Current Page: 1 of 3
Newport County v Tranmere
Posted by: Rovers90 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 14:45

So it’s Wednesday.... not long to go how are we all feeling? Nervous? Excitement?

How do you think the game will go on Saturday?

For us to have a chance in my view we need to keep Jamille Matt & Pádraig Amond quiet, our defending at set pieces and the additional long throws from Mickey Demetriou need to be spot on. Looking at highlights from the Mansfield game this caused the Stags a fair few issues.

What is everyone else’s views?

Re: Newport County v Tranmere
Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 15:38

as it stands I think it is to close to call. 1 goal either way. our ex player joss Labadie has been passed fit to play for Newport on Saturday. I think you are correct- if we keep amond and matt quiet plus dolan we will win. going back to the mid 1970s - the last 10 times we have played Newport county we have won 4 and lost 3. I will go for a 2-1 win for Tranmere with james Norwood getting the winning goal.

Posted by: Wozza (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 16:43

2-0 rovers Perkins Jennings you heard it here first

Posted by: TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 17:27

If Labadie's playing he may get a rush of blood and get sent off after 47 seconds...

...nah, that could never happen in a Wembley final(Sm14)

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 17:31

I have no view on any possible result. League form means nothing. In terms of playoff finals we seem to loose one win one so history would say it’s not our year. But Play off finals are a totally unpredictable game, even just to look at the two of us being in the final could bring a fair argument from neutrals that neither of us deserve it having finished lowest in the league. It’s imperative we stay solid for the first 20 minutes and then not play ourselves out of the game in the remainder of the half, even if we go one down. I just hope the lads picked for the team don’t let the occasion pass them by and come Monday evening whatever the result can look back knowing they gave it everything. We have good experience in the side to draw upon from the last year in Davies, Ridehlagh, Manny, Harris, Connor and Nors but Newport are an excellent cup side who have had some excellent recent cup runs and Man City’s 4-1 flattered City.

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 18:25

Before the playoffs I predicted a narrow home win in the first leg of the semi, a draw in the away leg and defeat at Wembley. Don't think I've ever got three predictions in a row right so I'd best stick with that!

Haven't seen Newport this season but I believe they're a bit hoofball. They do have a good cup record too, always handy for a one off game. It'll be tough but it's very winnable.

Just wonder, though, if adrenalin might make the difference. We've got the Wembley experience but the last two years have been must-win games with the club's future riding on it. This time there's less pressure and the novelty has worn off, but with it being Newport's first playoff final it might just give them that extra 1% that only adrenalin can bring out of a team. I've no doubt our lads will be well prepared and will give everything but sometimes it can come down to those fine margins. Or I might just be talking through my hat!

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 19:39

We're gonna win - simple . When is my glass ever half empty ?!?! smiling smiley

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 22:07

Quote:
TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
If Labadie's playing he may get a rush of blood and get sent off after 47 seconds...

...nah, that could never happen in a Wembley final(Sm14)
Liked him when he was our player but to be honest I hope he doesn't dive for the winning penalty because he does have form

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2019 22:08

btw Twelth are you coming to Wembley

Posted by: mill park white (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 07:53

Very confident in a comfortable 3-0 win for SWA as long as we play keep ball and don't get sucked into a hoofing contest.

Posted by: Kentexile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 08:13

Nervous and excited sums it up pretty well. This week is crawling by so slowly.

Any views on the line-up? Will he make any tactical changes to throw off for the element of surprise, like Pringle in and back to 4-4-1-1? My guess is no, and he will go for the exact same starting 11 and bench as the 2nd leg at FGR.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 08:52

Quote:
mill park white
Very confident in a comfortable 3-0 win for SWA as long as we play keep ball and don't get sucked into a hoofing contest.

Really hope you are right but I can’t see that personally, they have done really well against us this season in both games, restricting out passing style of play, closing down the space and really nullified is in both games coming out 0-1 and 0-0. I think we are destined for extra time on saturday

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 09:00

Did you notice my reverse psychology for the semi -finals doom and gloom everywhere but we won ,so 2-1 to Newport

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 09:23

Against a strong Manchester City Newport played really well and certainly nothing like hoof all as has been described here. In the second leg against Mansfield they also showed that they are an energetic and attacking side. We can win but we will need to play at our best for they are no push over.

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 09:38

Yes spot on Devon ,I had Mansfield down as eventual winners but Newport done a job on them ,they are a really good side and an excellent manager the players want to play for him I really hope it does not go to penalties

Posted by: Beamish Screamer (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 11:29

Hopefully not the dreaded penalty's. Who would be our first five? Possibly Norwood, Jennings, Manny, Banks and Perkins? Or perhaps as Captain, Davies would take one

Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 11:37

1-1 penos lose

Posted by: spralos baldini (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 12:27

Sorry, but I've got us down to lose 2-1. They are playing well, they played well against the Champions of England, they played batter than us twice - when we played them - and being a Rovers supporter I'm not used to celebrating two seasons in a row!

Posted by: gary anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 12:29

I agree they are a decent side but then so are we .in a final most times form counts for nothing so though I admit it could go either way I am going for a 2.1 win for rovers .cmon lads have faith be positive we can do this

Posted by: spralos baldini (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2019 12:34

Quote:
gary anderson
I agree they are a decent side but then so are we .in a final most times form counts for nothing so though I admit it could go either way I am going for a 2.1 win for rovers .cmon lads have faith be positive we can do this
You've inspired me, GA, I've change my mind. I'll go for 2-0 win! SWA - probably change my mind again tomorrow, then Saturday morning, then half hour to KO, then 10 mins to KO, then 5 mins to KO and then again 5 mintues nin to the game.(Sm124)

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net