Brazil Saturday
Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 11:30

Now that the team has put Kubica's car back together, again, and the weather is far better lets hope we see some improved pace from both Williams drivers. in FP3 and Qualifying

Re: Brazil Saturday
Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 17:28

End of season . . . must be a real grind for the team . . . actually it's pretty boring watching too . . . the budget caps should have kicked in a lot sooner, I'm not sure I can watch another year of 3 team dominance. It's so z z z zzzzzz.

Posted by: Mehryar (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 18:01

Yes, sometimes you wonder what could happen if Mosely's idea was not blocked in 2008! It was way better than this new budget cap idea imo.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1095/mehryarsigyo7.gif

Posted by: Andrew Hooper (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 01:36

Well not much to report ion the Williams front. Same old same old Russell ahead of Kubica by the usual 0.5s.

But again the Williams mechanics out did themselves repairing Kubica's car with what turned out to be a chassis change and they did it within the curfew.

Now its down to see what will happen in Sunday's race. A bit of luck maybe coming Williams way but I just hope that at the bare minimum they have an uneventful race that sees both cars finish.

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 07:47

Good morning,

Mentioning the Max budget cap made me smile.

There is an article here from 2009 (oh nine)

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

...Also, the majority wanted a lot of exclusions such as land and buildings, the team principal's salary and the drivers.....

Whats the 2021 cap? $175m + $15m for the power unit excluding

Property,
Driver Salaries
Three highest paid employees,
Bonuses of up to $10m,
Marketing costs,
Flight and hotel costs,
Driver superlicence and championship entry fees,
Finance costs,
HR Costs.

Suddenly we seem to be looking at a cost cap of maybe $220m-$250m for teams that don't make their own power units.

For teams that do make power units there is no cap on the development and production costs, an accounting limit is set at $15m for the value in the context of the cost cap and for supplies to other teams.

It seems to be getting reported more and more that the bonus payments to Merc, Ferrari (except for $50m), McLaren, Red Bull and Williams are going to be put into a pot to be distributed among the top 3 finishers over the last 10 years.

Seems that the top teams got what they wanted, almost no budget cap :-)

Bye

Ian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 08:03 by IanSmithISA.

Posted by: Anderis (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:12

Quote:
IanSmithISA
It seems to be getting reported more and more that the bonus payments to Merc, Ferrari (except for $50m), McLaren, Red Bull and Williams are going to be put into a pot to be distributed among the top 3 finishers over the last 10 years.
What a rubbish development.

I might as well give up on watching F1 if all of that money stays with the top3 teams. It ruins 90% of the fun if you know the pecking order for a few years in advance and you know it's not going to be tight.

I could have expected that the big teams will force the budget cap not to be very restrictive but if prize money structure is also not shifted significantly in favour of midfield, then pretty much nothing changes in the anti-competitive nature of F1 and I'm not enjoying F1 as it is. Too predictable both from race to race and from season to season. The only time I was properly excited with F1 in the last 2 or so years was this year's German GP. I'm skipping the races more and more often these days and if 2021 changes won't satisfy me, I guess I will be mostly done as F1 viewer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 10:17 by Anderis.

Posted by: IanSmithISA (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 11:25

Good morning,

Hopefully it is only being reported and is not true. :-)

If it is true then Williams would get a small amount from their 3rd places in 2013 and 2014, but it wouldn't really help them or anyone else.

It does seem that this would create a strong top tier of perhaps four teams who can have good and bad years but remain well funded; Merc, Red Bull, Ferrari, McLaren with Renault and Alfa having an occasional boost from a lucky season as neither team seems to be funded well enough to actually win. Toro Rosso, Racing Point, Williams and Haas scoring points but excluded from this pot for a long time, quite possibly permanently.

In 2018 Williams' group salary cost was just under 70m ($93m) , clearly Merc's etc would be higher as they have more people. So will we see some of the bigger teams lose employees to meet the cost cap and then over the next few years create new roles with salaries significantly lower then they are now?

There are many F1 roles that are very well paid in comparison to similar jobs in other industries, so once a new norm is established they would still be attractive.

As the power unit development costs are not capped, any money that Merc and Ferrari save on their team can simply go into power unit development, with car development restricted small power unit advances would be very valuable.

The big loser here would be Renault who seem to want to fund a relatively low cost F1 program and possibly Honda who have no or little income from their F1 project.

Bye

Ian

Posted by: Gunk (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 12:36

Quote:
Anderis
What a rubbish development.

I might as well give up on watching F1 if all of that money stays with the top3 teams. It ruins 90% of the fun if you know the pecking order for a few years in advance and you know it's not going to be tight.

Yes . . . +100

I really think Williams should move into Formula E or something where they can compete . . . what is the point of spending 80m a year to come last . . . more to the point, why mortgage more land or borrow more millions . . . makes no sense. I really don't see them earning it back.

Also a bit baffled by Hulk . . . never been on the podium in his entire career . . . where is the satisfaction in that . . yet still hanging out for maybe something . . . what a waste.

Anyway, so much for Liberty shaking things up. Ain't gonna happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net