Current Page: 1 of 3
Saracens to be relegated say rugby pass
Posted by: Chief Sitting Down (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2020 22:10

Re: Saracens to be relegated say rugby pass
Posted by: minuteman (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2020 22:31

Also this is now on the BBC .. looks like something is definitely happening.

Posted by: Exeforever (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2020 23:23

Expulsion not relegation for me. This is massively more important than going bust, which led to London Scottish and Richmond being expelled in the early days of professionalism.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2020 23:34

Wouldn't argue.....despicable club to do what they did...and some of their fans still not getting it.....

Posted by: Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 16 January, 2020 23:39

KARMA 200% - No administration error in %

"Get on Exe"

Posted by: Chivenor Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 03:37

Implications?
Sarries relegates to Championship-
How many of the Internationals, stellar players currently on Sarries books would stay and play there?
Think what happened to those Internationals previously at Newcastle who are now loaned etc to Premiership Teams until they return to Premiership.
These stellar players seek employment with other Premiership teams, we are talking the likes of Farrell , Daly etc.
Clubs current squads will be twitching at this situation as those now redundant Sarries guys will expect a decent salary at their new club and that would test their budgets (Salary cap).
Someone will have to make way.
Academy players will see future contracts disappear with their club as these stellar players parachute in....
Itís going to get messy!

Date: 17 January, 2020 09:52

I read somewhere that Saracens' players cvs have already been circulated but that nobody will touch them as a) clubs have already committed to full expenditure for this season and b) however good the players are they must be toxic. Would you want to play alongside someone who you have competed against for at least 3 years now that you know that he and his teammates have been cheating?

It also doesn't sit with the Exeter ethos where players have been "released" for moral, not legal, transgressions, so I don't believe that we will see any of them in Exeter colours very soon (nor would I want us to).

I don't know what the solution is but, logically, if Saracens are contractually bound to pay these players some of them will have to sit out this season on mega money and perhaps PRL would accept that if they don't play at all then there's not much else that can be done about it.

One problem that automatic relegation brings though is that if the above is the case then surely they will have to play their academy-ish side in the league so their results going forward are likely to be very different from their results so far. This further disadvantages those sides that have lost to their full strength over-the-cap side so those results should presumably be expunged and simply no points at all be awarded to either side for games against them, in which case why play them at all?

Trying to deal with this "on the hoof" is really not at all satisfactory for anyone and just seems to be throwing up as many problems as it solves IMO.

Posted by: Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 10:10

I'm honestly not sure which players we'd take if offered from Sarries. Jack Singleton maybe? Not that it wouldn't be great to have the likes of Mako, Billy or Itoje, but they'd be far too expensive for the level of upgrade they'd bring.

Posted by: Shy Ann (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 10:29

Complete and utter shambles all round. PRL just not up to regulating the cap. Got themselves into this mess and need to consider their position very carefully. Resign and start again would be one solution.

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 12:07

Tis indeed a proper mess and doing Rugby Union no favours what so ever!!
PRL have been found lacking. The situation should never have arisen to begin with.
Unfortunately the powers that be who officiate behind the scenes of PRL are not up to the task.
It's good that they seem to be moving in the right direction but in truth it's a bit late and is quite frankly laughable.

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Toomanychiefs (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 12:45

IF this happens then it does present problems for the results previous to this awaited judgement. If Sarries suddenly start putting out lesser teams or the squad is dismantled then this creates massive problems.

Date: 17 January, 2020 13:36

If Sarries results were annulled then both we and Northampton would lose the 4 points that we got against them and Irish would lose the bp they got.

This would result in the top of the table becoming closer as we and Northampton would only be 2 and 1 point respectively ahead of Glaws, and Oirish would still be 10th but only 1 point ahead of Tigers. The effect at the bottom wouldn't matter of course as Saracens would be going down but it would tighten things up a bit at the top, but IMO it's the only fair way to deal with the situation if they are going to be relegated.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:01

Quote:
Toomanychiefs
IF this happens then it does present problems for the results previous to this awaited judgement. If Sarries suddenly start putting out lesser teams or the squad is dismantled then this creates massive problems.

If they are to be relegated the only sensible and logical way of doing this is to cancel all their remaining fixtures and wipe their existing results from the record. Otherwise the remainder of the season will be a farce. Of course the clubs yet to host games against Saracens should receive full compensation (including refunds for season ticket holders) with all this money being paid from Saracens share of Premiership Rugby income from TV, sponsors etc.

Posted by: cornwallchief (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:32

As everybody agrees it is a total mess and the Saracens board and Mr Wray are responsible. Whilst the PRL will share some of the blame we should remember there will be many in the club including many players who were not directly involved. I have no legal knowledge but many rich powerful people are able to manipulate the law and financial matters to suit their interests and aims. Outside rugby Mr Wray seems to have a 'philanthropic' aspect which many would find commendable. Sadly in rugby I believe he has tarnished the reputation of the game. The Sarries side and the squad they built would have been able to give many international sides a stiff game but the means do not justify the ends and nor does the philanthropy [ which other clubs do]. if the board and Mr Wray are yet again so arrogant to be vastly over the cap again they do not really have any interest in rugby's future - only a twisted vested one. it is probably not in anyone's power but they should not be allowed back in the prem with the same board at all and probably not for three years. As for the players the world is unfair; I hope that next year they will all have their playing careers sorted in the championship or elsewhere. If any come or arrive in Exeter they will only do so if Rob Baxter is happy that they would fit in in which case we should welcome them. Like many Sarries fans who will be gutted and eventually dismayed by what has happened remember where the real blame lies with the perpetrator who seems to be Mr Wray and the board not elsewhere.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 16:02

Posted by: Jehovas Sandals (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 17:09

Been reading some of the comments on thier board...... Denial and the arrogance of some is unbelievable.
I resisted the temptation to comment!!

I drink and forget stuff!

Posted by: Master Chief (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 18:30

Quote:
Poking With Sticks
I'm honestly not sure which players we'd take if offered from Sarries. Jack Singleton maybe? Not that it wouldn't be great to have the likes of Mako, Billy or Itoje, but they'd be far too expensive for the level of upgrade they'd bring.

Max Malins please!

Posted by: mommentum (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 22:07

now that Saracens are minus another 35 points they can totally concentrate on the European cup and i would not bet against them, hope we don't have them in the next round.

Posted by: Chief Sitting Down (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 22:57

Quote:
mommentum
now that Saracens are minus another 35 points they can totally concentrate on the European cup and i would not bet against them, hope we don't have them in the next round.
They should been removed from the European Cup as well.
I know there is no salary cap on the cup.
But they won this with a team that they put together to win the premier league by Cheating the cap. Without Cheating they would never had the put that team together.

Posted by: Celtic Chieftain (IP Logged)
Date: 18 January, 2020 00:49

It seems like it would be a lot less messy to wait until the end of the season before deciding whether to relegate them. Let the season play out and measure whether they've met the cap. If they don't, they go down. If they do, they will have had to cut their staff so much it will have to have an effect on the team's performance. And in the meantime all fixtures get fulfilled.

"Look, I'm fine, I don't need to go off, but I just can't remember what position I play."

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net