Current Page: 1 of 2
aaron chapman - new loan goalkeeper
Posted by: the baldy one (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 14:16

I see we have signed a new loan goalkeeper from Peterborough united - aaron chapman. he is 29 years old and once when he was playing for Bristol rovers he scored a penalty in a penalty shootout. also a few years ago he won the golden gloves trophy for having the most clean sheets in a season. so he comes highly rated.

Re: aaron chapman - new loan goalkeeper
Posted by: the kav (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 14:46

If I was pilling I would be off

Posted by: TimmySoft (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 14:50

He’s about 6’5” if it’s the guy I’m thinking of!

Posted by: hong kong rover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 15:02

Who can remember that keeper we had a few seasons back, Jason Mooney? He was about 6 ft 8"

Posted by: paulbyron (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 15:58

nothing down for luke I,m afraid

Posted by: Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 16:46

Quote:
hong kong rover
Who can remember that keeper we had a few seasons back, Jason Mooney? He was about 6 ft 8"

Even earlier ... who remembers David Johnson? He was our reserve keeper in the 1970s, not to be confused with Dickie Johnson.

David Johnson played one game for the 1st team, he was about 6ft 7ins.

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 17:13

Its not Luke Pilling who should he asking questions its Mark Palios and his question should be, Why on earth have we got 4 goalies if 3 of them aren't good enough to even be considered back ups to our number 1. Total waste of funds, release all bar Davies and recruit a credible challenger for Scotty. There is no competition for places in this squad despite the swathes of players on out books.

Posted by: sparky100 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 17:23

Luke must be increadibly frustrated and @#$%& off! If he has the ambition to start in goal then unfortunately it's not going to be at Tranmere and if he asked for a move he would have my full support. I have always been impressed with him on his few starts or sub appearances and his distribution of the ball is far better than Scotties as he proved last week against Accington. The new guy I see is with us for one week at the moment! Not sure what to make of that!!!

Posted by: Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 17:32

Spot on sparky ,always liked Pilling ,give the lad a chance .Mellon has never been keen on the youngsters ,none get a chance

Posted by: Uptonrover (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 17:43

Thing is we cant afford to have two first team quality goalkeepers in our financial situation. Basically dead money sitting on the bench. Luke (or whatever young backup we have) gives us someone we can use in a game emergency BUT also doesnt (i presume) break the financial structure. That said id be annoyed if i was Pilling after last weeks performance. How are you ment to become an experienced player if you dont play??

Date: 14 December, 2019 18:28

Yes but we have to start breaking our financial structure, theres no point having the cheapest flights to Tenerife if the planes land in Alicante! If we strip our squad down to half the size we can have the same budget and pay twice as much for the players.

Posted by: Elvis (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 18:38

pretty sure Davies is a top earner. And at 2 clean sheets, he's overpaid

Date: 14 December, 2019 18:41

Id argue other areas of the team are a priority other than having two first team ready goalkeepers in our financial situation

Date: 14 December, 2019 18:47

Quote:
Uptonrover
Id argue other areas of the team are a priority other than having two first team ready goalkeepers in our financial situation

Yes, i was just raising a point in general about our squad structure, same is reflected across all areas, 10 midfield players and 9 forwards for example have 5 and 3 better ones.

Posted by: Elvis (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 19:00

And I'd probably argue that Davies (32) wages would fund 2 very sound defenders. And that's just for starters. If Davies is key to the club's future, I shouldn't think I understand where we are headed. Alas, it's probably pointless my having this discussion. Everything looks to be very short-sighted. And even if relegation were avoided, where does this leave us next season? To quote Maynard Keynes, "The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping old ones" I don't think we've ran the ship ashore just yet, but carrying on like this for much longer and we will be left high and dry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2019 21:26 by ElvisTRFC.

Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 19:09

Quote:
Uptonrover
Thing is we cant afford to have two first team quality goalkeepers in our financial situation. Basically dead money sitting on the bench. Luke (or whatever young backup we have) gives us someone we can use in a game emergency BUT also doesnt (i presume) break the financial structure. That said id be annoyed if i was Pilling after last weeks performance. How are you ment to become an experienced player if you dont play??
By putting Pilling, as a home grown player, on the bench it fulfills the criteria that allows the club to have 7 subs. He was resigned for no other reason as he's cheap and frees up a spot on the bench. They are happy with him in a squeeze off the bench in case of an injury but not getting major playing time.

Date: 14 December, 2019 19:28

Quote:
ElvisTRFC
And I'd probably argue that Davies (32) wages would fund 2 very sound defenders. And that's just for starters. If Davies is key to the club's future. I shouldn't think I understand where we are headed. Alas, it's probably pointless my having this discussion. Everything looks to be very short-sighted. And even if relegation were avoided, where does this leave us next season? To quote Maynard Keynes, "The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping old ones" I don't think we've ran the ship ashore just yet, but carrying on like this for much longer and we will be left high and dry

Very fair point

Posted by: rossb07 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 December, 2019 20:39

Only a fair point if you know what he’s being paid.

Date: 14 December, 2019 21:58

Id guess he is one of the top earners but id also guess that his wages split between two defenders of the calibre suggested wouldnt actually get us much, we are a financially poor third division club. We will not be paying mega bucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2019 22:20 by Uptonrover.

Date: 14 December, 2019 22:18

Quote:
Bored rover
Quote:
Uptonrover

Yes, i was just raising a point in general about our squad structure, same is reflected across all areas, 10 midfield players and 9 forwards for example have 5 and 3 better ones.

So if we play 4 in midfield and two upfront or whatever combination, not many left to be subs?

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net