Current Page: 1 of 10
Summer Transfer 2020
Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 10:19

Can't find one of these, best to keep them all in one place. If there is one, delete this.
From Sky Trandfer this morning.

ARSENAL READY FOR ARTETA 'REBUILD'

Arsenal are ready to cash in on several first-team stars including Alexandre Lacazette and Hector Bellerin to raise funds for Mikel Arteta's rebuild, the Daily Mail reports.

Lacazette and Bellerin would only leave if 'sizeable offers' were made while Sokratis, Matteo Guendouzi, Lucas Torreira, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Sead Kolasinac, Shkodran Mustafi and Rob Holding are also reportedly in the shop window.

Re: Summer Transfer 2020
Posted by: tigerline (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 11:29

We have to sell one of these keepers too, right?

Posted by: Jonny Bravo (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 11:49

Quote:
Tiger
We have to sell one of these keepers too, right?

I don't think we necessarily have to if the basis for selling one of them is neither one will want to be sat on the bench next season.
Id rather we had two quality keepers pushing each to improve, rather than having to choose between one of them and getting in an inferior back up or promoting somebody young who wasn't at the same level yet.

This notion out there that we cant have two quality GK's is perplexing, and is perhaps a legacy of the past where the likes of Fabianski and Ospina were throwing them in when they got in between the sticks. The fact Martinez has come in and done so well as a back-up is an alien concept to us.

It was interesting watching the tunnel cam for the cup final where Martinez, coming back in from the celebrating the win, said to one of the Arsenal officials "I don't care about the money.." possibly eluding to a cup winning bonus but also perhaps more broadly indicating playing all the time is more important than anything to him else.

He has two years left on his contract, at the point where the club have stated they will be making decisions to renew or let go (unless your Auba). If has a desire to play every week and we get a tempting offer I wouldnt be against letting him go, but selling him to avoid the headache of having to choose between him and Leno is not approach of a so called top club.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 12:10 by Jonny Bravo.

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 12:24

Nelson apparently available as well.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Date: 03 August, 2020 12:27

Apparently we want 40 million for Guendouzi.
Would be surprised anyone paying that for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 12:28 by Boston Gooner.

Date: 03 August, 2020 12:54

Quote:
Boston Gooner
I hope they do if we're definitely not going to find a place for him. How much did we pay for him?

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 13:47

Quote:
goonerred
Quote:
Boston Gooner
I hope they do if we're definitely not going to find a place for him. How much did we pay for him?
6-12 mn at max. We will make a profit for sure as he has come a long way in spite of whatever his problems work arteta and a habit of holding on to the ball. He can physically boss the midfield when needed.

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 15:10

£40m is about right for Guendouzi. Can see lots of clubs paying that amount.

Date: 03 August, 2020 15:36

Willian reported to be in talks with Arsenal. No, no and no.

Date: 03 August, 2020 16:18

Quote:
goonerred
Willian reported to be in talks with Arsenal. No, no and no.

Don't know what to think about this one. At first glance, being the wrong side of 30, he seems to be the wrong profile.

But on the other hand he is undoubtedly a quality player and a consistent performer who still looks in good physical condition with lots of experience.

Overall I think this is probably a good deal. I think he adds another good option with plenty of experience in a position where we have lots of youth and potential but are lacking in consistency.

Date: 03 August, 2020 19:11

Willian definitely give you 2 or 3 seasons. Very rarely injured.
Obviously no sell on fee for him.
But if we can keep his wages reasonable think it could happen.

Posted by: djarse (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 16:29

In my order of preference, transfers in and out for next season:

1) Keep Aubameyang (obvs)

2) Thomas Partey (or someone with equivalent potential) as the anchor holding midfielder (first name on the team sheet etc role). Xhaka has improved a lot but we still need someone better.

3) Get Ozil off the books - Arteta to tell him straight he will not play any games for Arsenal ever again so will have to sit on his hands for a year and train on his own until and unless he gets a move somewhere, even if that means we still have to pay half his wages - that would still free up £150k a week to pay new transfers' wages

4) Bring in one more quality centre back - Gabriel Magalhaes from Lille sounds ideal - to partner Saliba or Mari as our core central defence team (backed up by Luiz, Mustafi, Holding)

5) One more loan year (with an option to buy at the end) for Ceballos. Had a very good post-lockdown period with us. Let's see if he can keep it up for another season. If he does, buy. If not, bye bye.

6) Bring in another creative player with a track record of assists/chances created - maybe Willian or preferably a younger alternative.

7) Sell, loan out ,or extend the current loans for: Sokratis, Kolasinac, Elneny, Mavropanos, Mikhtaryan, Guendouzi, Torreira, Chambers, plus Ozil - see above)

8) Make informed choices on which younger players realistically have any chance of making it and either bring one or two of them into the first team squad (as we have already done with Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah, Willock, Nelson, Smith-Rowe); or loan them out (Smith, Medley, Coyle, Osei-Tutu, Azeez) or sell (Balogun, Sheaf, Ballard etc).

