Current Page: 1 of 2
Front Rows
Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 23:00

As I see it we are back to the days when we could regularly field two very strong front rows every game. And for me Catty and Henry still don’t get in.
1 Beno, Dunner, Stuart
2 Boyce Jack Judge
3 Catty Batty Henry

And that does not include Vaughan, Schoeman and one or two others from the academy..

With Charlie, Elliott, Josh and Will behind, it is a long time since we have had such an embarrassment of riches in the tight 5. And with Hats to orchestrate, things are looking rather good.

Re: Front Rows
Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 05:24

Boyce has definitely stepped up since the break. Far less hot headedness, much improved in the scrum and carrying superbly.

I have to say that Catt and Thomas are probably yesterday’s men and can’t see them featuring a great deal unless there are injuries and I can’t think we would give them another contract. A shame but things have moved on and their bodies have been through a lot.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 07:48

Quote:
ken_jnr
Boyce has definitely stepped up since the break. Far less hot headedness, much improved in the scrum and carrying superbly.
I have to say that Catt and Thomas are probably yesterday’s men and can’t see them featuring a great deal unless there are injuries and I can’t think we would give them another contract. A shame but things have moved on and their bodies have been through a lot.

Catt will be 33 in Jan and his body has taken a beating. He is doing some coaching at Beechen at the moment so I wonder if that's something he wants to go into?

Henry Thomas on the other hand is still only 28 (29 next month, only about 14 months older than Judge) so should have plenty of gas left in the tank if his hammys are up to it.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: Rawce (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 08:19

Happy for either of Thomas and Judge to fight it out behind Stuart. The FaceBook group seems to suggest that the reason we have Schoeman is because Catt's injuries mean he's having to retire.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 08:22

I thought Catt had retired? Maybe I dreamt that?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 08:28

Quote:
woodpecker

That's Mike Catt Woody !

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 08:30

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker

That's Mike Catt Woody !

Mike Catt's retired? You're kidding. I thought he was still playing for LI.

Posted by: jayeatman (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 10:00

Quote:
woodpecker
More than likely, just not official yet.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas
2019/20 Semesa Rokoduguni
2020/21 Will Stuart

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 15:19

I think Boyce has been better than obano since lockdown... Controversy alert!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 16:45

Quote:
dannyf2
I think Boyce has been better than obano since lockdown... Controversy alert!

Obano was named man of the match for Bath against Northampton Saints. Both different players tbh and both have played well.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 19:11

Not saying obano has been bad - but I think Boyce has been excellent. Sorted his scrummaging and now concedes fewer pens. We're in a great place with front rows

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 08:00

Agree, we’re in a very good place up front. For me, the set piece has been revolutionised over the last 12-18 months, which is awesome, but the work rate of our front row around the field sets them apart. You see Beno getting out of the line to smash people, Stuart carrying and carrying, Dunn chopping people down and making 20 carries a game. Then the bench comes on and does the same.

From the little I’ve seen of him, I also really like the look of Schoeman. Abrasive carrier, solid set piece and his work rate looks very good.

Date: 25 September, 2020 09:42

I think Obano has been outstanding in the loose makes a lot of ground and made a huge hit last game.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 16:46

Obano/Boyce is definitely a good selection problem to have...

Personally I think Beno starting and Boyce finishing has suited our game best but, depending, on the opposition it gives an option to switch things up.

Posted by: copester (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 07:00

Agree with above posts, Think they have been brilliant. I wouldnt swap any of them currently even i was offererd Mako or Sinkler!. The only problem we could have is with Eddies current love in with Bath! (He seems to be at every game) he could take the whole front row in the autumn. As well as Ewels, Underhill, Spencer, Watson, JJ, R Mac, plus Faletau and Matevasi we could be 11 down nest season.

adopted player 20/21. Henry Thomas. 19/20. Max Wright
18/19. Cooper Vuna.

Posted by: charlieboa (IP Logged)
Date: 26 September, 2020 08:26

Front row options are fantastic.

I would back all 6 of our frontline props to anchor a solid or dominant scrum.

Our frontline hookers have pretty reliable darts.

They are now all layering on some great work around the park esp in terms of carrying and aggressive defence.

