Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: TEAM UP ! TOPSY TURVY? BATH v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 10:39

For Wood's try, Tempest told the TMO he had seen the ball on the floor hence the question he asked. (Some may well dispute his eyesight though!)
Same as in the winning try for Bristool yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 11:53 by Dorset Boy.

Posted by: bardofavon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 11:29

a great result. of course the pack got lots of plaudits but freddie at 15 was a revelation to me.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 12:39

I agree.......when Watson is back we need him at flyhalf..........not kicking the ball!

Posted by: BathDonkey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 13:06

The red card certainly galvanised both the supporters and the players, as did the unconvincing try given after TMO review.
As far as the red card is concerned I'm convinced that a better ref would at most have given a penalty as a"rugby incident". In real time it looked innocuous but the slow motion replays make it look like a ferocious attack. You have to ask what else he could do. If you're running full tilt at someone, you of course put your arms up for the safety of both of you. Would a body check with whiplash have been a better option?
It's fortunate for Bath that ultimately it created the win, because otherwise a very dubious decision could have defined the result.

Posted by: Armchair Fan (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 13:24

Plenty to grouse about, if you are of a kind to do so.

Was very pleased with the sheer amount of dog put in to win that. Spruning an easy 3 pointer in favour of endless scrums ran the clock down and got it's reward. Good on-field decision, backed up by a great effort from the pack. In a way it's a shame that Zach actually scored that try, I'd have loved even more pain being dished to the Saints forwards.

I like turtles.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 13:53

The more ‘spruning’ the better IMO!

In relation to Burns, there will be 2 on the field this weekend - wonder if they will both play 15?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 14:14 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 17:35

Team of the week from Chris Foy includes Freddie Burns, Will Chudley, Beno Obano and Will Stuart.
Also Top Tackle Freddie Burns on Taqele Naiyaravoro .

Northampton DOR Chris Boyd was not impressed with the manner of Baths win saying “They weren’t trying to play the game. They were trying to scrum for penalties. That was their game plan.

Isn’t the scrum part of the game anymore ? Sounds like sour grapes to me ! (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: BathDonkey (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 18:05

It won the World Cup!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 18:13

Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Northampton DOR Chris Boyd was not impressed with the manner of Baths win saying “They weren’t trying to play the game. They were trying to scrum for penalties. That was their game plan.(Sm128)

Rugby shocker, team plays to it's strength!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 18:39

Very Salty - doesn’t sound good for a man of his age.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 19:49

Northampton DOR Chris Boyd was not impressed with the manner of Baths win saying “They weren’t trying to play the game. They were trying to scrum for penalties. That was their game plan.

And Northampton were trying to frustrate legal scrummaging- hence the penalties. If he prefers the scrum as a restart to the game, why were his team trying to prevent the game re-starting?

PG

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 21:55

Quote:
P G Tips
And Northampton were trying to frustrate legal scrummaging- hence the penalties. If he prefers the scrum as a restart to the game, why were his team trying to prevent the game re-starting?

PG

Top v bottom on a wet day in the West Country at the back end of Autumn, that sounds like a very fine plan. And so it turned out. Welcome to the Prem, Chris smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 00:03

Quote:
ballsout
Disappointing "Big T" didn't make much any impression, given all the hype from Saints supporters. Great tackle from Burns to haul him down that one time.

I can live without that (Sm120) Are they referring to Teimana Harrison? Not a very imaginative name!

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 00:05

Quote:
Dorset Boy
For Wood's try, Tempest told the TMO he had seen the ball on the floor hence the question he asked. (Some may well dispute his eyesight though!)

He must have x-ray vision. Amazing!

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 01:00

Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
ballsout
Disappointing "Big T" didn't make much any impression, given all the hype from Saints supporters. Great tackle from Burns to haul him down that one time.

I can live without that (Sm120) Are they referring to Teimana Harrison? Not a very imaginative name!

I presume Taquele Naiayaravoro. He's one of those very big men who aren't onvincingly aggressive in contact. JoeC is another as is, strangely enough, Billy V.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 09:48

Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Dorset Boy

Must admit I don't really mind referees taking circumstantial evidence that the ball has been grounded. The main point of rugby is to get the ball the other side of the white line, and it's hard enough to do that these days. Defensive players make a deliberate effort to pile in around the grounding area to obscure the cameras, so there needs to be some counter-balance to that.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 09:58

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Dorset Boy

Must admit I don't really mind referees taking circumstantial evidence that the ball has been grounded. The main point of rugby is to get the ball the other side of the white line, and it's hard enough to do that these days. Defensive players make a deliberate effort to pile in around the grounding area to obscure the cameras, so there needs to be some counter-balance to that.

I watched the game last night and thought that the 'circumstantial evidence' for Wood's try seemed to be no grounding 'held up' rather than 'try' to my mind the wording of the question was wrong.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:14

Only saw the game last night, second half was really impressive, I'd obviously endorse all the front row comments and the back row seemed to enjoy the mayhem, but I was impressed with Josh McNally. He was winning his line out and tackling and carrying but I really liked his catching at the restart. That has been a problem for us in the past. Whoever sourced this guy need a pat on the back he is a future star.
On the Freddie at fullback argument we had a period where Todd played RP at 10 and FB at 15 as dual playmakers, IIRC that went well but was cut short by injury. RP looks a better player behind a pack going forward but still doesn't really set the back alight, the important thing is its winning rugby. I'm happy to sacrifice sparking back play for a while.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:22

McNally was lined up to replace Attwood when big Dave was angling to stay on at Toulon, so would have been here earlier if Mourad had been willing to pay the compensation Bruce wanted. I guess that means Todd wanted him, or was it Hooper recruiting even back then?

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:56

On the Wood try, once the players are getting near or over the line there seems to be a general free for all when players drop down and often go over the ball in a way that would not be legal in open play. The Saints No 19 dropped onto the defending players trying to push the ball to the ground - what is the law regarding this, does it change once the ball has crossed the line as the ball is still in play until it is touched down?

Current Page: 8 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net