Current Page: 1 of 2
Warriors
Posted by: Zyder head (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 15:47

Anybody know which copy of the law book Romain Poite is working from?!
Forward passes,hands on the floor, headshots via an elbow all allowed apparently?
All of this and we are still level....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2020 15:48 by Zyder head.

Re: Warriors
Posted by: Lowerwatha (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 16:13

Agree ZH, he doesn’t even know which end of the pitch the big screen is.
I would love to know what the TMO said about the No.7’s tackle but my O Level French (failed) let me down again!

Posted by: Heaf (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 16:14

How can a deliberate elbow to the side of the head not be a red?

Date: 11 January, 2020 16:52

It is a great game to watch but must be absolutely infuriating for the players with this standard of officiating at this level of rugby.
It shouldn't come as a surprise though as we have been in this situation before with French officials in an important match at Scotstoun......

Date: 11 January, 2020 17:17

Giving Chiefs free kicks for line out infringements seemed to fire them up. Hugh Jones mullered two tries but there disallowed try was clearly forward, Hastings was a meter behind the 22 when he threw the pass and the receiver had to stretch over the 22 to catch the ball.
Agree the standard of the officiating was poor!

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 17:58

A good hard-fought three points in the end. Only the matter of centimetres between the draw and a win. Looking at the pools if we had won we would be in prime position to take a top two rankling meaning if we win our quarter final we could have got a home semi too. We will probably need to win next week with a bonus point and need Leinster or Toulouse to drop points next week.

I thought Kirsten was superb today. Tackled strongly and made a lot of big carries. I hope we are keeping him despite signing Jonny Gray.

I have to say that I thought we were outplayed in the midfield today. Hastings-Johnson-Jones caused us a lot of trouble.. a few missed passes and tackles from our centres. Although Simmonds tackled and kicked well, as ever, and didn’t look out of place as a captain.

Selection for the back row is getting increasingly tough. Kvesic played really well and grabbed two tries and we should expect Armand and Simmonds to be back competing for a shirt next week.

Posted by: Ex58 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 18:45

Semifinals are on a neutral ground I think you will find. In the highest ranked team country.

Posted by: East_Stand_Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 19:04

Quote:
Ex58
Semifinals are on a neutral ground I think you will find. In the highest ranked team country.

Tell that to whoever plays Leinster at Landsdowne Road (a neutral venue despite them using it for several big games throughout the season!). Hard to guess where an Exeter ‘home’ semi would be though - Bath, Bristol, Gloucester all too small, Twickenham too big. Possibly Coventry...

I really enjoyed today’s game. Both sides can probably feel hard disappointed. Cully should definitely have seen red for us (and will probably get cited and miss the 6N period), while I think Poite’s interpretations at scrum time and breakdown were harsh on Glasgow. Not to mention iffy passes, clear knock on when stopping the penalty going out and Huw Jones’ inability to pick up the ball!

All in all, probably a fair result. Have to say that we were all bricking it at the end - we all know from experience that with the wind at his back Hogg has that sort of kick in him!

Hopefully we’ll get 5 points at Sale next week and go through as 8th seed (and play Leinster away....).

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Currychief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 19:35

I think we will qualify as second seeds.

My biggest downer today was when my daughter watched the last 5 minutes and asked if our team colour was because we were sponsored by Febreeze!

Posted by: Ex58 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 19:38

Yes I agree the only club that always play there semifinals in a home stadium

Posted by: andy15 (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 20:38

For all the changes and short turnaround I thought that was 3 points hard won and probably a fair result - well played to all in difficult conditions and on a plastic pitch not our favoured surface.

Yes they blew a couple of opportunities and a bad bounce here and there but benefitted from a very poor call by Poite - a red card under any measure. Not his only interesting call !

Special mention to Lonsdale Kev and Vermeulen v good but for me Kirsten was first class and my mom, please give him a new contract !!
Joe led the team well and looks a future long term captain.

Let’s hope no injuries and the illness clears up as next week Is probably our biggest game of the season to date as a home quarter will be fab for club finances and us spectators.

