Re: TEAM UP ! TOPSY TURVY? BATH v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 19:36

Just seen brief highlights on BT Sport
Can't complain with the red card in my opinion
Pack looked fired up and brutal.
Chudley looked good in the highlights.
Weather looked OK too
Must have been a good day out for those there.

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 19:38

And that's how you make set piece dominance pay. First half Tempest wanted the ball played away from scrums even though we were dominant but we stuck to the script and scrummaged them off the park. Lineout was good if not outstanding and for all Saints' dangerous runners ww ground them out of the game.

If BoB ever questions Charlie Ewels captaincy, commitment and 'grunt' to use a BoB word, after that lot, just laugh.

The lesson from the world cup is that an attacking player has a duty of care just as much as a defender, Brew led with his elbow and hit the defender throat high. Red all day long. (It really didn't need the theatrics btw).

Posted by: Montyuk (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 19:42

Wow what a night. The Rec had some atmosphere and we were awesome. Well played Bath!

Posted by: Victor Ludorum (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 20:03

Quote:
hemington
Quote:
Victor Ludorum
Brilliant performance! Thought we'd stuffed it up when Aled got sent off (which looked like a yellow from where I was sat) but fearsome from the pack after that. Great spirit. Looks like a well coached group of players...
Rumour has it they spent the week in Exeter or was it Bristol
Like it!

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 21:24

On the BT Sport highlights then it looks hard to argue with the red. Haven't seen the full game yet but starting to feel hopeful about some of our young, hungry pack.

Posted by: Awp24975 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 21:32

I thought Brews red card was harsh at the time, however having seen the highlights on a clear tv picture he can have no complaints.

I thought the pack were superb in the set piece, and Charlie in particular was brilliant (minus one dropped pass).

I could watch those scrums and lineouts all day. Let the backs defend and will happily pay to watch that. Those 8 minutes of scrums were brilliant!!

I think Hoops said this season was about focusing on building a dominant pack and winning the home games which is what he is doing. Just got to start getting some points away. Also nice to see 6 out of the starting 8 were academy boys.

Not saying things are perfect, but they are definitely looking more positive.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 21:41

Agreed - have caught it on BT sport now and itís a forearm to throat.

Young Will Stuart can go as far as he wants in this game if he keeps up these performances - he is some player. I could easily see him and Beno interesting some of the England scouts if they perform like they did today given Cole and Marler potentially calling time on their international careers?

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 22:02

Posted by: Never In Doubt (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 22:11

Quote:
CoochieCoo

A thoughtful, intelligent leader who cares about Bath rugby. Maybe some of the attention seeking posters will give him the respect he deserves.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 22:14

Really top performance after a shaky opening few minutes.

The pack, especially the tight 5 were simply outstanding. For me Ewells came of age today. Superb shift, great leadership and astute decision making. Inspirational.

Watching our starting front 3 mullering their replacements after 70 minutes was very enjoyable.

Great team effort.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 22:16

Quote:
Never In Doubt
Quote:
CoochieCoo

A thoughtful, intelligent leader who cares about Bath rugby. Maybe some of the attention seeking posters will give him the respect he deserves.

Hear Hear! Not a Gucci Slipper, Armani towel robe or loofer in sight!

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 09 November, 2019 23:36

So nothing from BoB and Ballsout's only contribution is trolling on the Saints site. Nothing intelligent to add, so why would anyone pay any attention to the inevitable one-note drivel when we lose?

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 00:04

I enjoyed that very much indeed. Forwards immense, Aled Brew a touch unlucky, the whole team very much not so. An excellent victory, well earned.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 00:10 by joethefanatic.

Date: 10 November, 2019 07:07

Quote:
Trawling
So nothing from BoB and Ballsout's only contribution is trolling on the Saints site. Nothing intelligent to add, so why would anyone pay any attention to the inevitable one-note drivel when we lose?

Are you surprised? First on to criticise when Bath lose, go MIA when Bath win. True anti-fans of the current Bath team and set-up almost to the point of being caricature panto villains...at least its the right time of year (oh no it isnít, oh yes it is).

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 08:53

From where I was sitting the ref had an absolute shocker, replays on the screen never convinced me it was a red (shame their player went down like a modern day footballer). Although the perceived sense of injustice in the crowd seemed to do the trick, probably the loudest it's been at the Rec for years.

Well done to the pack, they won it for us despite the ref seeming to be against us.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 09:03

Agreed OB- very poor. The red may have been justified but Tempest overlooked so many offences it was no wonder the crowd got on his back.

PG

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 09:26

In real time it just looks like a normal rugby collision. In slo-mo it certainly looks like Brew deliberately lifts his shoulder to neck/face as he tries to go around

If this was an offence to a Bath player we would probably be applauding a tight, tough decision that sends the right message to players and coaches to avoid this kind of collision. In my book it was spot on.

Shame that it overshadowed a very positive attacking play from inside own 22 and a cracking grubber kick from Freddie

Date: 10 November, 2019 09:27

Personally I think that it was fantastic that the crowd were so animated, exaggerated boos and cheers included. Itís rare that the Rec crowd provide so much vocal backing for their team and itís certainly no different than most (all?) of the other Prem clubs. Ewels Interview indicated that the player soaked it up and it was a positive for them - thatís good enough for me.

Tempest did miss things (high tackles, forward passes) but at the end of the day they are human and the players were good enough that it just didnít matter.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 10 November, 2019 09:32

Most enjoyable game I have seen at the Rec in a long time, possibly because I expected to be sitting outside all day in driving rain which didn't happen but mainly the really sensible way the whole team played. Good decisions by both captain and coach, especially the one to go for the line out (and score) just after red card (which was undoubtedly the correct decision). The red card seemed to galvanise the team and the crowd. Referee missed a whole load of offences, but it was a difficult game to referee and he seemed to help the noise from the crowd with some of his decisions.

Having Priesland and Burns on together may have been forced by Homer not being available, but it worked very well and is certainly something to consider in the future. Difficult to pick any player as MOM, the forward effort huge, especially front row, but the most pleasing part was the calmness of the players who did not panic at the red card and played with intelligence. If that is Hooper's influence then he deserves congratulations.

Date: 10 November, 2019 09:39

Contrary to what the local
Northampton rag says (ĎSaints dominated territory and possessioní) the stats are here:

[www.espn.co.uk]

Bath had 58% of possession and 54% of territory. Won more ruck and mauls, 100% success on own lineout and scrum and beat 26 tackles (to saints 16).

Current Page: 6 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net