United States - Race
Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 00:54

just to make sure I thought I would get in early with this topic.

Sunday's race is going to be just as difficult as previous ones. Both cars starting from the rear and seem to be at least a second off the pace of those cars in front.

But that was qualifying so their pace maybe that bit better come Sunday. Either way it is going to be another race I would think where its a case of how many laps they go down by the end of the race.

Re: United States - Race
Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 19:38

George's lapping as quick as Gio and Grosjean for a few laps already...weldone

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Posted by: Myvatn (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 19:41

Quote:
Mehryar
George's lapping as quick as Gio and Grosjean for a few laps already...weldone
A bit faster. He must improve the first lap though, he always loses lots of time behind Kubica because of that.

Date: 03 November, 2019 19:56

I don't know what was that strategy! Before Gio's stop, George was 7sec behind and slightly faster.They kept him on track too long and he's now 28sec behind! More than a full stop...stupid.

Posted by: Damon96 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 20:12

Stroll must be stopping again, can't imagine the softs lasting 24 laps. Looks like our pace nowhere near Force India, not sure abou HAAS, Grosjean seems to be having a poor race compared to KMag. Wonder what happened to Kubica's car?

Date: 03 November, 2019 20:31

Race pace not far from Haas. I donít understand the strategy though, two stops seemed faster.

Date: 03 November, 2019 20:34

Second pit stop now. Makes no sense at all.

Posted by: Damon96 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 20:36

How have we eneded up 45 seconds behind?

Date: 03 November, 2019 20:41

Quote:
Damon96
How have we eneded up 45 seconds behind?
They tried a one-stop strategy but it did not work and they had to stop again with 8 laps to go. Not a good race by the pit wall crew.

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 03 November, 2019 21:17

Exciting at the front this weekend . . . normally don't bother with the first 5 cars ))

Some good races still though by the lower order . .. got to give a shout out to Norris, who hasn't had the best luck this season. Albon too, but he's still a bit far off Max in Q. And well, that Honda engine is pretty cool now.

Date: 04 November, 2019 03:24

Quote:
Damon96
Wonder what happened to Kubica's car?

Hydraulic leak.

Dave Robson, Senior Race Engineer: Today we simply struggled for pace, not helped by the gusty conditions which made the car difficult to drive, and which were punishing for the tyres. We had hoped to one stop the race, but the high tyre degradation made that almost impossible.

Both drivers raced hard and fairly at the beginning of the race with George eventually getting the better of Robert with the help of DRS. Unfortunately, we had to retire Robert's car with a hydraulic issue shortly after half distance. This was very disappointing, and we will need to look at the problem and ensure that it doesn't happen again. George drove well in the difficult circumstances, but we couldn't give him the car today to allow him to race. He was able to take a place from Magnussen by managing his car well and taking it to the end. Whilst this feels like a hollow victory now, it is all valuable experience which will stand him and the team in good stead for the future.

Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 08:04

Out of the last few races I would have to rate that one as the most difficult as neither Russell or Kubica had any real pace even compared to those close to them on the track. They just seemed to lose pace right through the race and add Kubica's retirement and it was not the best of races.

Date: 04 November, 2019 11:03

Well I believe the performance was there to compete with Haas and Alfa, atleast being alot closer to them if it was not for their stupid strategy.

The only comparable laps were when Russell overtook Kubica and was in clean air, lapping on same pace as Gio and Grosjean...Then the strategy stepped in and for remaining laps, they were always on better tyres.You could see how much Hulk was losing to his rivals when being on worn out tyres.

Date: 04 November, 2019 12:58

Quote:
Mehryar
Well I believe the performance was there to compete with Haas and Alfa, atleast being alot closer to them if it was not for their stupid strategy.
The only comparable laps were when Russell overtook Kubica and was in clean air, lapping on same pace as Gio and Grosjean...Then the strategy stepped in and for remaining laps, they were always on better tyres.You could see how much Hulk was losing to his rivals when being on worn out tyres.

+1

Considering they have only spent tea-money on development this year, should we take this as encouraging for 2020?

There are two Paddy design principles which have been realised. The car is easy to drive - even a guy with one arm and one left hand can do it - and it performs (or non-performs if you prefer) fairly equally at all tracks, which was not the case with the Coughlan car.

Maybe if they focus on losing the drag - a la McLaren - it could be reasonably in the pack next year. Or is this wishful thinking?

In fairness, I suppose you can argue that teams generally underestimated tyre wear.

Posted by: dot_com (IP Logged)
Date: 04 November, 2019 12:58

Did anyone see GRís pass on RK? I didnít see it but curious if they kept it clean.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net