Players voice their views re supporters
Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 13:27

Quote:
SPOTLIGHT: Premiership players have not been afraid to voice their opinions in the wake of the UK Government decision to delay the reintroduction of fans to stadiums, Jack Nowell of Exeter and Worcester’s Ethan Waller among them.
In a measure to curtail the spread of Covid-19, it could be well into 2021 that supporters will be able to flock to grounds around England rather than the initial plans for an October return.

A number of Premiership players have shared their disappointment as well as their confusion, not least because fans can still go to pubs, for instance, to watch a match.

Worcester Warriors loosehead prop Ethan Waller has perhaps summed up the players’ response to this announcement the best. The 28-year-old is certainly not on his own in this response, as many others have echoed similar views.

He said: “Nobody is harder than a pandemic. Completely get why changes need to be made, but why can people watch sport with six mates in a pub getting @#$%&, but can’t sit in open stadiums which would be easy to socially distance at? Any chance of some common sense prevailing at any point?”

England wing Nowell also had his say on the issue, the Exeter player tweeting: “How about this? ‘Open sports stadiums to whoever wants to go and watch, if you don’t, stay at home’. #justathought.”

Although it initially seems that the fans are the ones that miss out the most from empty stadiums, a range of sportspeople have discussed how unpleasant it is to perform in front of no one.

On an even more damaging note, however, the Rugby Football Union CEO Bill Sweeney has outlined the huge losses that unions face from having no spectators in the upcoming autumn internationals and even the Six Nations.

While most understand why such an approach is being taken, it has repeatedly been argued how much safer it is to have fans in an open stadium than it is to have them in other venues that are currently available to attend. Waller has simply voiced his confusion at this, which others have as well, and many more must be thinking.

I think Nowell's response is a not a sensible way to put it.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2020 13:28 by Faithful_City.

Re: Players voice their views re supporters
Posted by: Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 15:53

Absolutely stupid thing to say. Waller however has a point. Let’s not forget Covid doesn’t come out to play before 10pm, so get the games done and dusted in the afternoon right...

Posted by: NW2 (IP Logged)
Date: 24 September, 2020 19:05

Comments like Nowell’s are not helpful. I would have thought anyone with a modicum of common sense would understand why that approach would be disastrous.

Posted by: Drutz (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 12:45

Just throwing in a devils advocate point of view, mainly because I am bored, think part of the issue you would have is how people get to the ground.

With possible restrictions on household mixing in the wings how do you get say 3,000 people to the ground safely and home again while social distancing is in place?

You also do not have enough parking for say 2000 plus cars in around Sixways, I'm working on some families and bubbles would be able to travel together.

They could rule out car sharing, buses won't be cost effective, so cannot see the travel companies funding a free service in the current economical climate.

You cannot punish the out of town clubs like Warriors and Exeter and say city based ones, like Gloucester and Bath, can have people in as you'd have other fans complaining it was not fare, let alone what other clubs would say.

It's actually one of the few times being an out of town venue might be a burden than a boon as no one would really stay or turn up in advance as the bars etc would have to be in out no mingling with other supporters.

As I said not necessarily my views but just thought I'd throw in some issues that might be concerning people who make these decisions.

Pulling the boots on for one more year

Posted by: Faithful_City (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 13:39

Some very valid points Drutz.

It just shows how difficult and complex this all is.

JP

Posted by: Abmatt (IP Logged)
Date: 25 September, 2020 17:10

I notice all the trials so far were done, or we’re going to be done at ‘city’ based clubs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net