Current Page: 1 of 38
O/T Election
Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 08:18

Someone's going to create this thread sooner or later so I thought I might as well.

As a first thought, does anyone else think that the campaigns so far have been terrible?

Combined with the the winter date, brexit and the general instability at the moment and this really could be weird result and one we'll have to live with for 5 years probably.

Re: O/T Election
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 09:01

Itís a bit like a kids argument so far. Iím going to spend a billion on this...well Iím going to spend 2 billion...until it get to the point where one says that they will spend the other sides sum +1.

Iím no closer to being convinced by any of them, I have to say.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: JFPC (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 09:08

Reminds me of a my Dad's bigger than your Dad argument I overheard;
my Dad's got a shotgun.
Yeah, well my Dad's got a rifle.
Yeah, well my Dad's got a pump action shotgun.
Yeah, well my Dad's got a machine gun.
Yeah, well my Dad's got a, a, a pump action machine gun.

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 09:44

Quote:
BathMatt53
Iím no closer to being convinced by any of them, I have to say.

+1

Candidates desperate to get on the gravy train saying whatever they think the electorate want to hear full in the knowledge they have no intention honouring their commitments.

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 10:00

Sadly we are (or some of us are) being duped. Last night's Conservative Party Political with Boris only starring role (where did the teabag go or did he not actually drink that mug of tea) said it all.

Boris and his ideological shortsighted rightwing self interested privileged gang backed by the cash of wealthy investors, will get it. We will leave the EU without a deal. The less well off will then find out exactly what they voted for over the next 5 years, many of whom will find their jobs have disappeared esp north of Manchester, The US will be the only beneficiaries of any trade deal we manage to persuade them to agree to. I'd almost bet that in 20 years we will back in a European trading organisation.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 10:15

Sadly I think this thread is doomed to replicate the current political situation in the country. Claim, counter claim, misinformation etc. etc. Its existence is futile. Please lets return to the rugby where Stuart Hooper is our current leader. There is no other option. (Sm120)

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 10:34

As this election is about Brexit it is quite likely to develope into another Brexit O/T. I am tempted to merge, anyone in disagreement?

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Date: 13 November, 2019 11:15

I have to say I wouldn't, I do think they are distinct things and I don't see what the problem is? But I'm not going my to stick my neck of too far over it so if it makes things easier.

If there isn't much non brexity to say is just let this I've die.

Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 11:29

Quote:
CoochieCoo
As this election is about Brexit it is quite likely to develope into another Brexit O/T. I am tempted to merge, anyone in disagreement?

If you merge it then the election thread and Brexit will become the same: but they are not. Under the Tories we have had years of cuts to all types of services which have had nothing to do with Brexit. There are other issues in this election other than Bexit.

You should keep the threads separate, IMHO, as they are 2 separate subjects.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:18

Here's a topic to discuss - HS2.
£88bn minimum?
Maybe not in our back yard to worry about but by cancelling this project that would fund huge improvements in existing services and all walks of life, not to mention the horrible loss of homes along the route.
Just so businessmen can get to Manchester quicker for a meeting that could have been done over Skype?
No thanks. Surprised this isn't a front line election topic TBH.

Date: 13 November, 2019 12:32

I think we're going to need projects like HS2 in order to stimulate things after brexit. I'm talking about much of that 88bn going straight into British pockets, so its not lost in that sense. Whether there is a further economic benefit from having high speed rail is another thing, and I suspect it will depend on whose side the person who commissioned the report your reading is on, but my general feeling is it probably will (and will support our existing infrastructure in any case) and it seems to me that its the sort of thing a country of our size, population an affluence should have.

I think part of the issue is people hear £88Bn and think "that's a lot of money!" but its isn't really.

Anyway, I can see why all parties don't really want to get drawn to a particular position on it.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:41

Labour's Shadow Health Secretary was on R5 this morning.The NHS doesn't have enough staff he said (but he clearly doesn't know it is the 5th largest employer on the planet with 1.7 million employees). He then said about throwing more and more money at the NHS, but zero mention of reform.
He followed up by saying we should have a grown up conversation about the future of the NHS, but anytime anyone dares suggest reform and change the left shoot them. Totally disingenious of him to suggest Labour are interested in any conversation about NHS reform.

Date: 13 November, 2019 12:45

Sorry Dan but I do think £88bn is a lot of money!

That's about 30 aircraft carriers, I am sure there are better comparisons out there.

2 Brexits?

Sarries salary spend for 10 seasons?

Date: 13 November, 2019 13:03

It's nothing like 30 aircraft carriers if you include the air wing and running costs. The two we currently have would cover it quite easily.

It is substantially less than the yearly cost of the NHS and it's not an ongoing cost nor is it going to be paid in one year.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 13:04

Anything that gets traffic off the roads and reduces CO2 and other emissions is good in my book. Far better than having to do trade deals with far flung countries that will increase flights and ship movements and therefore emissions by massive amounts. Should have invested in railways years ago but all governments (of both shades) were seduced by the road lobby and look where that has got us. i'm all for HS2/3/4/5/6/7/8 etc. if it stops more roads being built/widened and reduces flying.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 13:11

A bit Devil's Advocaat here, but what happened to all the money that was saved by the 'austerity' regime?

Date: 13 November, 2019 13:22

I am all for the rail investment as seen with our local electrification.

My preference would be £88bn spent across the entire rail network rather than a single new route, buying up land, demolishing houses with very few stations.

I think Paddington to Bristol was budgeted at about 3bn(?) which is a very complex project, that shows how much could be done with 88bn.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 13:26

Hs2.. ? very expensive and they say likely cost could be over 100bill.

how much per mils to build as compared to say, tgv and equivalents?
On balance, cancel it as too expensive, but not a vote winner one way or another imv.

Talking to Nhs doctors who said money not the problem as such...and this was from 3 years ago upto now as you always meet doctors on holiday...but how you spend it certainly is.

I think the nhs always wants more money... accept it and move on.

Looking at frontine benches is the real worry though imv.
really really scary and laughable.

So, it will be about Brexit.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 14:19

Quote:
John Tee
Hs2.. ? very expensive and they say likely cost could be over 100bill.
how much per mils to build as compared to say, tgv and equivalents?
On balance, cancel it as too expensive, but not a vote winner one way or another imv.

Talking to Nhs doctors who said money not the problem as such...and this was from 3 years ago upto now as you always meet doctors on holiday...but how you spend it certainly is.

I think the nhs always wants more money... accept it and move on.

Looking at frontine benches is the real worry though imv.
really really scary and laughable.

So, it will be about Brexit.

It would be interesting to compare the cost of HS2 to a new TGV line.

If there is a shortage of front line NHS staff then considering it is the 5th largest employer on the planet then it needs no additional funds until most of the non-front line staff, who clearly are far from essential are kicked out and the system reformed to stop wasting such monstrous amounts of cash (it costs around £2,200 per person pa).

Senior doctors might well be working less, but that is due to the taxation impact of them working on their pensions - many are 'high earners' and so only have a £10k pa pension contribution allowance but their NHS pension value grows by more than that each year resulting in a hefty additional tax bill.

Posted by: TOKS (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 14:28

Quote:
Mike the Taxi
A bit Devil's Advocaat here, but what happened to all the money that was saved by the 'austerity' regime?

It largely (not all of course) went on repaying the debt that was generated between 1997 and 2010.

Current Page: 1 of 38
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net