Poll: Who is our best 6?
Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 11:51

There is little doubt who first choice 7 & 8 are but who is the best 6?

Ellis
Bayliss
Mercer
Williams
Reid

You must be logged in to vote.

30 Votes

Show results

There is little doubt who first choice 7 & 8 are but who do we think is our best 6?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2019/20 Semesa Rokoduguni
2020/21 Will Stuart

Re: Poll: Who is our best 6?
Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 11:59

Yes, I suspect it's one of them.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 12:04

There was a lot of debate about or best 8 a couple weeks back with a significant number thinking Zac is, rather than Talupe.....

I think the 6 position changes based on the opposition.
Bayliss isn't a 6, he's clearly a 7.
Mercer is an 8.

For me, 6 is between Ellis and Reid, though happy with any of the three 6s we have.
Great to have such depth.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 12:15

Quote:
Dorset Boy
I'd go further I think the back row does. Ospreys at the peak often players Underhill at 6 and had a back row of 6, 6, 8 or 7, 7, 8 depending on the opposition, Ewells has played there as well.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 12:38

The best thing about this is its a hard decision!

Date: 23 September, 2020 13:31

Quote:
Dorset Boy
There was a lot of debate about or best 8 a couple weeks back with a significant number thinking Zac is, rather than Talupe.....
Bayliss isn't a 6, he's clearly a 7.
Mercer is an 8.

Great to have such depth.

All true, I'd say Bayliss is our 2nd choice 7 and Mercer our 2nd choice 8, but both have also appeared at 6 since the restart.

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2020/21 Will Stuart

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 13:51

McNally isn't on the list. I think that he even played against Bath last season at 6? Stooke has played there too obviously. I think that the new rules favour a mobile (preferably jackaling) 6 - I could see Reid nailed there in a couple of years.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2020 13:52 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 15:19

Ellis was MoM against Sale, and in the Telegraph team of the weekend. Last night he came off at '59, with us trailing 3-20. I don't think that reflects badly on Ellis, but well on Hatley for his substitutions and reading of the game, and on the back-row depth.

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 21:43

Depends who's at 7 & 8 and in the 2nd row too. If you've got Ewels and McNally in the second row and Underhill at seven, I'd go for Bayliss. He's quicker round the park and more athletic than the others.

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 21:59

Faletau isnít our best 8. Kind of mind boggling to suggest heís a shoe in. The injuries arenít his fault but heís had them and the fact is he hasnít played much for Bath during his time here. Waste of a marquee wage. No one can predict injuries but facts are facts. The most precious ability is availability.

Mercer at 8.

6 & 7 is a toss up between Underhill, Bayliss and Reid for me.

Love Ellis but heís not got the mobility. Love his strength and attitude though (and height). Not much in the way of ball handling and passing skills though. On top of the physical stuff, thatís what sets the top flankers apart.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 22:34

Quote:
Danchinho
Faletau isnít our best 8. Kind of mind boggling to suggest heís a shoe in. The injuries arenít his fault but heís had them and the fact is he hasnít played much for Bath during his time here. Waste of a marquee wage. No one can predict injuries but facts are facts. The most precious ability is availability.
Mercer at 8.

6 & 7 is a toss up between Underhill, Bayliss and Reid for me.

Love Ellis but heís not got the mobility. Love his strength and attitude though (and height). Not much in the way of ball handling and passing skills though. On top of the physical stuff, thatís what sets the top flankers apart.

Someone has to do the grunt work and Ellis provides a line out option. I'd say he's our best 6 but not our most versatile back rower so it depends on what you're selecting for. Reid is not a 6 for me (at least not yet).

TBH our best 6 over recent years has been Matt Garvey.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2020 23:52 by joethefanatic.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 22:41

Reid is a lineout option as well. He's been really impressive since restart.

Date: 24 September, 2020 08:08

Quote:
Danchinho
Faletau isnít our best 8. Kind of mind boggling to suggest heís a shoe in.
Selection would suggest that he is at the moment.

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2020/21 Will Stuart

Posted by: Danchinho (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 22:39

The fact ZM is not even making the bench suggests to me he has a knock or a strain or something.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net