Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Teams Up! Build on the Buzz: Wasps v Bath
Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 14:10

I agree we cannot take too much from the first three games, but regardless of the returning players we will still have the well known problems at 9, 10 and centre, together with the anticipated coaching dilemma. Remember the returning players are the ones we will lose again for the 6N so we cannot rely on them for a miracle transformation.

The weather also has not been kind so far, but once it dries up I hope the team at least try to play a more expansive game. Not sure if it is a reaction to watching some good rugby at the WC but so far I have been completely underwhelmed by the premiership.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 14:16

Agreed - I don't think that we will ever get an expansive game with RP at 10 and JR at 12 unfortunately.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 14:35

We need something extra in midfield to be sure, given how well Josh Adams went looking for work in the WC and how Eddie used Joe C I'd like to see him coming in off his wing more often and getting us over the gain line.
The problem with JR and RP is they have both lost a lot of pace.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 14:48

As they say if RP and JR are the answer.........we are asking the wrong question!

Posted by: Woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 14:51

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
As they say if RP and JR are the answer.........we are asking the wrong question!

wrong question or wrong year.

Posted by: Hymenoptera (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 15:36

I thought RP was excellent against Wasps, some of his kicking to touch from hand was exceptional.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 16:00

Didn't see the Wasps game, but his kicking against Exeter was excellent in that game.

Date: 04 November, 2019 16:05

Iím not sure that anyone has said that RP canít kick. He is a very good tactical kicker. Whether RP and JR get a back line moving (and make the most of the England returnees) is the concern.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: BathSalmon (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 20:31

Maybe it's time to see what De Glanville can offer at 10? If hes good enough, then hes old enough!

Date: 04 November, 2019 21:16

Not sure he is fit, its a decent suggestion but I think he needs a few experienced backs around him, to throw him into a backline that is already creaking could go seriously wrong.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 21:23

Quote:
BathMatt53
Iím not sure that anyone has said that RP canít kick. He is a very good tactical kicker. Whether RP and JR get a back line moving (and make the most of the England returnees) is the concern.

Then maybe we should play to his strengths. A 9 with a fast pass to give him time (I thought Ollie Fox did well) and kick for position. Then use the forwards to strangle the oppo into a mistake. Take the 3. Repeat. Sound familiar at all? SA, Sarries, Exeter, Leicester in their pomp...

Dull? - yes, boring? - unquestionably, winning strategy? - recent evidence strongly suggests so.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 04 November, 2019 21:28

Best get the p45s sorted for the returning England backs then...oh and can I have a refund on my season ticket?!

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2019 01:20

Quote:
BathMatt53
Best get the p45s sorted for the returning England backs then...oh and can I have a refund on my season ticket?!

Trouble is, playing outside RP and JR, they are not going to get the ball in any space. In that case, it doesn't matter how good you are or how fast your feet, gravity always wins.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2019 09:26

The whole point of having a 12 like JR is that it creates space for the likes of JJ, Coka, AW and RM, either by holding defences or by setting up quick ball. Not that we've really seen it happen in practise, but I know Todd wanted a carrying 12 for this purpose, as he believed it was the way to get the best out of our back 3.

On paper, our first choice backline is top class, and combining JR and JJ makes sense to me. The question for me, is JR still up to it and can Dempsey coach the best out of them? On the evidence of this season, JR isn't going to let anyone down but Dempsey's influence is still up for debate. If by the season end he hasn't got some tries out of our backs then he's not up to it.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2019 09:42

Dempsey didn't seem to have much trouble getting tries when coaching at Leinster.

Date: 05 November, 2019 09:59

Quote:
hemington
Dempsey didn't seem to have much trouble getting tries when coaching at Leinster.

Which is why it is all the more confusing / annoying.

Date: 05 November, 2019 10:04

That's true, however JR needs an element of threat inside, RP doesn't offer that neither do our 9's at the moment. Add to that he doesn't seem to vary his running lines or offload. I'm sure we can cope with a predictable 12 more easily than we can predictable half backs.

Look how Reinach holds the defense with his speed and interceptions, (he is out of contract with Saints soon, though expected to go to Montpellier). We have to be see how the returnees get on and get the pack to establish their promised dominance.
I also think that Underhill will change the dynamic for the pack, if he can catch their backs behind the gain line and propel them backwards as he did in Japan that would open up the game for Roko. Joe C, Rory, JJ and Watson.

This is where we get to find out if Hooper's team can put the bits of the puzzle together. If as you say things haven't changed on the try front despite having our key players back then we have a big problem!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2019 11:55

Totally agree about our half-backs SW. Chudley is still pre-programmed to box-kick, and outside him Priestland just doesn't have that 'put some pace on it' mentality. He seems happy to let the game slow down around 9. Then when it comes to him, it's either drop back and kick, or shovel it flat. When was the last time anyone saw either of them make a break that actually led to genuine panic in the defence?

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 November, 2019 12:15

I agree, to an extent, but Priestland is an international 10 who has played with Roberts for many years. They could have me playing 9 and they should still be able to get something out of the internationals outside them. I still wonder whether Cook might be the one who steps up and delivers on his promise, although I wouldn't be willing to bet on it.

Having said the above, I have dreams where Cipriani is wearing our 10 jersey...

Date: 05 November, 2019 12:45

Quote:
dr.bath1865
I agree, to an extent, but Priestland is an international 10 who has played with Roberts for many years. They could have me playing 9 and they should still be able to get something out of the internationals outside them. I still wonder whether Cook might be the one who steps up and delivers on his promise, although I wouldn't be willing to bet on it.
Having said the above, I have dreams where Cipriani is wearing our 10 jersey...

...but Priestland was an international 10 who has played with Roberts for many years.... and they had the likes of Rhys Webb at 9 threatening round the fringes, you are right though in his international career he did 'have a go'. Haven't seen it for a wile at the Rec.

Current Page: 7 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net