Current Page: 1 of 3
Did Eddie Jones do a good job, where now?
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 11:29

I noticed Eddie at theBarbarians game and his comments about not yet being over the RWC defeat, and I just wondered what people thought about his performance, if he should stay and what side he should pick for the 6 Nations.

Personally I think he delivered, whether by accident or design I'm not sure, he solved the back row problem and we had a chance to win the whole thing. However, we might have a few more solutions to find. The Vunipolas, Manu and Youngs need alternatives question is when?

France will be be back with Shaun Edwards, Wales will be different with Pivac and Ireland are now without Schmidt, should be interesting!

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Re: Did Eddie Jones do a good job, where now?
Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 12:17

I'd so he should go now. Falling at the last hurdle wasnt the problem but the way we did , was disappointing. We were well beaten but didn't really turn up so i don't think he has anything left.
Dont see any point in another 2 years.. we cleaned up in the 2 years after the last rwc...but then played catch up to the finals.

We need fresh ideas. imv.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 12:33

I would ask him to stay, provided he wants to of course. Losing him now would make it feel as though being runners up was a failure and forgetting the sublime performance in winning the semi against the favourites.

I would not necessarily keep him for 4 years though but plan a successor to work with him from next year to take over and be head coach for 2023. That way the team evolves and all the good stuff is kept.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 12:39

I've had more fun watching England in the last four years than in the previous decade. He's done a great job. One of the finest performances ever in Test rugby, 3-0 whitewash of the Aussies away, 2x Six Nations titles, plenty of genuinely world class players developed.

Unfortunately our scrum should have been seen as a problem earlier if there was any chance we'd face South Africa. Taking 13 back three players and only 4 props was a bit mistake. Not that any scrummaging tightheads were holding their hands up.

Would like to see him stay on either for another four years or two. He'll be devastated though, and rightly so. Sinckler injury + scrum + players not turning up will take a while to get over.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 16:23

Agree BO

Let hims stay- 2 years, induct & assist his successor, then handover.

Erasmus built a RWC winning team in 2 years- it can be done, but Eddie can keep the current & developing squad on their toes in preparation.

PG

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 16:28

I think Eddie did really well, but it's time to move on.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 17:44

To answer the thread title. Yes. More of the same.

Eddie masterminded a very good New Zealand team being handed their collective ar$es. That's never happened before and I, for one, would like to see if he can repeat the feat. Plus, looking at the 6N, it is highly likely that England will win the Grand Slam for the next couple of years. Which will give a nice springboard to France 2023. To coin a phrase, "the future is bright".

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 17:49 by joethefanatic.

Date: 17 November, 2019 19:54

I'd stick with Eddie, there is no point in replacing the head coach unless there is an alternative. I'd like to see Alex Dombrandt get a go at 8, don't really understand the front row so cant comment. We also need to introduce a third 10 if Farrell stays at 12.

My biggest concern is that we don't seem to put 2 mega crunch games back to back, we saw it in the lead up to the RWC and it did for us in the end. Very hard to knock getting to the final of the RWC, I'm not ready to have to play against a country managed by Eddie. He stays for me.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 22:56

It would be pretty churlish to argue he hasn't been a success, and with the young squad he took to the World Cup, England is very well positioned to remain in the world's top 3 for a decent run. .

Whether it's Edde or someone else, though, England should be aspiring to the standards that the All Blacks set between World Cups, not just looking to peak on a 4-year cycle.

I just have a feeling that another 4 years of Eddie could end in tears though. He's broken a lot of eggs to make his omelette.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 07:48

Many sporting success stories show the best time to change leadership is when the team has reached a peak

I think this one has. Keeping Jones will probably lead to a downward path

The problem is finding the right coach who can take to next level

Date: 18 November, 2019 08:25

Eddie was interviewed on Breakfast TV, he is staying for the next 2 years. Insightful.

Date: 18 November, 2019 09:09

Quote:
joethefanatic
Eddie masterminded a very good New Zealand team being handed their collective ar$es. That's never happened before

Actually Stuart Lancaster did the same - even more emphatically scoreboard-wise.

Would be interesting for England to have a 3-test series with NZ, who almost invariably take revenge on any team that has the temerity to beat them, with an absolute drubbing.

I know everyone loves the Lions, but I think it's way too big a distraction in the international calendar - i'd rather see England playing the SH nations in the occasional 3-test series.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 10:58

Does everyone remember Sir Clive saying judge me on the World Cup.........1999 one!

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 11:01

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
joethefanatic
Eddie masterminded a very good New Zealand team being handed their collective ar$es. That's never happened before

Actually Stuart Lancaster did the same - even more emphatically scoreboard-wise.

With home advantage, against a team wiped out by a stomach bug in the week. It was a great win, but Eddie's one was far more impressive given the context and performance itself.

Posted by: sirtidychris (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 11:10

Eddie was/is a success he himself has evolved as coach since he took over England and is better placed to push on for the win in 4 years time. If we came through the otherside of the draw we probably would have won but Oz followed by Nz was too much to then beat a large highly motivated SA team.

Date: 18 November, 2019 12:20

'a team wiped out by a stomach bug' . have NZ ever actually lost a game? If it's not a stomach bug it's a dodgy forward pass.

I don't disagree, btw, that the context of the semi-final made it infinitely more significant - but that was an outstanding performance, and was far from the only outstanding performance under Lancaster.

Matt Dawson on the 38-21 win sounds a little familiar: "I can see this being maybe the greatest England victory, ever, at Twickenham. Nothing is springing to mind where they have annihilated the world's best team as they have today... it was an absolutely astonishing performance to win by 17 points."

Date: 18 November, 2019 13:13

I think that Eddie might go a different route now, the World Cup is done, he was locked into his selections for continuity. He is one to embrace change and he might well go for a different team now.
If so there are some key positions that he can explore 9 and 10, 12 being the most pressing.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 13:56

Quote:
Optimist
'a team wiped out by a stomach bug' . have NZ ever actually lost a game? If it's not a stomach bug it's a dodgy forward pass.

Did you hear Steve Hansen's comments after the semi-final?

Of course you will find the odd one-eyed idiot in all countries but to make ridiculous statements based on their views is rather silly.

Date: 18 November, 2019 14:01

Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
Optimist

Did you hear Steve Hansen's comments after the semi-final?

Of course you will find the odd one-eyed idiot in all countries but to make ridiculous statements based on their views is rather silly.

I agree they've become a bit more gracious since they got the World Cup monkey off their back. But they had a fairly extended period where they always seem to have an excuse.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 17:38

I think he did a better job in the first two rather than the last two years. Like all England coaches he ended up in a selection muddle and became unsure of his best combinations/XV/23. He has since admitted he got selection for the RWC final wrong and should have picked Marler ahead of Vunipola and reverted to the Farrell/Tuilagi/Slade axis. I think he should take a step back for the final 2yr of his contract [as planned] and allow another to take the team forward with his support. The coaching team needs to be refreshed for the benefit of all...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net