowd, getting louder and louder. I can't believe it's still an issue after all these years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 00:47 by ballsout.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 09:39

Some well known coach (Clive Woodward?, Eddie Jones?) said that if you give away x penalties in a match where x I think was 10 you lose the match...….

Pretty simple analysis in the modern game so I am sure it has truth about it.

I wonder what our penalty count was on Saturday? It felt like a lot!

Its also the fact that you work your way into their 22, which was hard against a well organised team like Leicester, and then you give away a penalty or indeed just give the opposition the ball and before you know it you are back on the half way line.

The continued approach time and time again of running straight at the opposition in the midfield and expecting a different outcome was the definition of madness...……..well it made me mad anyway!

Posted by: recman (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 09:41

Quote:
sid the seagull
I saw it.
Rather than get into the this or that as opinions on specifics can be distracting, what struck me most was how much it looked just like last season. Heaven knows what they’ve done under a 13week change of culture blah blah?
It was overwhelmingly unconvincing.

PECK

Exactly. I would much prefer it if we were poor, but in a different way to last season. But that felt like four months analysis to at least try and sort out our chronic issues had never happened. It was incredibly like last season.

I would imagine that in a lot of cases the hopelessly optimistic feeling most of us fans have before the start of the season has been drained already, three 'friendlies' in.

Date: 07 October, 2019 10:20

It was never going to be revolutionary compared to last year, this early in the season, but just some basics would be nice, minimum standard at home surely.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 10:38

I'm not sure I felt optimistic as such this season. More a case of neutrality - hoping for but not expecting improvement.

One of the features of good sides is that they will have a good 'coach on the pitch' - usually at 10. Ford, Cipriani, Farrell being the most extreme examples. These are the sort of players who will pretty much take charge of a training session and then take that out on to the pitch. I wonder who Bath Rugby's best coach on the pitch is. I can't see that either Burns or Priestland can be that player. You've got to have a lot of authority to do it, and neither player can truly claim to have even nailed down their own shirt. I would bet that if you took a poll of the entire squad as to who should start at 10 you'd get a 50/50 split.

I had hoped that Burns was going to be a Nick Evans type - just below international level, but someone who, with the added mix of experience, could rise above Premiership level - like one of those county pro cricketers who starts to score thousands of runs after the age of 30 when they get to understand their own game, and have acquired a really deep understanding of the sport in general.

Whether that was an over-estimation of Burns in the first place, or the combination of untimely injuries/form/coaching inconsistency, is a bit irrelevant. But the presence of two fly-halfs, neither of whom has ultimate authority over the players around them, is hurting us.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 10:47

In the first half Burns was indeed doing all the talking to the players in the huddle but it was unclear who was in the second half. I wasn’t able to pick out any one. Walker as captain did no talking to the team or the ref needs to step up if captain again seemed similar when captain in the first half against Exeter plus he had an indifferent game. Maybe not his suited role.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 10:51

Brings back sad memories of my freshers week all those years ago. All the talk, all the preparation, all the positive noises and at the end of the day no penetration whatsoever.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 12:11

Let’s remember that these are effectively pre-season friendlies as far as the coaching team is concerned & we were asked not to judge them on these performances. I recall seeing Bath take apart Scarlets in a pre-season friendly & then start the season in a lacklustre manner whereas Scarlets improved significantly. The first serious match is in a fortnight’s time against Bristol so let’s keep our powder dry until then. There’s certainly lots of learnings to take from these matches, not something they’ve done well in the past. Let’s hope that has changed for the better.

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 12:21

i've been disappointed in jack walker. he was hailed as some kind of wunderkind when he captained england u20s. he spent the first season at the rec with foot injuries i seem to remember but since then he hasnt kicked on at all. there seems to be an attempt by Rock and hooper to groom him for future captaincy at the rec. i'm not impressed so far. the lad needs to concentrate on his game first and foremost. he's a long way behind dunn and batty.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 12:41

Worst performance I have seen in many a year lots of basic errors but the thing which really concerned me was the lack of passion-yes it is being treated as a pre-season fixture but as other teams like Chiefs are racking it up using each week as a stepping stone towards the premiership I really dont know what we are doing - credit to Tigers they looked hungry we just looked bored.

