Current Page: 1 of 2
An update from Chairman Mark Palios
Posted by: Shaumbra (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 13:20

[www.tranmererovers.co.uk]

[youtu.be]

“Physical reality is actually a mirror: Your physical reality is just a reflection of what you most strongly believe to be true. And like a mirror, physical reality will not change unless you change first”

Re: An update from Chairman Mark Palios
Posted by: Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 13:39

Saw it on Twitter but didn't watch. Was there anything important or just more of the same?

Posted by: Older blue (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:07

Thank God for a sensible chairman

Posted by: jonesy792 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:18

My response every time I watch a Palios update is thank God they’re running the club, and not impulsive fans with heads in the clouds.

Made every bit of sense as to why we need to be cautious around signing players.

Posted by: Hampshire White (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:38

As always, a very good talk, well worth a listen. 👍

Posted by: DevonExile (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 14:48

Quote:
jonesy792
My response every time I watch a Palios update is thank God they’re running the club, and not impulsive fans with heads in the clouds.
Made every bit of sense as to why we need to be cautious around signing players.
+1

Posted by: Tranman (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 15:16

Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
jonesy792
+1

+2

Posted by: JonnyL (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 16:17

Quote:
jonesy792

As many have pointed out that COVID has changed the footballing landscape we got relegated last season because our policy of investing partly in the summer and then again in January didn't have the time to have an effect before the season was curtailed and PPG showed we hadn't gathered enough points prior to January to stay up.

With the obvious risks attached that something similar may happen again this season do you not feel that we need to be ready to get points on the board at the start and not wait?

I also wonder what Palios knows that all the other chairman in L2 don't. We are one of only 4 clubs to have not started their business if the risks posed are so real as in the season not starting then why have most other clubs already started rebuilding? Again could the above point be in relation to this?

Posted by: Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 16:32

We already have a nucleus of 10-11 decent quality players. That in itself put us ahead of the curve compared to many L2 clubs at the start of summer. Most of the clubs signing players aren't pulling away from us, they're playing catch up with us.

It's only day 2 of pre season training and MP has said new signings will be coming in soon. All is under control.

Posted by: TRSince1968 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 16:51

Quote:
JonnyL
Quote:
jonesy792

As many have pointed out that COVID has changed the footballing landscape we got relegated last season because our policy of investing partly in the summer and then again in January didn't have the time to have an effect before the season was curtailed and PPG showed we hadn't gathered enough points prior to January to stay up.

With the obvious risks attached that something similar may happen again this season do you not feel that we need to be ready to get points on the board at the start and not wait?

I also wonder what Palios knows that all the other chairman in L2 don't. We are one of only 4 clubs to have not started their business if the risks posed are so real as in the season not starting then why have most other clubs already started rebuilding? Again could the above point be in relation to this?

It seems you didn't watch the video?

Posted by: gary anderson (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 18:02

Mp always gives a good interview makes sense every time always putting tranmere rovers firs .and that is the reason there will always be a tranmere rovers football club while this man is in charge .he won't ever put the club in a situation where we are in so much debt we face winding up orders and in and out if court like some .I can see a few going under this year but with MP as our chairman we won't be one of them

Posted by: JonnyL (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 18:40

Ok TRsince1968 I have watched the interview back and nowhere does Mr Palios mention the dangers of falling foul of PPG again should COVID end the season prematurely again. If he did mention this please point it out as I must have missed this.

I also asked about what he must know that others don't again I didn't hear anything that other owners wouldn't also know, so again if I got this wrong please point out where he states something that isn't already out there. He even mentioned he has been in meetings with other owners.

So did you read my original post?

Date: 04 August, 2020 19:19

We've all read your posts and you're fretting unnecessarily.

You seriously think we should spunk the season's budget in the summer in case covid comes along again and forces another PPG outcome? Because for some reason you think in previous seasons we weren't aiming to be ready and willing to get points on the board from the off? Palios hasn't mentioned it because it's too daft a strategy to contemplate. No club aims to do its entire season's transfer business in the summer window, and I doubt any are transitioning to such an approach now. And if covid does come along again I suspect PPG will be the least of our challenges.

As for your belief that Palios must know something nobody else knows - well, what do you want us to say to that? Fwiw I think you're mistaken in that belief, for the reasons touched on in my previous response.

Posted by: prentonpete1 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 19:35

I thought he told us everything and told us nothing.
Dawes has been here a week who is the goalkeeping coach and the science person nothing mentioned.

Date: 04 August, 2020 19:41

The way I see it all boils down to this.

The club has been run prudently but effectively by Palios since he walked in the door. Now is the worst possible time imagineable for him to be LESS prudent, regardless of what FGR, Mansfield and the other big spenders can (or think they can) afford.

But there's no reason to believe his prudence should make us any less effective in the short term. And, if anything, what he's doing now should make us even more effective in the medium to long term.

Posted by: EgoEgoEgo (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 19:46

MP is a smart guy who, IMHO, recognises these are uncharted times and the usual behaviours of the past seasons are not right for now. The shameless EFL bosses have a lot to answer for as do the majority of EFL clubs who voted for the easy way out. However, I’m sure MP will planning, as he said in the interview, to secure the future of our Team.

Date: 04 August, 2020 19:53

Quote:
prentonpete1
I thought he told us everything and told us nothing.
Dawes has been here a week who is the goalkeeping coach and the science person nothing mentioned.

What makes you say Dawes has been with us for a week?

I might be wrong but I thought he said Hodgen was still the science and fitness guy. Hope so because I thought he'd left with Mellon. He didn't name the goalie coach but I think he did mention the analyst and the physio by name. Think he said the physio was promoted from within.

Posted by: stek26 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 20:15

I just hope we don’t make underwhelming signings whenever we do sign players.

Poor summer recruitment has been a theme of the past couple of years, it may be a good thing that we have a new manager.

It can be seen as shrewd business not making signings given the circumstances, equally we could lose out on targets and end up in mid table mediocrity. Time will tell.

Seen the lad Gethin Jones signed for Bolton who was linked, I’m guessing our first signings will be Banks - fingers crossed, Perkins, Gilmour or Danns. Would be surprised if anyone else

Posted by: Bored rover (IP Logged)
Date: 04 August, 2020 20:19

Palios knows the finances and what they can afford and how they need to set the budget. I see we are advertising for pitch maintenance volunteers on match day, that doesn’t shout financially well off. We need to accept that we are a low budget club, if the best thing for the club is to hold off in signings and risk relegation than Palios will make that decision as I think we would all agree a club in the NL is better than no club in League 2.

Date: 04 August, 2020 20:27

Big difference between tightening our belts in a global crisis and being the league's paupers. We're definitely doing the former, we're definitely not the latter.

Palios has said promotion is the aim and there's no reason to believe otherwise. Talk of risking relegation is way off target.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net