Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Teams Up! Build on the Buzz: Wasps v Bath
Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 15:17

He was really good. Mike Williams, Ewells and Obano looked decent as well. For all the star names in the Wasps backline I thought they were going to be better but they still won and kept us neutered in attack for much of the game.

Had we not tried for the miracle win and kicked the ball out we would not be bottom of the Premiership this weekend. I know we need to show ambition but it was clearly not on. If we do continue to be at the wrong end of the table, we are going to need more pragmatism.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 15:52

Quote:
Ali1969
Shipwrecked I agree but it is the identification when the chance is in or not. You are quite right we have lost so many games at the death, often due to our error and not from the opposition creating, however we have all seen teams kick out the ball when they realise there is no chance of the miracle win and don't want to lose the LBP, this is down to leadership and on field decision making. Basically you know if things have been clicking but our confidence in these situations coupled with our backline would suggest leave with something.

Decent point I guess I'm 50:50 on this one, but I prefer a team ethic that says go for it. Wasps had a choice go for their own try bonus point or prevent us getting one. Pretty negative to go for the latter in my view I would hope if we were in the same situation we would go for the try bonus point. I prefer to be positive.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 16:06

Quote:
ken_jnr
For all the star names in the Wasps backline I thought they were going to be better but they still won and kept us neutered in attack for much of the game.

Wasps are pretty poor so far this year, that was their first win, which makes leaving with 0 points even worse.

Posted by: Bristol Welsh (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 16:20

Just to say Sale had a penalty in the last seconds against us in their 22 (well actually their 5m line). Did they think, I know, lets kick it 30 meters and get a line out and try and win the game (they were 6 points behind), no they thought, @#$%& weather, chances are they we may give away possession/penalty and end up with nothing. They kicked it dead. Got a point (so only a 3 point difference between us and them). It means they were thinking of the season ahead, long term. Just how I expect them to be coached - Diamond is a bundle of entertainment after all. You ended up with nothing. Poor coaching, poor planning, poor execution. It may be that over the season it doesn't matter, but then again, why take the chance? Its not as if any of us is going to win the league, but 1 point can make a big difference further down the table (maybe a playoff spot, top European position or maybe relegation).

Date: 03 November, 2019 16:35

Quote:
Bristol Welsh
Poor coaching, poor planning, poor execution. It may be that over the season it doesn't matter, but then again, why take the chance?

So are you saying that is the Bristol way of approaching the game, safety first.
If so I suggest you talk to your coach, how many points have Bristol thrown away by running it from suicidal positions then?
Is that equally "Poor coaching, poor planning, poor execution?"

Nothing wrong in having a go! Ask Pat Lam.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 16:39

Shipwrecked totally with you I would always like to be positive, but given our fragility for me it was a no brainer. I have a feeling Wasps feel we may be scrapping it out with us for something and to deny us a point was worth more to them than getting an extra try bonus point.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 16:42

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnít. Against Exe the week before they were positive and played out for the win. In general terms Iím another in the keep it positive camp tbh (not that I was at the Wasps game so can comment on the actual field position or anything in this case).

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Date: 03 November, 2019 16:43

Quote:
Ali1969
Shipwrecked totally with you I would always like to be positive, but given our fragility for me it was a no brainer. I have a feeling Wasps feel we may be scrapping it out with us for something and to deny us a point was worth more to them than getting an extra try bonus point.

Don't worry Ali, Sarries are going to be on minus points soon if BoB is right. Have faith, post WC the best is yet to come..........I hope!

Date: 03 November, 2019 16:51

Sarries will still stay up even with -35 (would have put them 10th last season). As worrying for them is that there is talk of them having a reduced cap for a season or more.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 16:55

Quote:
Long Term
we have as supporters no real influence therefore I suggest all you can do as you are in such turmoil is to decide whether to support the club or not

This is possibly the most sensible comment in this thread. It's clear from what we've seen to date this season that Hooper is guiding Bath towards the championship, so all we can do is decide whether to watch it happen or not.

Date: 03 November, 2019 16:57

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Long Term
we have as supporters no real influence therefore I suggest all you can do as you are in such turmoil is to decide whether to support the club or not

This is possibly the most sensible comment in this thread. It's clear from what we've seen to date this season that Hooper is guiding Bath towards the championship, so all we can do is decide whether to watch it happen or not.

I will happily make a bet with you - £50 to the charity of the others choice at the end of the season. If Bath go down I donate to yours, if they stay up you donate to mine. Are you game?

Date: 03 November, 2019 17:03

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Long Term

I will happily make a bet with you - £50 to the charity of the others choice at the end of the season. If Bath go down I donate to yours, if they stay up you donate to mine. Are you game?

I've already placed a £1k bet on it happening.

Date: 03 November, 2019 17:03

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Long Term

For the umpteenth time, how can you criticise a coaching regime when it is not even in place, let alone had time to effect change? You do realise Hatley is not in place and our backs have been in Japan?
Time to criticise is when Hately has been in place for 4-6 games with a full set of backs.

Date: 03 November, 2019 17:07

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Long Term

For the umpteenth time, how can you criticise a coaching regime when it is not even in place, let alone had time to effect change? You do realise Hatley is not in place and our backs have been in Japan?
Time to criticise is when Hately has been in place for 4-6 games with a full set of backs.

I respect Hatley a lot and welcome his return, but he's not the messiah. Is he going to fix the attack and poor decision making as well? So far only Charteris is showing any competence.

Date: 03 November, 2019 17:15

Fair comment, but we are talking a big big injection of coaching and talent about to return, talk of the Championship is unrealistic. The games this season have all been with almost scratch sides, we had our 4th 9 out yesterday and a bug in the week.
We are in desperate need of a bit of confidence but I don't see a lack of effort, misdirected effort perhaps.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 17:17

If the RWC final showed us anything it is that you can't have an effective attack without good ball from the forwards so Hatley is an important piece of the jigsaw.

Date: 03 November, 2019 17:26

Agree BB, we seem to forget we are missing a full international back row in Flouw, Underhill and Faletau and a back division of Watson, Joseph, McConnochie, and Cockanasiga. Thats half a team any one of which can change a game.
If Hooper, Charteris and Hately can't make those players work the I would call for a change too.

I would still like to see a defence coach though.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 11:52

People are putting a lot of faith in players returning to turn things around. Hopefully due to their individual one-off talents, rather than how they fit into a broken system. We've had these players for years and they haven't made us top 4 contenders. It's not about the individuals or the name on the team sheet.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 12:10

Quote:
ballsout
People are putting a lot of faith in players returning to turn things around. Hopefully due to their individual one-off talents, rather than how they fit into a broken system. We've had these players for years and they haven't made us top 4 contenders. It's not about the individuals or the name on the team sheet.

I agree with your point but it has to be a positive to some degree. Those involved in the final from both sides will come back from an elite level with good habits. If Flo assumes his international career is nearly over at 34 why would he not work well back at Bath to help form the new coaching setup? The only thing preventing that would be a bad culture blocking such positive contributions.

Posted by: Woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 13:04

Im going to the glos bath game on 4th Jan - with Glos supporting friends, I'm hoping that this turn around has happened by then.

Current Page: 6 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net