Current Page: 1 of 2
Who are these 3 classic rock bands?
Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 16:58

1. If we beat Southend tonight then I hope that we don't get ourselves a BAD REPUTATION when we are seen DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT and drinking WHISKY IN THE JAR down the TOUGHEST STREET IN TOWN.

2. If we draw with Southend tonight then things won't particularly be ALRIGHT NOW, we may need a trip to the WISHING WELL in the morning and it could well be a long old season where we will have to go through FIRE AND WATER to avoid relegation.

3. If we lose to Southend tonight then we will be feeling ROCK BOTTOM, our hopes of avoiding the drop could be LONG GONE and it's immediately home after the match, ignoring the missus when we get in, straight off to bed and LIGHTS OUT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2019 17:09 by hong kong rover.

Re: Who are these 3 classic rock bands?
Posted by: ElvisTRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 17:16

Terence Trent D'arby. Thin Lizzy. UFO.

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 17:22

Dunno why but is the first Metallica?

Edit: can’t be. So disregard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2019 17:23 by rossb07.

Posted by: Dan SWA (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 17:26

Jedwood,Bananarama and The Thompson Twins!

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 17:40

The one you are missing is Free. At least according to my brother, Jake it is.

Posted by: ElvisTRFC (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 18:07

Free.
Thin Lizzy
UFO

Date: 18 October, 2019 18:09

well done chaps..

1. Thin Lizzy
2. Free
3. UFO

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 23:42

Best Southend band Doctor Feelgood

Posted by: Hoots Mon (IP Logged)
Date: 18 October, 2019 23:54

Quote:
kennyspint

Not forgetting the Kursaal Flyers.

Posted by: kennyspint (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 00:12

Not sure if their Southend but Brinsley Schwartz and Ducks Deluxe. Not classic but Pub Rock was very 70 s

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 08:49

Quote:
kennyspint
Great band , seen them number of times . Remember seeing them early 80's at Mountford Hall with Lee Brilleux and The Big Figure on drums . They're on the Neptune soon but don't know if there's any original members left .

Date: 19 October, 2019 08:55

Dr Feelgood, great band,,Another good band from down that way and from that era were Nine Below Zero..

Posted by: coltran (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 09:17

Procul Harem of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" fame are also from Southend.

Posted by: Uglybob (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 09:19

Quote:
hong kong rover
Dr Feelgood, great band,,Another good band from down that way and from that era were Nine Below Zero..
Yep HKR , another great band . First saw them at Reading on 1980 when the 3 headliners were Rory Gallagher , UFO and Whitesnake . Great , great days !

Date: 19 October, 2019 09:42

Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
hong kong rover
Yep HKR , another great band . First saw them at Reading on 1980 when the 3 headliners were Rory Gallagher , UFO and Whitesnake . Great , great days !

nice one Bob, I first saw Rory in about 81/82 in Liverpool, he did a non promotional tour around the UK playing at the major universities and polytechnics and he called it is 'University Challenge Tour.'..Superb live performer..I only went to the Reading festival the once in 1983 and saw Lizzy's last ever UK appearance when they headlined the festival on the final day..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2019 09:44 by hong kong rover.

Date: 19 October, 2019 09:56

Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
kennyspint
Great band , seen them number of times . Remember seeing them early 80's at Mountford Hall with Lee Brilleux and The Big Figure on drums . They're on the Neptune soon but don't know if there's any original members left .
Pretty sure there isn't. Only time I saw them was late 80s era at The Tivoli in Buckley. Still good though.

Date: 19 October, 2019 10:02

keep on Rockin' chaps! Long live Rock n Roll and long live the Rovers!

Date: 19 October, 2019 10:24

Rock bands quiz...the following list is the former pre-fame names of all time legendary bands, who were they..?

1. Earth
2. Soft White Underbelly
3. Café Racers
4. The Quarrymen
5. Smile
6. One Percent
7. Hollywood Rose

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/10/2019 10:27 by hong kong rover.

Date: 19 October, 2019 13:33

Quote:
hong kong rover
Rock bands quiz...the following list is the former pre-fame names of all time legendary bands, who were they..?
1. Earth
2. Soft White Underbelly
3. Café Racers
4. The Quarrymen
5. Smile
6. One Percent
7. Hollywood Rose
Earth becameSabbath, Soft White Underbelly became BOC, Quarrymen I'd imagine most know became The Beatles and Smile became Queen. At a guess Hollywood Rose would be Guns n Roses. Not sure on others, though I seem to remember that Cafe Racer name.

Posted by: Matt34 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 October, 2019 15:04

Smile were a diffefent group though. Tim Staffurth left and eventually moved on from music to model making and worked on Thomas the Tank engine. 2/3 of smile became Queen, but I'm 99% certain Queen did not evolve from Smile, unlike Uriah Heep evolving from Spice simply down to adding an organ player and changing the name.

Black Sabbath changed their name because they got booked under the name Earth to play at a wedding reception and did not realise a jazzy outfit called Earth also existed, so they were forced to play some of the old bluesy things, they would have rolled out as Polka Tulk Blues Band, because demonic heavy stuff isn't something for the bride and groom to dance to.

Tony Iommi realised they had to change their name to avoid that mistake again.

As for pre-fame names, I think Ten Years After were briefly known as Gift, although a 70's band from Germany did exist called Gift, a few years after TYA started.

Deep Purple were briefly known as Roundabout.

XTC were known as Star Park and even some other name before that which I cannot recall offhand.

The Beatles did have several pre-Beatles names including the Silver Beatles and johnny And The Moon Dogs.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net