Date: 03 July, 2020 15:22

Re: Didn't see this coming
Posted by: lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 15:39

One of the worst defensive records in the league so not surprised

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 15:47

With Gordon Ross joining DR at Dragons and John Goodridge coming in having worked with Mike Sharrett at Bristol there appears to be a cohesion in the caoching team that we have not seen before. So the only man standing is Solly otherwise a complete new coaching team. Time will tell if it all works out.
Did anyone know that Ross had gone a month ago ?

Posted by: AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 16:06

The statement doesnít sound too positive from Omarís point of view. He only just signed a new contract recently so it seems like heís possibly fallen out with someone along those lines or the other coaches donít agree with his methods maybe? Leaving with immediate effect never sounds too good, but Iím confident enough to think the club will get someone in whoís potentially better anyway

Posted by: RJC (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 16:11

From a Bristol supporter, you have a coaching department with a lot of Bristolian connections, and a youthful coaching set up. JT will work wonders with your defence, we had reservations when he joined, but he improved ours immeasurably in the few years he's been here, Iro is a solid block and looks to be a solid coach as well, Sherrat's got a lot of experience from around the country.

Good luck for the restart, hopefully you can get the stability you guys need to push on.

Date: 03 July, 2020 16:18

Nice one RJC. Iím not overly concerned Omar has gone. The comments from someone on Twitter arenít too complimentary about his relationship with players and coaches either so itís probably a good thing itís being sorted now before the start of next season.

Also our game plan may change because if you look at the brand of rugby Bristol were playing last season it was extremely effective and exciting to watch. JT had the forwards playing rugby and they all looked great with ball in hand. From the training clips Iíve seen from the club recently Sherratt looks to be working closely with the forwards and the handling skills,so we could be looking to play a lot more with ball in hand.

Omar used to have our game plan kicking the ball away a lot more,which is probably the reason Nanai hardly touched the ball out wide on the wings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 16:21 by AJWarriors.

Posted by: Fiver (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 16:34

Left with immediate effect only means one thing doesn't it? Fired.

Posted by: lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 17:10

Quote:
AJWarriors
Nice one RJC. Iím not overly concerned Omar has gone. The comments from someone on Twitter arenít too complimentary about his relationship with players and coaches either so itís probably a good thing itís being sorted now before the start of next season.
Also our game plan may change because if you look at the brand of rugby Bristol were playing last season it was extremely effective and exciting to watch. JT had the forwards playing rugby and they all looked great with ball in hand. From the training clips Iíve seen from the club recently Sherratt looks to be working closely with the forwards and the handling skills,so we could be looking to play a lot more with ball in hand.

Omar used to have our game plan kicking the ball away a lot more,which is probably the reason Nanai hardly touched the ball out wide on the wings.

That game plan of kicking the ball away also contributed towards the idea that Worcester have a great D record as we had a high numbers of tackles when realistically it was down to a lack of possession.

38 tries against Worcester this season, with only Wasps(39) and Irish (47) having a worse record. Just goes to show that something needed shaking up in the defence department.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2020 17:12 by lokicrichtonfan.

Posted by: centrethere (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 17:40

compare with the video(s) when Omar spoke about defence. It was clear that the tries needed in attack were the problem. Solly seemed to agree at the time.

Fast forward to now.

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 18:38

I thought that Omar looked a little disengaged for much of that interview but perhaps he was learning all the stats that he reeled out! It certainly looks like on day one there was a difference of opinion on the way forward and perhaps he felt that he had less influence than before. Best to sort these things out on day one and not let them fester.

Posted by: WRC (IP Logged)
Date: 03 July, 2020 21:43

Very happy he is leaving . We have worst defense in the league . Players are happy he is leaving ,after speaking with a few today.
Omar has recently set up his own company promoting how a team should defend/tackle - as a couple of players stated ,if you were watching his website as a opposing team ,it is like giving away how we are going to defend !
I am led to believe he is going to a club in the south west of this country

Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 08:14

A very interesting post WRC and I think few of us are concerned given our defensive record. Also it sounds as if it will increase harmony in the team given the response of several of the players and setting up that website if not a breach of contract is pretty unhelpful. Am I correct in deducing from your post that he left as he had another job?

Posted by: TrueWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 09:00

The biggest positive in him leaving is he was in charge of kick strategy. This was clearly to kick the ball away whenever we had it in our 10metre channel or further back. We do not have a big heavy pack ; we cannot play that sort of game. Much better off playing to our strengths, which are a good back row and an attacking set of backs and play with a bit more attacking intent.

I imagine JT came in Day 1 and said 'No this is not good' and it was JT who seems to have won that particular battle. I have heard that players do not like him and viewed him as arrogant and up himself. I also have heard that he was not respected by the players because of his lack of playing experience but I'm not sure that should always hinder a coach. Interesting point about the videos, had not thought about that. Only vacancy in the south west is Bristol so the Bears it is for him I guess.

Date: 04 July, 2020 09:46

I agree with a lot of that TrueWarrior but I think Joe Batley will add a considerable amount of weight to our tight 5 now which will actually be very heavy. I think Waller and Schonert are both 19st as is Kitch snr. Bats is 19st+ and Moulds is 16st+ so that as a lot of grunt behind it now.

Posted by: TrueWarrior (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 10:55

Yeah that's true AJ. I would still look at our top 5 and say they are 'athletically strong' as opposed to 'brute force' strong (I appreciate those aren't precise anatomical terms!). Had overlooked Batley and he will add that grunt but I still think with the squad we have that, we are more set up to win 28-25 than 13-10 - more chance of winning a higher-scoring, close game than a tight, close game.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 12:16

True Warrior I think that Bell is leaving Glos.

Posted by: kiddykid (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 19:22

I am not sorry to see Omar leaving............for too long our attack has struggled to overcome the points being conceded at the back, and, we regularly feature in the worst three Ďpoints concededí sides. So, thank You Omar and we will try another way of doing it better.

Posted by: westglos (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 23:05

Rollo - you're correct. Our excellent defence coach Jonny Bell has departed for Glasgow (announced months ago). So in the SouthWest, Bristol and ourselves are in the market for a defence coach.
Mind you, your colleagues on this thread aren't exactly selling your man Omar very well!

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 10:01

I wouldnít bother he has overseen our worst defence since joining the Premiership

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 12:07

FC, I am sure that you have stats to prove that.
I confess to never feeling as dismal about our defense when SC was in charge. I think that our stats will look terrible with Omar because we never had the ball and always seemed to invite the oppo to attack us- although this strategy was also Omar's.

I suppose my point is that with Omar's defense it would take a long time for our damn to burst, but it happened frequently because of the constant pressure that it was under. Whereas the Cross defense used to smile and wave at the opposition as they strolled past on their way to the line.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net