What a question Mehryar grinning smiley

The question was sponsor, not money.. 😏

https://i.ibb.co/zhmNGgW/GRDAY1header-01.png

Re: News and Stuff!
Posted by: Stu69 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 20:05

Quote:
erratic
We can at least see the direction Stroll wanted Williams to go in, and perhaps why the parting of the ways was inevitable given Williams determination to build their own car.
Mind you, it must be a great feeling for RP fans at the moment, knowing that they at least have a team that will be in the mix somewhere rather than challenging for last place.

How would we feel as Williams fans if they had done a Mercedes clone, jumped up the grid and then developed the car from that baseline on their own and put more time and
resources into trying to get the next one right?

I would be delighted!

Posted by: Ozzy Osbone (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 20:25

Personally I would not be happy. All seems a bit fake and I really hate a pink car.

Posted by: an.jo (IP Logged)
Date: 12 August, 2020 20:53

Does achieving the ends justify the means in sporting competition or do the ends organize, direct and valorize a fair competition? What is the difference between person-X being ecstatic because team-A won and X bet on A versus X being ecstatic because he was a longtime follower of A? If its not the means that justify the excitement for a successful outcome, a process of fair competition, what's the point? I don't get it. If Williams went the RP route, this longtime fan would say FU and goodbye.

I've heard justifications for what RP did along the lines of exploiting a technical loophole. When that has been done in the past, it has involved teams being technically creative, like a double-diffuser. They came up with a new idea that pushed the limits of the rules. That's almost heroic. (Literally, for the ancient Greeks, a hero was someone who tested the limits of human experience ... hubris ... invoking the ire of the Gods.) What RP did with the aid of Mercedes was purely cynical.

Posted by: ihme (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2020 13:37

How much will this affect us?

"Formula 1 teams have been informed by the FIA of plans for new restrictions on engine modes for qualifying which will be put in place by the Belgian Grand Prix."

[www.motorsport.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2020 14:14 by ihme.

Date: 13 August, 2020 15:53

I think as we don't make Q3, not much. I get the feeling that Merc has modes for Q1, Q2 and Q3 and no customers are allowed to use Q3 mode for Q1 for example. I don't know for sure but that's the idea I get.

It may well help Renault, Mclaren and Ferrari though.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 13 August, 2020 16:36

We might have some special modes for Q looking at how we usually perform better in Q than in races.

Date: 13 August, 2020 20:43

Quote:
Anderis
We might have some special modes for Q looking at how we usually perform better in Q than in races.

We just have Russel Mode!

Date: 01 September, 2020 20:03

[wtf1.com]

Seb has bought a faster car!! Seriously though is this one from the Williams collection??

Posted by: Matt Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 02 September, 2020 11:14

Quote:
Stu69
https://wtf1.com/post/sebastian-vettel-has-bought-a-williams-fw14b/
Seb has bought a faster car!! Seriously though is this one from the Williams collection??

I don't get why Williams would be selling such famous classic cars like this one, Frank Williams is a multi millionaire it is not like he needs the money, why aren't Williams keeping such classic cars like this one in the family, I don't get it?Why sell such a classic, wouldn't the Williams family want to keep this?

Date: 02 September, 2020 16:01

Quote:
Matt Brown
Quote:
Stu69

I don't get why Williams would be selling such famous classic cars like this one, Frank Williams is a multi millionaire it is not like he needs the money, why aren't Williams keeping such classic cars like this one in the family, I don't get it?Why sell such a classic, wouldn't the Williams family want to keep this?

Hi Matt
But I think the back catalogue was sold with the business so it isnít down to SFW anymore? It would be the new owners call. Take the emotion out and it generates cash. Shame though if that is the case.
Stu

Posted by: Matt Brown (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 07:45

Quote:
Stu69
Quote:
Matt Brown
Quote:
Stu69

Hi Matt
But I think the back catalogue was sold with the business so it isnít down to SFW anymore? It would be the new owners call. Take the emotion out and it generates cash. Shame though if that is the case.
Stu

Yeah that is a bit of a shame (Sm18)

Posted by: Goxxy (IP Logged)
Date: 03 September, 2020 12:14

That's it for Williams, Claire no more... (Sm136)

[www.williamsf1.com]

Date: 05 September, 2020 09:08

ABSOLUTELY NO WONDER WILLIAMS COULDNT COMPETE!

The Mercedes Formula 1 team spent over £333m to win the 2019 world championship, newly released figures have revealed.

The numbers indicate how much the team will have to restructure as the sport heads into 2021 and the new era of the cost cap.

Next year under the FIA financial regulations the team will have to run to a budget of $145m, or the approximate equivalent of £108m.

While there are many exclusions that don't come under the cap, such as the salaries of drivers and top management and marketing expenses, there is still a huge gulf for Mercedes to shrink to meet the new rules.

Date: 05 September, 2020 20:05

I am actually feeling a little angry about how much Merc have been spending. Basically they have bought themselves titles over and over. That of course is no surprise BUT why hasnít the FIA imposed budget caps before now. Capped at £200mill would at least have levelled the top 3.

Just crazy racing drug fuelled insanity. All the good people at Caterham and HRT and Williams never stood a chance of competing. What a shambles. It actually taints Lewis Hamiltonís achievements. So is Toto the best?? No he just had the biggest wallet!

Rant over!

Posted by: Albi-Quin (IP Logged)
Date: 05 September, 2020 20:24

Quote:
Stu69
I am actually feeling a little angry about how much Merc have been spending. Basically they have bought themselves titles over and over. That of course is no surprise BUT why hasnít the FIA imposed budget caps before now. Capped at £200mill would at least have levelled the top 3.
Just crazy racing drug fuelled insanity. All the good people at Caterham and HRT and Williams never stood a chance of competing. What a shambles. It actually taints Lewis Hamiltonís achievements. So is Toto the best?? No he just had the biggest wallet!

Rant over!

I accept your sentiments totally. But before we get holier than thou, I wonder how our budgets compared with our rivals during the glory years.

Date: 05 September, 2020 20:50

That would be interesting to know. Of course there was a huge tie in with Renault and Newey was in his genius years.

A good few years back Max Moseley wanted the budget cap and really was defeated due to the outing of his various preferences. It's my belief that 'they' had that on him for a while and outed him to stop the budget cut. I was supportive of it at the time. So it looks like it's finally happening but there have been casualties. Williams being one.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 06 September, 2020 13:18

Quote:
Ozzy Osbone
It's my belief that 'they' had that on him for a while and outed him to stop the budget cut.

'They' or 'He' ??

Bernie was instrumental in exiling Adam Parr from the paddock - architect of the Resource Restriction Agreement - which subsequently disappeared without trace.

Date: 06 September, 2020 13:29

Who knows? I have my ideas and 'he' was very much tied in with 'them' but I'll keep my ideas to myself. He knew where the money was coming from and all they had to do was threaten to leave the sport every now and again.

Date: 07 September, 2020 19:58

Reverse Grids Idea Again!! (Toto, the man with the biggest wallet, not impressed!)

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Current Page: 55 of 56
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net