Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Circle The Wagons: Bath v Exeter Chiefs: Teams Up -including Roko
Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2019 19:29

Ditto. And I must say that Exeter do it more annoyingly than any other team Iíve had the displeasure of watching.

I canít quite work out the benefit, other than providing a yard or two more protection for the 9. Is that it?

England donít do it. The All Blacks donít do it. We donít really do it. Why do Exeter do it to such an extent? Itís SO maddeningly boring.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2019 19:31

Looks silly I agree, should be that you have to bind onto 2 men minimum, so that you have to commit to the breakdown to extend.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2019 19:43

Quote:
BathMatt53
BTW I want to see a 13 man caterpillar by the end of the Season. One man on the floor, one for the box kick, rest of the team take 15 mins to form up a 50ft train while ref shouts Ďuse ití like Bercow bellows Ďorderí. Challenge is whether the box kicker can clear the man on the floor.
I hate it. If I could change 1 thing it would be that.

That would be great. They could all dance the conga whilst chasing the kick.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2019 21:39

Itís not so much the actual caterpillar that annoys me itís the phenomena of it being a legitimised aspect of the game that the ball can lie on the floor in full view of 30 players, one ref and 14 thousand spectators for half an age and only two people are allowed to touch it. That is a contradiction of the concept of sport. Dull.

PECK

Posted by: Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 26 October, 2019 23:02

There is plenty,I am sure, for the team to analyse and improve upon from this match. But there are two things I'd like the team to store up inside and use again.

1) Exeter's try. That took them forever. Eventually they got the score but that was hard work. On another day maybe the shutout will be complete and we can lift the siege without conceding. Overall it looks like this team could have some cussedness about them. More please!

2) Taking a scrum form that last penalty. Spurning an easy three was not popular around where I was sat. Making that decision, backing the forwards to execute it and then carrying it off was sublime. At the end of a testing match there was still some capacity for smart analysis and thinking on-pitch. (Also, I especially hate tooling around after the gong - unless in an attacking position and either chasing a win in a tight game, or a 4th try. I have been vexed in RWC2019 by the amount of after-the-80 play for no discernible benefit. Get it off the pitch.)

Encouraging.

I like turtles.

Posted by: recman (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 13:03

The caterpillar was popular amongst a few sides (notably Saracens) around five or six seasons ago, then it disappeared from the game, I presumed because the laws had changed to disallow it. Given that itís crept back into the game, have the laws changed again?

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 15:45

The response will just be refs calling use it earlier

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 16:19

Eeyore is very quiet

Date: 27 October, 2019 17:07

True, but he is right about our defence coaching we need to sort out the dog legs, one let Cuthbert get away. When conditions improve we will get done when teams can handle. With 10 man rugby at home in the wet we will knick games but we need win games by defensive organisation rather than scrambled enthusiasm.

Thing is the pack is decent now and that's before Hatley gets here, prospects look good given what he has done for England.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 17:20

The coaching team should have watched Saracens today to see how to defend.

Posted by: GrumpyDave (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 20:18

Quote:
recman
The caterpillar was popular amongst a few sides (notably Saracens) around five or six seasons ago, then it disappeared from the game, I presumed because the laws had changed to disallow it. Given that itís crept back into the game, have the laws changed again?

The 5 second rule came in, but last season or two the refs seem to be allowing the 9 to to spend an eternity manoeuvring the ball into a convenient position, THEN calling ďuse itĒ, and still indulging 5+ secs after that. On the rugby pod recently, Care was pretty candid that the 9s want as much time as poss to compose themselves so no chance of using it until the refs make them. Cmon refs; sort it!!!

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 21:55

Great performance by the boys.

Some really good performances especially all of the loosies, who worked their socks off. Super impressed by the work that Mike Williams gets through. Reminds me a little of Andy Beattie.

Rhys again demonstrates why he is rightly first choice, and Cookie was solid too.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 27 October, 2019 22:04

Yes Mike Williams has really impressed me - I wasnít expecting that much tbh but he has proven me (and others Iím sure) wrong on that one. Interested to see who our 1st choice back row would be with everyone fit - some very good players will miss out.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2019 07:14

Quote:
shipwrecked
True, but he is right about our defence coaching we need to sort out the dog legs, one let Cuthbert get away. When conditions improve we will get done when teams can handle. With 10 man rugby at home in the wet we will knick games but we need win games by defensive organisation rather than scrambled enthusiasm.

Completely agree but in previous seasons the Cuthbert break would have led to a winning score for Chiefs

Zac positioned himself brilliantly to get to Cuthbert before the corner flag, Wright coming across assisted the tackle into touch

Let's take that and look forward to something even better in organisation once Hats arrives

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2019 09:22

gaz - it was Burns who was the second man, not Wright,

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2019 09:43

I spent the first 20 minutes tutting and sighing and assuming the worst, and saying "you'll see, a knock-on is coming up any second now. See, what did I tell you. This is only going one way."

There were a few of those undermining errors (stuffing up the kick-off just after we'd got our first points on the board being a lowlight). In retrospect the error count was entirely acceptable, even in those first 20 minutes, given the conditions. But from the minute Roko gave us those crucial 20 metres in the build-up just before half-time, it was almost as if they eradicated all of our serial failings at a stroke. Great ball-retention. Tick. Sticking to sensible game-plan. Tick. Cool, calm decision-making. Tick. Execution to support the decisions. Tick. 'Wanting it' more than the opposition. Tick. Bench players having a positive impact. Tick.

Now for the big one....... following it up next week. Tick????????? And - can Priestland bring an appropriate game should the weather conditions be different?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2019 11:19 by Optimist.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2019 11:49

Quote:
Dorset Boy
gaz - it was Burns who was the second man, not Wright,

Cheers DB for the correction, didn't fully see the number on shirt and pleased it was Freddie

Date: 28 October, 2019 13:42

Quote:
Optimist
Now for the big one....... following it up next week. Tick????????? And - can Priestland bring an appropriate game should the weather conditions be different?

Not sure Opti, there are rules about this revival. At the moment it only applies to:

1) Home matches
2) Wet, windy and muddy games
3) Priestland and Cook driving

We may have to wait to see the umbrella extend to away games in the dry!

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 28 October, 2019 14:55

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Optimist

Not sure Opti, there are rules about this revival. At the moment it only applies to:

1) Home matches
2) Wet, windy and muddy games
3) Priestland and Cook driving

We may have to wait to see the umbrella extend to away games in the dry!

Rules even slightly dubious ones are made to be broken .
You could have had Friday night wet windy games
Games when there is an r in the month
Games when I stood 2 yards to the left of my normal spot on the terrace
Games when I didnít wear my lucky boxers ( ok I made that last one up)

I get your point that itís too soon to tell after 1 good game just as it was too soon to condemn after one bad one.

Date: 28 October, 2019 15:21

Agree TGK, have to say the Wasps game is receding from importance with the Rugby World Cup final looming. If England win in the morning I'm not sure I'll be in a fit state to comment on the Bath game having been bantered to death by my majority of Welsh rugby mates over the past few years I intend to deliver some payback. (Sm122)

Current Page: 8 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net