Virus hits Sixways
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 07:02

Quote:
The Offy

Warriors can confirm that two members of staff have tested positive for COVID-19.

Both are asymptomatic but, as part of the procedures introduced by Premiership Rugby as part of Stage Two of the Return to Training Protocols, they will be re-tested.

Both are currently self-isolating at home.

Letís hope no more.

Full club statement

JP

Re: Virus hits Sixways
Posted by: shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 09:01

The DT reports 10 cases spread amongst Worcester, Quins, Saracens and Northampton.

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 11:28

Not looking good for spectators to be watch at the stadiums

Posted by: Abmatt (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2020 12:44

That wonít be for quite some time FC. Nov at the earliest I reckon, possibly Oct depending on how big the second wave will be.

Posted by: lawnsman (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2020 18:38

Currently the Evening News is quoting a Warriors spokesperson as saying the staff members who tested positive are now testing negative and will therefore be in full training next Monday.
If the report is correct the Medical staff at Warriors are taking a huge risk. False positive results are rare and subsequent tests which are negative then become irrelevant. The infected staff should be isolated for 7 days from the day the swabs were taken as a minimum

Posted by: LiveInHope (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2020 23:38

Not up to speed on this, but most test are designed to give a false positive rather than a false negative. Protocols are such that a positive result, often requires a further test, itís the 2nd test or consistent 3rd test that counts. Also some fast tests are again designed to give a false positive rather than negative, with the 2nd test being a lab test which is a lot more accurate.
The goal is never to give a false negative which is the dangerous situation, as Ill person would be given the all clear.
Itís the measuring of very small amounts (mild infection) of infection that can cause problems or confusion, thus even if there is a hint of infection it gives a positive. These very, very small traces is where the problem arises, as sometimes there isnít a hint of infection at all.
Itís not the Worcester Medics making this decision but almost certainly public health England.

Sorry for trying to trying clarify this, Feel itís important that we donít lose fail in testing. Itís design to fail safe.

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 08:04

Sorry, but Lawsman is spot on.. you test +ve and you isolate for 7 days.
False +ves are rare. Basically, if you test +ve then you have it.
Sadly, false -ves are reasonably common. A negative swab does not mean you 100% don't have it. But it is the best that we have got.

Posted by: Abmatt (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 09:17

Quote:
Offa
Sorry, but Lawsman is spot on.. you test +ve and you isolate for 7 days.
False +ves are rare. Basically, if you test +ve then you have it.
Sadly, false -ves are reasonably common. A negative swab does not mean you 100% don't have it. But it is the best that we have got.

For the general population, who donít have access to the testing facilities that the club have I would say yes, isolate for 7 days. This is not the case in sport, where players and staff are tested multiple times a week.

I donít see that the club have done anything wrong. The continual testing is one of the mitigationís that is allowing sport to return. I have no doubt that what the club has done is right and proper following correct medical advice. Otherwise everyone they have come into contact with would have to isolate and the club could potentially cease to effectively function.

Posted by: lawnsman (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 11:12

Apologies for boring you all but multiple testing of the same person after a positive test is meaningless. Whatever the results they do not eradicate the positive result. There is zero research applicable to a contact sport like rugby. If my team mate tested positive I would not be keen to see him in the squad for 10 days.

Posted by: Offa (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 12:03

Quite agree. UK gov stipulated 7 days at outset. Experience has told us that people can be ill for longer. I may be wrong on this but I think WHO were advising 14 days isolation after a +ve test. UK have 14d for a close contact of a +ve testing individual.

All in all I agree. A -ve test is not a guarantee of anything, just a "best we have" at the moment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net