Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Tuilagi
Posted by: kiddykid (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 21:53

Should we be adding Sale to the teams we reckon who could be over the salary cap - or am I being over-suspicious?

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 23:18

Not sure anybody would be stupid enough to now.

Posted by: lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 23:21

Believe they got their highest paid player off the books in Ashton meaning funds would be freed up for this move

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2020 10:15

Am I right in thinking we got a better return out of Te'o than Tiggers got from Manu? Didn't Te'o average something like 12 games a season for us? He's a great player when he plays, but I'd suggest there's more to consider.

Posted by: PMB (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2020 12:29

Considering the support he was given while injured which was quite a lot in recent years there does appear to be a lack of loyalty on display. One gets the feeling that he has taken a cut in moving anyway in order to be considered for England duty.
The Rugby Paper seems to think that players wages may be on a downward trend in the future with less money about so it will be interesting to see how things develop.

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2020 13:13

I agree PMB though I have read recently that he had to pay for his own rehab and his wages were linked to appearances. However Iíve no idea if this is true!

Posted by: lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 04:07

He was paid partly by a cleaning company that was set up in his name upon arrival to Worcester. Said company would clean the premises for a price and he would take all the cheddar home.

I hope for the clubs sake they donít undertake this way of paying players still what with everything going on with Sarries.

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 09:29

Quote:
kiddykid
Should we be adding Sale to the teams we reckon who could be over the salary cap - or am I being over-suspicious?

Lot of people missed the fact that most sides got a lot of players on new deals before June 18th. In the case of Sale this was reportedly their entire squad so only 75% of the salary of every member of their squad counts towards the salary cap. Given the salary cap actually stays the same next year, even if they didn't cut a penny from each player they would have 25% of their cap free for next season on that basis.

This is how Exeter have just announced 30 new deals signed before the deadline for 3 or 4 years ensuring they can keep Hogg etc for the entire duration of the lower salary cap without requiring Hogg, Slade etc to take a pay cut. As a Bris fan I wouldn't be at all surprised if we announce that we have done something similar in the next few weeks. Makes a mockery of the attempts to lower the cap but I guess it was the only way clubs would vote it through.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 14:33

James_P so the clubs voted for something they could get around. What does that tell us ?

Posted by: James_P (IP Logged)
Date: 15 July, 2020 20:06

Quote:
ROLLO
James_P so the clubs voted for something they could get around. What does that tell us ?

That there wasn't ever the league wide appetite for a lower salary cap, despite some clubs using this as a somewhat dishonest explanation for wholesale salary cuts for their squads. Exeter have come out in their statement and basically declared that they won't be affected by the cuts, Sale already have shown they are not impacted. From the reports at the time Bristol, Quins and Saints are all in a similar position.

Seems counterintuitive but from the way this seems to be shaping up, the clubs with lower income desperate for a lower cap are actually going to be at an even greater disadvantage than they were under the 7m cap. As they'll still be competing against teams spending 7m while they themselves are constrained to 5m.

Current Page: 4 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net