New head coach at Gloucester
Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 11:37

It seems our neighbours down the road at Gloucester have confirmed Skivington as their new head coach. This has been a rumour since 5th June and it is fair to say that London Irish are not at all pleased! Skivington still had over a year of his contract left and LI had received no formal approach from Gloucester. Presumably LI can claim some compensation from Gloucester?

Re: New head coach at Gloucester
Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 12:23

I wish him well.
I would have been mighty worried had Cockers or Lancaster been appointed.
Alex Brown is Chief Operating Officer.
No DOR. Makes Bradley more powerful.
Reading Shedweb, it appears that Cips may be a very important voice. We did not fare well with player power. Have always had a soft spot for Glouc, so I hope that the rumblings are exaggerated and this turns out to be a good appointment for them. (Obviously I hope that our appointments are better).

Posted by: TrueWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 12:45

Isn't it nice to not be the club involved in a coaching/ownership circus for once (touches wood very quickly.)

I've seen a few views from Glos fans saying that LI have overeacted but most seem pretty scathing of the CEO for seemingly not following correct protocols.

Date: 28 June, 2020 14:35

Irish very unhappy about not receiving any communication from Glouc about approaching one of their contracted coaches.
Announcement made by Glouc on a Saturday night, when Bradley had said announcement would be in early July.
It is nice to feel like we are being well run at long last.

Posted by: lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 18:01

Apparently Gloucester sought clarification on the situation re his availability but never got a proper response. Looks like Gloucester have been proactive about the appointment and Irish wanted to make it difficult for them to nab him.

Posted by: Asterz (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 18:09

As far as I can tell, the only way Glos could have considered ‘that GS was not restricted contractually from joining the club’ is if he told them he had a ‘Head Coach’ or similar clause in his contract.
Naive at best from Glos to take a lack of response as carte blanche.

That’s all a but simplistic - suspect there is more to come out.

Date: 28 June, 2020 18:22

All sounds a bit "he said, she said."
I think you are right. This has the potential to rumble for a while yet.

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 19:21

Could well be a good appointment by Gloucester as GS seems to have developed a reputation as someone who can create a strong pack. I think that you are right Offa and this is not going to be resolved quickly.

Posted by: westglos (IP Logged)
Date: 28 June, 2020 20:42

Quote:
Asterz
As far as I can tell, the only way Glos could have considered ‘that GS was not restricted contractually from joining the club’ is if he told them he had a ‘Head Coach’ or similar clause in his contract.
Naive at best from Glos to take a lack of response as carte blanche.

That’s all a but simplistic - suspect there is more to come out.

It does look messy, but as our CEO was previously CEO of Mitsubishi Motors UK I have reasonable confidence that he would have done his due diligence.

Posted by: Abmatt (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 08:31

Having met LB a few times, as westglocs said I think due diligence would have been done. He’s not a stupid guy.

Think this is a storm in a tea cup and a bit of posturing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net