Alan Solomons: Worcester Warriors squad depth "miles better"
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 08:52

Quote:
WN

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/10593751.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

“There is massive competition here which makes selection very difficult,” Solomons said.

“I am very pleased that over two recruitment cycles we have now got miles better strength in depth within our squad and that competition is going to drive performance.”

Solomons’ comments came after an injury-hit Warriors side claimed a 19-14 victory at Harlequins.

Scrum-half Michael Heaney who joined Worcester from Doncaster Knights in the summer of 2018 stepped in to fill the void left by the injured Francois Hougaard (shoulder) and produced a man-of-the-match performance at The Stoop.

“Michael really grew into that game,” Solomons said.

“He was mature and handled it really well. He was splendid.

Is he right have we improved out strength in depth?

Full Article Here

JP

Re: Alan Solomons: Worcester Warriors squad depth "miles better"
Posted by: w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:05

Quote:
Faithful_City
Quote:
WN

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/resources/images/10593751.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=responsive-gallery

“There is massive competition here which makes selection very difficult,” Solomons said.

“I am very pleased that over two recruitment cycles we have now got miles better strength in depth within our squad and that competition is going to drive performance.”

Solomons’ comments came after an injury-hit Warriors side claimed a 19-14 victory at Harlequins.

Scrum-half Michael Heaney who joined Worcester from Doncaster Knights in the summer of 2018 stepped in to fill the void left by the injured Francois Hougaard (shoulder) and produced a man-of-the-match performance at The Stoop.

“Michael really grew into that game,” Solomons said.

“He was mature and handled it really well. He was splendid.

Is he right have we improved out strength in depth?

Full Article Here

JP
Yes.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 10:32

Yes and particularly so at centre, back row and fly half.

Posted by: Sheldon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 18:03

For years we had players that were not really good enough. Often someone would come on off the bench and you knew that was our chance gone.

I do believe AS. There is almost no one I would worry about coming on in a premiership match that is in the first team squad.

Having said that I still think that by comparison we have one of the weaker squads - particularly in the forwards .

I also think that we need to rotate more often. Players like Shillcock and Humphries have a lot to offer . Venter and Beck together may also be the way forward.

Posted by: Warwick Eastie (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 21:37

I agree with the comments - depth is good.

That's not to say there is always room for one or two more star / high quality players. I think we lack depth in front row and would love a big ball carrier a la Billy Vunipola - but fair play the forwards have been very competitive so far.

I still think we'll miss Bryce and Josh - but a massive plus is having 2 high quality 10s and serious depth in the back row. Centre is also looking good and 9 has depth.

So overall - in good shape as a squad.

Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 23:04

I think hooker is becoming a position of strength too. Annett is playing great at the moment,Matt Moulds is a great player too, but yet to play and Big Joe was nominated for World Player of the Year. Add Isaac Miller and Bec Cutting and that’s great depth too.

The only positions I feel we lack real top quality is both at loosehead and tighthead especially behind Nick, but then again I thought Palframan did really well the weekend and I was pretty impressed with his passing and mobility too. I’d like to see a monster of a second row alongside Graham Kitchener too.

Apart from that I really like the squad. Some quality youngsters coming through too like Andrew Kitchener, Shilly, Ollie Lawrence and Kai Owen who I hope gets a shot in the Euro games the next few weeks.

One position or should I say person I’m most pleased with is Heaney. Francois is pretty much nailed on for the 9 shirt, but Heaney is challenging him now which is great to see. Hopefully Kitto will get the opportunity to impress soon too as well as Simpson.

Posted by: Old Col (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:09

Don't forget Butler and Hearle.And other strong develloppers in the pipeline .

Posted by: Worcester Way (IP Logged)
Date: 15 November, 2019 11:54

Good tight head props are the most difficult position to recruit for in rugby I think, there really isn't that many at all.

I think this seasons squad is much better. It isn't littered with star names but there is 2 quality players for each position who are capable of playing to the game plan. I've been really impressed with the work Solly has done, but I think it all started with Gary Gold.

Cornell Du Preez has been a real highlight for me, monsterous in defence. It's refreshing to watch the club and see some kind of plan obviously in place during the 80 minutes. We have a style and we stick to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net