Posted by: chief in exile (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 21:32

With Francis, Yeandle, Williams, Hill,Dennis,Simmonds, Armand, Slade, Cuthbert, O Flaherty, Skiner etc that's a fantastic result

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 11 January, 2020 21:44

Who says Twickenham is too big? Saracens have used it for a home Champions Cup at least once.

Job done anyway, defence still messy early on but that's a Champions Cup quarter final for the first time since '16! (Sm46) Scratch that, currently number 1 seed at least overnight, just need to secure the home quarter final now.

Date: 11 January, 2020 23:26

After a fantastic defence shift against Sarries we have managed to ship 8 tries in our last two games. To be honest, but for a wicked bounce and two horrendous howlers by Hugh Jones, Glasgow could have put 7 tries on us.
We need to tighten up against La Rochelle because they have shown against Glasgow and Sale that they can play away from home. To get a home quarter final we need to win next week, preferably with a TBP!

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 01:08

Quote:
ExTeddChief
Who says Twickenham is too big? Saracens have used it for a home Champions Cup at least once.
Job done anyway, defence still messy early on but that's a Champions Cup quarter final for the first time since '16! (Sm46) Scratch that, currently number 1 seed at least overnight, just need to secure the home quarter final now.

How are we number 1 seed ahead of Toulouse? They have the same points as us but have won all five of their games..

Posted by: Currychief (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 08:15

Quote: “After a fantastic defence shift against Sarries we have managed to ship 8 tries in our last two games. To be honest, but for a wicked bounce and two horrendous howlers by Hugh Jones, Glasgow could have put 7 tries on us.”

Perhaps that’s Karma for using a plastic pitch?

Date: 12 January, 2020 08:50

To be fair to Warriors,if the pitch wasn't artificial would the game have been on?
We may not all agree about the safety aspect of the pitches,but there is a much better brand of rugby being played across the UK since the development of plastic pitches here.
Does it come at the detriment of player health/welfare? Quite possibly but from a business point of view to those clubs not in a situation as fortunate as ours i don't blame them for taking that option.
A hybrid pitch like ours is my preferred option but is that much more expensive?

Posted by: East_Stand_Warrior (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 09:14

Quote:
Zyder head
To be fair to Warriors,if the pitch wasn't artificial would the game have been on?
We may not all agree about the safety aspect of the pitches,but there is a much better brand of rugby being played across the UK since the development of plastic pitches here.
Does it come at the detriment of player health/welfare? Quite possibly but from a business point of view to those clubs not in a situation as fortunate as ours i don't blame them for taking that option.
A hybrid pitch like ours is my preferred option but is that much more expensive?

All good points. We quite like our plastic pitch... part of the reason for that is that in the season before we had it installed, we were unable to play at home for 3 months because of the weather and drainage issues associated with the soil structure - we had some games postponed, had to play a home game against Edinburgh at Murrayfield and played 2 games, including a Champions Cup game, 30 miles away in Kilmarnock (on their plastic pitch).

The pitch really suits the fast, running, style of play that we try to deliver. Scrums stand up better, and the ball comes out of rucks faster. It is also used throughout the week.

A hybrid pitch may be better, but they are vastly more expensive. AIUI at the time when we had ours installed 3 years ago, our pitch cost about £250k, while a full hybrid would have been well north of £1m. Even if we had that sort of cash sitting around (as it was, the sale of under-contract Nakarawa to Racing paid for the pitch), it would have been too much of an investment in a site where we are merely tennants.

Date: 12 January, 2020 09:55

Thanks for the information East stand.
Installing a plastic pitch is not something that is taken lightly and there are many reasons for installation which I fully understand and agree with, certainly from a business point of view.
I also like that the surface can be used for multi purpose and can be a community hub for even a small town club.
The only draw back is the potential issue with joint injury risk but that is not yet proven I believe despite what most people think. I have my own feelings on that but I am not a doctor or medically qualified.
If having a plastic pitch potentially keeps a club in business and players employed then that is a player welfare positive that most players would welcome above the risks of playing on artificial surfaces.

Posted by: ExTeddChief (IP Logged)
Date: 12 January, 2020 10:44

Quote:
Master Chief
Quote:
ExTeddChief

How are we number 1 seed ahead of Toulouse? They have the same points as us but have won all five of their games..

Thought Match points difference was the first tiebreaker and we're +62 to their +56!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net