My cup final team personally would be beno, dunn, stuart, with boyce, walker, judge on bench but if henry stays fit i think he is an excellent option as a v skilful ball player who runs great lines.

As you say england may well come calling, my major frustration is when they are travelling reserves, neither available for us but not getting the experience of playing big test match games.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 October, 2020 08:59

Personally looking at Boyce and Obano - they are different scrummaging options as far as LHP goes - LH is a really technical position - Obano is hugely powerful, heavy and destructive but sometimes struggles against a THP who takes him low as shown against Glos - Balmain was bringing Obano down so as to counter his power - and if the Ref does not police it like Maxwell-Keys failed to then it nullifies your power and can work against you - unbalancing the whole scrum.

Boyce is a different option - he is not as powerful as Obano (lets be honest not many are) and I would guess not as heavy - what he does do like our own David Sole used to do is he gets some great positions and angles meaning the opposition THP is splintered - yes it borders "boring in" but if done subtly and that is the art - "smoke and mirrors" so to speak - kidding the ref that you are scrummaging straight. In addition Boyce is happier scrummaging lower to Obano.

That's why you will often see the opposition hooker come up when Boyce is playing and when Obano is on top the opposition scrum tends to fold or go backwards at a rate of knots - either way they are both highly effective and both draw penalties.

What I am saying Horses for Courses - best of both worlds and we are fortunate to have both and then include Schuman who has really impressed me in the odd times he has come on and I am sure he will be pushing for a place soon - maybe just maybe on Sunday against his old mate and fellow S African Vincent Koch - someone Schuman knows inside out....Who knows.

Date: 06 October, 2020 10:56

Obano gets into Owen Slot's team of the season (nobody else) Aaah Spencer gets an honourable mention..

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

The regular season of the Gallagher Premiership was supposed to end two days ago. Sale Sharks have given us a short extension, but this campaign has been going on long enough, so here is my team of the season anyway.

15 Charles Piutau (Bristol) Consistently brilliant. Top of the charts for most metres gained.

14 Luke Morahan (Bristol) Doesn’t get headlines like Semi Radradra and Piutau, but he is so sharp and error free, has nine tries to his name.

13 Malakai Fekitoa (Wasps) A key man during Wasps extraordinary rise from the depths of the table. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester) was also classy, far smarter than a mere carrier, and is developing a good kicking game.

12 Sam James (Sale) Consistent, versatile and under-rated. For the first third of the season, Rory Hutchinson (Northampton) stood out but he could not rise above his team’s struggles thereafter.

11 Tom O’Flaherty (Exeter) Incredible, light dancing feet and used more and more by Exeter.

10 Joe Simmonds (Exeter) Has grown in class and authority throughout the year. Must be close to an England call-up, surely. Jacob Umaga (Wasps) has also come on considerably since the restart.

9 Dan Robson (Wasps) For the last few years, the best No 9s have been South Africans. Now, Robson and Ben Spencer (Bath) have been a class apart.

1 Beno Obano (Bath) A modern all-court prop; brilliant from start to finish.

2 Harry Thacker (Bristol) Don’t you just love watching this guy? A mention too for Tom Dunn (Bath), fourth in the Premiership for most tackles made.

3 Harry Williams (Exeter) It will be forever one of Eddie Jones’s biggest errors to leave him behind for the World Cup. Will Stuart (Bath) is also clearly a growing force.

4 Jonny Hill (Exeter) Unusual to see a lock forward as one of the league’s top try-scorers.

5 Maro Itoje (Saracens) Only played nine games, but his impact is extraordinary and the standard he drives relentlessly elite.

6 Jake Polledri (Gloucester) Such a shame they are not called the British, Irish and Italian Lions. Ben Earl (Saracens/Bristol) also had an immense season.

7 Jack Willis (Wasps) Ranks top for turnovers. By a very considerable distance.

8 Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins) Steadily growing in confidence and authority. Good speed, hands and game awareness. Sam Simmonds (Exeter) has also been outstanding.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 11:43 by woodpecker.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2020 11:06

Powerful team Woody but can you really leave Semi Radradra out of it, only played part of the season but has looked unplayable at times with both his passing and running.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2020 11:39

Players that Eddie simply can't ignore (and therefore will almost certainly ignore):

Dan Robson
Joe Simmonds
Jack Willis

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net