9) If this Portuguese young winger Joelson Fernandes really is as highly regarded as some people claim, great then buy him and loan him straight back to Sporting Lisbon for a year (as we did with Saliba) to let him get regular first team experience there before he comes to us as a more fully formed player.

Date: 04 August, 2020 21:07

djarse mentioned him in his post.

According to France Bleu (via Sport Witness), Arsenal have emerged as favourites to sign Lille centre-back Gabriel Magalhães.

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 16:00

I think we should sell Leno and Lacazette to raise funds for a proper creative midfielder. Make Martinez starting keeper and Macey the backup. We have Martinelli who can tag team with Nketieh in the centre forward position.

Posted by: Gooner Sod (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 20:41

Quote:
mapleleafgooner
I think we should sell Leno and Lacazette to raise funds for a proper creative midfielder. Make Martinez starting keeper and Macey the backup. We have Martinelli who can tag team with Nketieh in the centre forward position.

Thats too risky. Martinelli wont even be back in training until Dec, then it takes at least a month to get back to fitness and decent level. So basically you're advocating playing half the season with Nketiah as the only striker. A guy who has not looked good enough to be a starter for Arsenal so far. Yes i know Auba can play there too, but he's clearly more effective as a wide forward on the left.

If we need money for a proper creative mid, then we can sell both Torreira and Guendouzi. Both are super young with long careers ahead of them so will fetch good money. Although personally i'd only sell one.

We can't sell Leno yet, that's just stupid. What if Martinez turns out to be a purple patch and loses form. We'd then have to reinvest in a keeper after taking so long to find a decent one. Having two top keepers next season is not a bad thing.

Also its about time the club shows ambition & invests in the team properly.Not always having to balance books and sell good players to fund other transfers.

''No one saw me coming - No problem. I always believed.
Kept working, found my killer instinct. Relentless? Yes. Patient? Always. Quick? You'll see.
I am Nico and I am here''

N. Pepe, Arsenal FC.

Date: 05 August, 2020 21:32

News coming from France is,
Arsenal have apparently convinced Gabriel Magalhaes to join them in a deal said to be worth €30m despite Manchester United’s attempts to get him to pick Old Trafford.

And he is not represented by Kia Joorabchian. 😂😂

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 21:35 by Boston Gooner.

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 21:35

Reports this evening that we were offered Coutinho but decided against signing him as we're about to sign Willian.

Works for me.

Not seen Gabriel playing first hand but on paper he looks good. Willian and Gabriel, then a central and another attacking/ creative midfielder would be good.

Date: 05 August, 2020 23:08

Quote:
MattySadler
Reports this evening that we were offered Coutinho but decided against signing him as we're about to sign Willian.
Works for me.

Not seen Gabriel playing first hand but on paper he looks good. Willian and Gabriel, then a central and another attacking/ creative midfielder would be good.

Agree that works. Not convinced about Coutinho. We'd be gambling on him finding form again after 3 years of injuries and inconsistency. He's another luxury player. Maybe it happens on the last day of the window if we can find a club that Ozil is willing to go to on loan, but that seems unlikely.

If we don't sign a creative midfielder, I'd be happy to give Smith Rowe the opportunity.

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 06:27

If its a choice between Coutinho or Willian I'd personally Willian.

For a start I think he's a better player anyway, but he is coming from a much, much, much better place from a form and fitness perspective, and vitally we also wouldn't be committing massive money on a loan. I've read around £9 million loan fee plus at least half of his wages.

I think ESR should be kept in-and-around the first team until at least January regardless. With Europa League and League Cup games we need the likes of him, Willock, Nelson and Nketiah. Then in January we can reevaluate whether they need minutes out on loan.

Date: 06 August, 2020 06:49

Quote:
SuperRob
Quote:
MattySadler
Works for me.

Agree that works. Not convinced about Coutinho. We'd be gambling on him finding form again after 3 years of injuries and inconsistency. He's another luxury player. Maybe it happens on the last day of the window if we can find a club that Ozil is willing to go to on loan, but that seems unlikely.

If we don't sign a creative midfielder, I'd be happy to give Smith Rowe the opportunity.

Happy with that.
Said on another thread we wouldn't be getting Coutinho.
To much of a costly risk to take the form he has been in.
Willian we all no what he can do and is up and running.
Interestingly I was reading the other day that Willian ran Gabriel ragged when they played in C/League.

Some moaning that this will block the progress of Bukayo Saka, Reiss Nelson and Gabriel Martinelli.
In a way the pressure will be off them.
They will still get game time.
And after Willian is finished they will be more than ready to step up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2020 07:00 by Boston Gooner.

Current Page: 1 of 10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net