Hoops should be seriously worried given that performance and attitude.

Embarrassing and that is all there is for that performance.

Posted by: Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 13:34

My major concern was the hesitancy with ball in hand. Could see lots of patterns being run etc. but it was all rather sluggish. An injection of pace (in though as well as in foot) might be what is needed.

I like turtles.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 13:59

Have not seen the game but from the above comments it sounds like the backs didn't know what to do!
If you have to think about what to do next the basics go out the window. Need more practice or get JJ, AW, RMc, JC back fast!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Date: 07 October, 2019 14:23

Whenever we sign a promising young player I always feel a bit bad because I wonder if their development will nose dive while at Bath. And conversely that same player would thrive under a proper set-up. I’m starting to wonder if that’s what’s happening with Walker (who to be fair had a decent time v Exeter from what I can remember).

People who weren’t at the match are underestimating how little fluency or cohesion we had and how it’s impossible to look good when you’re losing the ball CONSTANTLY. I’m not talking 5 or 6 unforced errors in the whole match I’m talking about every single time we had the ball being unable to last beyond 2 or 3 phases, at most.

Quote:
Optimist
I would bet that if you took a poll of the entire squad as to who should start at 10 you'd get a 50/50 split.

And I would bet if you asked every forward at the club, they would all say Rhys.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 14:31

And yet it was no better with Rhys despite him being against 14 men for large parts of his time on the field. I would expect someone with his experience to be able to pull the backs together and try something new to unpick the Tigers lock? Neither 10s were convincing this weekend TBH.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Date: 07 October, 2019 14:54

Quote:
BathMatt53
And yet it was no better with Rhys despite him being against 14 men for large parts of his time on the field. I would expect someone with his experience to be able to pull the backs together and try something new to unpick the Tigers lock? Neither 10s were convincing this weekend TBH.

Rhys’ form and the second half showing is a failure on the club’s part. Freddie’s total inability to control a game is a failure on his.

Say our pack managed to make 20+ metres from a maul, huge effort in driving the opposition back, the ball made its way out to Freddie. Guaranteed he’d cross kick it straight into the opposite winger’s hands who’d run in a try at the other end of the pitch.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 15:02

Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

Rhys’ form and the second half showing is a failure on the club’s part. Freddie’s total inability to control a game is a failure on his.

Say our pack managed to make 20+ metres from a maul, huge effort in driving the opposition back, the ball made its way out to Freddie. Guaranteed he’d cross kick it straight into the opposite winger’s hands who’d run in a try at the other end of the pitch.

I can't say about Saturday but last season you may have had that impression but the stats I put up showed FB passed the ball more times than RP.
You may well be right but it's getting to the point where you need to offer a few comparative examples.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 15:16

Ballsout you are completely wrong......(Sm124)

Bath strung together much more than 2 or 3 phases...…….but they may as well not have done because they only ever went sideways or indeed backwards on occasions...…….before they then dropped it or conceded a penalty.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 15:36

Sitting in the stand every game it just seems like a matter of time before a Bath player drops the ball, a rolling maul is held up and the ball turned over, a kick goes straight to the opposition, a scrum penalty is conceded or an opposition player strolls through our non existent "defence".

All these things are just down to the poor coaching setup we have which is taking Bath in the wrong direction.

The only good thing to come out of the games so far is our lineout seems to be much better.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2019 16:55

Have just watched BRFC ‘highlights’ . Both early Leics tries appear to came thro a Leic forward side-stepping our debutant prop. Tough learning curve or poor defence management, probably both.

PECK

Current Page: 4 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net