Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Newport v Tranmere - Match Thread
Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 20:11

I thought MM had lost the plot fetching Macnulty on ,but he was brilliant took charge and issued orders .man of the match was Connor Jennings ,he is my favourite player does not always get the praise he deserves .what a day .the club ,players, fans credit to the club .really made up for Mark and Nicola

Posted by: BELMONT (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 20:53

Quote:
BELMONT
What a time to give yes we've done it

I was going to type What a time to give away afree kick but the ref blew the whistle 😀

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/05/2019 23:07 by BELMONT.

Posted by: ming05 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 21:04

Goes to show why I am not a football manager, I was saucy through whole 2nd half connor needs to be subbed as was having bit of a stinker.

Posted by: Shaumbra (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 21:18

Quote:
bumhobo33
Tranmere shirt on in Michigan, USA. Come on boys! 2-1 rovers

(Sm152)(Sm128)

Posted by: mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 21:32

Hands up who thought Steve would be brought on for a non injury induced sub. With the scores level?

Hands up if you could go though what Connor went through before the last two finals and still perform like that?

These boys and the manager are different class.

And the Palioses (Paliosi?) are too beautiful for words

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 22:04

Quote:
Wozza
who’d have thought when we where relegated from league 1 we’d be back so quickly

To be honest, I think many thought it would happen quicker, because I think many thought Tranmere in league 2 were a good enough sized club to assemble a promotion challenging squad and if Tranmere had actually bounced back from league 2 within 2 seasons, I don't think many would have done a double take at the reality of it.

Great season and result though and Norwood bollicking Perkins for not playing it stright though when he'd pinged it out wide, I think he might have possibly gone tonto in his face.

I admit though I agree with the Buxton sub, I think he was brought on to bolster up the penalty shootout if it went that far.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Posted by: Cybertron (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 22:05

Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I thought MM had lost the plot fetching Macnulty on ,but he was brilliant took charge and issued orders .man of the match was Connor Jennings ,he is my favourite player does not always get the praise he deserves .what a day .the club ,players, fans credit to the club .really made up for Mark and Nicola
I must admit that bringing on Steve did raise a few eyebrows around me, but it was an inspired substitution, and what was needed, Manny and Sid had done well, but it was evident that they needed just that touch of experience to steady things a little, it was a brave decision though, and why he is the manager and we are not. In Mickey we trust !

Posted by: Aussiepete (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 22:39

Yes! Yes! Yes! We did it division 1 here we come. What a nailbiter I couldn't go through too many games like that at my age. I have to strongly disagree with dnors though in regards to the referee. I thought he handled the game really well and another referee could easily have given them two penalties (Caprice handball and Manny's tackle in the box). Conner's goal couldn't have come at a better time, although the last few minutes were nerve wracking. Well done the lads and hopefully we might be over there for the first month of next season.

Posted by: TRSince1968 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2019 23:45

[twohundredpercent.net]

the author has put a lot of effort into this. i am impressed. includes a brief match report.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 00:00

Micky won the game today his substitutions were absolutely brilliant he read the game like a book and changed the team accordingly, Steeeeve was a great change had there 11 in his pocket who bossed the aerial game til that point, Pringle gave us more on the ball although I was thinking Morris would be scarified for him and Buxtons cool head created that little bit of space in the corner!!!

Date: 26 May, 2019 00:07

Norwoods Instagram page is epic again.

All the players singing on the coach home.

They've changed the words of the jennings song. It now goes "we signed him from Wrexham, he scores goals at Wembley..."

Posted by: Phil65 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 01:05

Well, that was never in doubt......!
Just as I could hear the faint murmurs of "Fairytale of New Port", follow up to the Pogues classic, as they tried to replicate our achievement of last year with ten men, up pops Connor to scratch that record!
This hugging random strangers is becoming a habit!
Thanks to everyone upstairs on the rave coach who added to a memorable experience (not that some of you will remember it!).
Whatever happens today, tomorrow, next week...it don't matter a jot because we're League One!
HKR, Pete SF and anyone else who travelled from the four corners of the globe (including the Wirral!) glad it all worked out well for you!
Cheers everyone, enjoy!
Tequila!

Posted by: rover87 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 01:23

Steve mcnulty was exactly what we needed at the time we signed him hes took a lot of stick in his time but to b fair every national league game i watched it was hard to argue against him being our best player fair play to him thought he was brilliant when he came on and hope hes kept on in some capacity get In Rovers SWA

Posted by: pez (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 02:04

Player coach role maybe?

He's got a very good footballing brain and there's no doubt he's been a great defender in his day.

Be great to pass on his vast experience,especially to some of the younger players in the squad.

Manny has been fantastic this season and you can see how much he has developed since his arrival. How much of that is down to McNulty is anyone's guess, but I'm sure he's passed on something.

Date: 26 May, 2019 07:01

Quote:
rover87
Steve mcnulty was exactly what we needed at the time we signed him hes took a lot of stick in his time but to b fair every national league game i watched it was hard to argue against him being our best player fair play to him thought he was brilliant when he came on and hope hes kept on in some capacity get In Rovers SWA

My understanding he was a offered a deal and has rejected it

Posted by: Gunslinger (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 07:48

Too late to bed yesterday and too emotionally drained this morning to write at length but a titanic effort by all our lads yesterday. So very proud to be a Rovers fan. Scotty keeping us in the game, Manny and Sid (and Steve) solid as a rock, Perkins keeping it tight, Pringle (yes Pringle) getting into some excellent positions, Nors being Nors and a sublime finish by Connor sending the keeper the wrong way. But hats off to Mickey once again. My heart sank when I saw that Steve was about to come on. But he was just absolute class. Today's not the day to talk about contracts. Let's just enjoy the moment. Thank you Mickey. Thank you Mark and Nicola. You've given us our club back again...

Date: 26 May, 2019 07:52

[youtu.be]

Vlog from the Newport end about 15 mins long but worth it for there absolute silence when Connor scores!

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 08:15

What yesterday demonstrated was the difference between being an arm chair manager and the real thing. Like most others my heart sank when McNulty came on but it was so much the right move.It is two successive finals where Mellon has called the substitutions absolutely right.It is also two successive seasons where he has tweaked a squad in mid season to transform prospects.Ours is not an exceptional squad but he has made the best use of resources and built a culture of commitment. He has improved players that looked ordinary and this was exemplified yesterday by the performance of Caprice.
We may struggle in Div 1 but the test of support in that case will be to stand by the the team and to recognise that good managers do not become bad just because the task is harder

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2019 10:39

Quote:
Tom Bombadil
I think that Buxton came on with penno's in mind. Newport made a massive mistake when in the build up to the goal that they didn't realise Buxton is also quite a good footballer. His cut inside ended up with the Perkins Caprice combo for Connors goal.
Cheers Bukko.
It was Pringle , Caprice and Buxton .

Date: 26 May, 2019 10:45

Quote:
DevonExile
What yesterday demonstrated was the difference between being an arm chair manager and the real thing. Like most others my heart sank when McNulty came on but it was so much the right move.It is two successive finals where Mellon has called the substitutions absolutely right.It is also two successive seasons where he has tweaked a squad in mid season to transform prospects.Ours is not an exceptional squad but he has made the best use of resources and built a culture of commitment. He has improved players that looked ordinary and this was exemplified yesterday by the performance of Caprice.
We may struggle in Div 1 but the test of support in that case will be to stand by the the team and to recognise that good managers do not become bad just because the task is harder

Yes his substitutions in both finals were incredible.

A man who just understands the game on a different level to the rest of us.

Current Page: 3 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net