Current Page: 1 of 4
Willian
Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 21:57

Could some of you enlightened posters please explain to me, as to why are we are in for Willian?
Well at least the media keep telling me he's coming to us, but I can't see any reason we would want him.
He has been an excellent right winger for the Chavs, but we spent a club record getting Pepe to do the exact same job.
Am I missing something?

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2020 22:25 by weedz.

Re: Willian
Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 22:36

He’s a Kia player so easier to do. If it was 3 years ago it would’ve been a great deal but not now although he’s still decent.

Perhaps it’s a case of you take Willian and I’ll make sure you get the kid from Sporting Lisbon

Posted by: Gunnersingh1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 00:21

I don't want him. Don't get me wrong he's a very good player but we need someone younger.

Why not go for Diaby, he's a flying machine!

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 05:45

Will be surprised if this one goes through. If it does, then reis is as good as sold.

Don't think he is coming, kia just using us to get a better deal at Chelsea /elsewhere

Posted by: blueamada (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 08:01

Age , wage and impeding the progress of young talent ....for me the signing is unwarranted. Defence needs prioritizing over attacking midfielders/wingers.

Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 08:10

I read that Chelsea wanted to keep Willian, but he won't sign, why is that I wonder? Has he had a major falling out or does he think his wages will be higher at Arsenal if he leaves Chelsea on a free? He's 32 on the 9th, let's get younger in, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2020 11:32 by goonerred.

Posted by: weedz (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 10:08

Quote:
goonerred
I read that Chelsea wanted to keep Willian, but he won't sign, why is that I wonder? Has he had a major falling out or does he think his wages will be higher at Aursenal if he leaves Chelsea on a free? He's 32 on the 9th, let's get younger in, please.

Ive read that Chelsea offered him a 2 yr contract, he wanted 3 yrs and Chelsea weren't keen.

Oh, and Thankyou all for the enlightenment

Self sustainable is a word that rich people with short arms and deep pockets use.

Posted by: Flava (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:05

He was brilliant when in the Black Eyed Peas

Posted by: goonerred (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:11

Quote:
Flava
He was brilliant when in the Black Eyed Peas
Black -Eyed Peas were rubbish at Glastonbury 2004. Shame, because they are good. Even an ardent fan who we spoke to said they weren't very good that day.

Anyway, totally (Sm158)

Posted by: SuperRob (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 16:29

We need some depth in the forward positions and he'll be cheaper than any half decent 25 year old. Despite not really being happy with the origins of this transfer and the feeling that we're getting all the chelsea over 30's, on this occasion I do think Willian will be a good signing.

For comparison, Iwobi is going to cost everton at least £50m for 3 years. Willian is better, more experienced and more consistent who will cost us less giving us more money to spend on the 2 big signings we need - a centre back and a centre midfielder. If our transfer window ends up with us signing Partey, Gabriel, Joelson and Willian then that will be a decent window and no one will be talking about Willian anymore.

Posted by: BootyDaddy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 17:57

Because we are a retirement home for old Chelsea players.

Albert Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 18:43

I think Willian is a good player but in terms of his age and wages it just isn't the profile I want us to be targeting, personally.

Last summer felt like we had turned a corner in terms of our transfer policy somewhat. Martinelli, Saliba, Ceballos, Pepe and Tierney. That's a good window - two really exciting teenagers and three somewhat more established players in their early 20s. Luiz didn't fit that, but I totally understand it in that instance because it was a cheap way of replacing the experience we lost in Koscielny. Unbeatable on his day as well.

Since then though, Cedric, Mari, Willian? Doesn't excite me as much.

So is it because we have a fairly younger squad? The profiles of players we're being linked with might say that the club believes in the potential of ESR, Nketiah, Nelson, Willock, etc, to make it here and save us a lot of money.

Having said all of that, if he is actually a top target Arteta has identified, then I trust him. If bringing in Willian for no transfer fee means we have the money for one or two central/ creative midfielders and a centre back... great. Just seems like we're doing an agent favours though...

Posted by: MattySadler (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 19:07

Arteta spoke about a need for more creativity in the team.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EelevQgXgAU1TtT?format=jpg&name=small

Ignoring all the obviously unobtainable ones in that list, Willian is probably the best bet from that lot financially. He'd cost large wages and a big signing on fee, whereas the others would be fairly large wages, a signing on fee AND a large transfer fee.

Posted by: Boston Gooner (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 20:57

Think it would be good business by us and good for the team.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtJGMW0K/roastspurs.gif

Date: 04 August, 2020 21:17

We would have a decent right winger then.

Posted by: AJ The Gunner (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 11:16

Quote:
BootyDaddy
Because we are a retirement home for old Chelsea players.

😂😂😂

Wenger Is Gone Now So Can We Be Allowed To Breathe Now???

Posted by: mapleleafgooner (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 15:34

Raul has outsourced his job to Kia. And Edu is more comfortable assessing players who speak Portuguese.

Date: 05 August, 2020 16:23

Willian is a better player than Pepe at this time.

Posted by: CazOnARola (IP Logged)
Date: 05 August, 2020 17:12

Quote:
Boston Gooner
Agreed. Age and wages are the concerns for me not the quality of the player.

Date: 05 August, 2020 17:57

Quote:
CazOnARola
Quote:
Boston Gooner
Agreed. Age and wages are the concerns for me not the quality of the player.

Caz agree about age and wages.
Still think he's good for 2 or 3 seasons though.
He seems to look after himself and physically he's in good shape.
And he's a player who seems to not pick up injuries.
Of course that could all change.

Wage wise he will and has been offered more at other clubs.
Seems family and him are happy in London.
Think he will accept what we offer.
He wants that 3 season offer

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net