Remembrance
Posted by: Hoopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 06:34

Briss fan here . Very moving Service before the game yesterday. Seeing the names of all those former players on the screen was very moving. Thankyou.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 12:14 by Jehovas Sandals.

Re: Remembrance
Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 08:09

While I have absolutely no problem with a remembrance event and remembering the fallen, I personally felt the need to do a public prayer completely unessisary.

While I do consider myself an Atheist, and understand that people are entitled to their beliefs. I don't want to see the beliefs of one group invoked in places and scenarios when its neither needed, nor justified.

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 11:32

You could just stand in silence Tom a Hawk like i do (i am not a believer too, well, i am but not in the traditional way). I find nothing wrong in people wanting to commune with their god and if people take solace from it then great. The remembrance day service has always been a christian based thing and i personally find no problem with it. In fact i find it quite moving.

You must remember TAH that Britain is basically a theism society with many different religions but the common factor is that they all pray/commune with one god so we i expect are in the minority here,but i still find nothing wrong with it.

I use the prayer time to remember the horrors these poor lads had to go through .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 11:33 by Toomanychiefs.

Posted by: Exeforever (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 12:10

The problem lies in our failure to divorce Church from State. whilst the head of state is also head of the Anglican church religion is going to permeate all state occasions. Given that, I believe, there are more practicing Muslims than Anglicans (the State Church) in Britain today (ie regular attenders at acts of worship) we have a pressing need, IMO, to separate out the civil from the religious; both to be fair to all non-Anglicans and to preserve the pluralist and secular democracy which we theoretically live under.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 12:12

I'm always respectful of a minutes silence and think on what those served and indeed serving men and woman face/faced.
I'm not religious in the sense that I pray to a god or visit a place of worship but also have no issue with folk that do...... However I don't think it's neccasary for the prayers at a Rugby Stadium.
The Clubs choice as was it there choice to mark Maggie Thatchers passing with a minutes silence which many disagreed with but again was observed respectfully.
Differing opinions..... But that's human nature.

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: clalan (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 16:42

This is a Christian country, but being free you can follow any religion you wish, unlike other countries.
I thought it was done very well on Sunday, and religious or not respecting other people beliefs when they do not harm you is the correct course.
Lets not make mountains out of Molehills, and see it for what it was, a time to remember and respect their sacrifice for us to speak freely today.

Posted by: Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
Date: 11 November, 2019 22:28

Quote:
Toomanychiefs
You could just stand in silence Tom a Hawk like i do (i am not a believer too, well, i am but not in the traditional way). I find nothing wrong in people wanting to commune with their god and if people take solace from it then great. The remembrance day service has always been a christian based thing and i personally find no problem with it. In fact i find it quite moving.
You must remember TAH that Britain is basically a theism society with many different religions but the common factor is that they all pray/commune with one god so we i expect are in the minority here,but i still find nothing wrong with it.

I use the prayer time to remember the horrors these poor lads had to go through .

I did stand in silence and considered the role the troops our the brave heroes played, As I said I have no problem with people believing in their belief of choice, my objection is simply that I don't consider it an appropriate time or place for a prayer. Had they simply read a poem for the troops or made a speech honoring them that would have been fine.

I am very aware of theism's role within this country history and Christianity's role within this country going back to even the foundations of what would become England under the Anglo-Saxon and also very pious Kings of Anglo-Saxon Britain, mainly Alfred the Great of Wessex, Edward the Elder along with the first actual King of the English King Athelstan who essentially united the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom's for the first time creating England as a specifically Christian kingdom... A fascinating period of our history... however, this is history and I would point out that recent studies here in the UK have shown that those who identify as either having no belief in god/gods do actually for the first time ever actually now outnumber those who do.

[www.theguardian.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net