Current Page: 1 of 2
The 97/98 season
Posted by: JustAnotherOnlooker (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 20:19

Someone has uploaded it onto YouTube (User: TheGHS1962. If you're on here then thank you very much!) and because i'm bored i'm going to post some observations as I watch and also a few questions that can hopefully be answered by some on here as my Falcons knowledge is limited especially when compared to most on here, that and I was still a bairn when this would've been going on.

-Were the Falcons title contenders going into this particular season?

-Why did we play a couple games at Gateshead?

-Tuigmala has the perfect balance of strength and speed. He would've been my favourite player in this era.

-We got booed a lot at Bath on the first day of the season.

-Is Alan Tait Alex Tait's dad? I'm going to risk making an idiot of myself and say yes.

-There were games going on mid-week at this time. No wonder a lot of players from this time are having health problems.

-The line speed is incredible if sometimes chaotic resulting in mistakes.

-Some of the grounds were so basic back then, love it!

-Seeing KP before the developments is pretty surreal in a good way. I've only ever known it fully built.

-That London Irish (Away) game was fierce. Having fans so close to the pitch in such a cramped ground must've created a much more intense atmosphere back then. Love the L.Irish kit with the little pint of Guinness as the sponsor.

-Our scrum was very tidy.

-Is the 8-50 at Birstol our best away performance in Prem history? Either that or the Leicester game from a couple years ago.

-The height Rob Andrew would get off his kicks is amazing.

-We had a really vocal away following judging from this.

-I'm having a great time just watching this. We're free-flowing and intense when we attack.

-If I had a time machine I'd use it to being Gary Armstrong into the present day.

-Very liberal with the shirt number back then. Bristol were wearing letters and Quins had someone wearing 38.

-We really got booed down at Franklins Gardens.

-No footage from the European campaign this season, bit odd.

-Tuigmala knocking people down like they're nothing is delightful to watch.

-I went to Richmond for the game against Scottish earlier this season and the ground looks exactly the same as it does here except for the temporary stand on the far side.

-Completely forgot Wasps played at Loftus Road. They've been through more homes than Dion Dublin.

-Fighting was a lot more common back then.

-Booing the kicker seemed more acceptable then which I'm okay with personally. As long as it doesn't descend into any discriminatory behaviour then it's all part of the spectacle to me.

-That was so obviously a double movement by Rob Andrew in the Gloucester away game.

-KP was rocking back then albeit with a smaller capacity.

-Crowd was huge for the Saracens game down there at Vicarage Road.

-Seeing some of those ad boards takes me back. Strange I know!

-Entire pack piling into the ruck, that's how you do it!

-Is the Quins game our biggest away following for a single game?

-I get really emotional thinking about Doddie.

What a great team and what a great watch!

Enjoy: [www.youtube.com]

Re: The 97/98 season
Posted by: Monkey1 (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 20:49

I do believe that the Falcons supporter heard loud & clear when Popplewell got his try at Irish was none other than Chris Henderson. He hasn't changed.

Cheers JAO, this is a hoot.

Posted by: aidanb (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 21:01

Armstrong loved a reverse pass

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 21:14

[quote JustAnotherOnlooker]Someone has uploaded it onto YouTube (User: TheGHS1962. If you're on here then thank you very much!) and because i'm bored i'm going to post some observations as I watch and also a few questions that can hopefully be answered by some on here as my Falcons knowledge is limited especially when compared to most on here, that and I was still a bairn when this would've been going on.

-Were the Falcons title contenders going into this particular season?

-Why did we play a couple games at

-Is Alan Tait Alex Tait's dad? I'm going to risk making an idiot of myself and say yes.

-There were games going on mid-week at this time. No wonder a lot of players from this time are having health problems.

-The line speed is incredible if sometimes chaotic resulting in mistakes.

-Some of the grounds were so basic back then, love it!

-Seeing KP before the developments is pretty surreal in a good way. I've only ever known it fully built.

-That London Irish (Away) game was fierce. Having fans so close to the pitch in such a cramped ground must've created a much more intense atmosphere back then. Love the L.Irish kit with the little pint of Guinness as the sponsor.

-Our scrum was very tidy.

-Is the 8-50 at Birstol our best away performance in Prem history? Either that or the Leicester game from a couple years ago.

Posted by: dick g (IP Logged)
Date: 29 March, 2020 21:16

156-0 against Rugbg Lions is our best-ever result.

Posted by: Leipziger (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 10:41

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
-No footage from the European campaign this season, bit odd.

For the games that weren't on TV, there'd only be one camera for the highlights show I guess, and maybe there were no cameras at all for the European games. The video was, I think, cobbled together pretty quickly after we won the title and it's good for what it is, but not the most professional season review video ever.

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

It could be our biggest away win in the Premiership, I'm struggling to think of a bigger one. "Best away performance" is all down to opinion of course, but as Bristol finished rock bottom of the table I don't think many would consider it our best away performance ever.

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
--Is Alan Tait Alex Tait's dad? I'm going to risk making an idiot of myself and say yes.

No, although Alan's son Michael did play a few games for the Falcons back in the early 2010s.

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
-That was so obviously a double movement by Rob Andrew in the Gloucester away game.

Not as obvious - to everyone but the ref - as Paul Van-Zandvliet's trip on a Gloucester player (Mark Mapletoft?) steaming towards the tryline in that game!

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
--Is the Quins game our biggest away following for a single game?

3,000 of us in Paris, then there were the cup finals, but for a Premiership game it might well have been.

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
-What a great team and what a great watch!

Great days.

Enjoy: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 11:27

That blac and white hoops was my favorite strip. Stuart Barnes detested us. Pat Lam - what a player!

Posted by: RiponFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 11:48

The Quinn’s game was the day after yet another miserable day at Wembley for NUFC and our group was swollen by some people who rarely attend rugby. But they did have an enjoyable day watching a Newcastle based team enjoy a major success for a change

Rushing out from the loo during the first half I collided with someone making the move towards the facilities. I would like to claim he came off worse in the collision but that may not be 100 percent true. But his brother Tony had a good season for us that season

Posted by: limpopo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 12:05

Stuart Barnes still does, being a poor second to Rob Andrew in selection for England and Lions has always riled him

Posted by: JustAnotherOnlooker (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 12:05

Quote:
Bedlington Lad
That black and white hoops was my favorite strip. Stuart Barnes detested us. Pat Lam - what a player!
I've always thought the club are leaving money on the table by not doing a Black & White hoop kit. The U18's play in one and it looks fantastic.

Watching Lam develop as a coach has been a pleasure too.

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 12:18

I’ve met Barnesy loads of times, and he actually loves the Falcons.

I used to have a theory called ‘Barnes’ law’.

Every club’s fans (apart from Bath, obvs) think Stuart Barnes hates them. In my experience this law is 100% accurate.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 13:45

Well i know what ill be doing tonight when i get home from work! Thanks for letting us know this was on there

Posted by: limpopo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 14:48

Quote:
markismith50
I’ve met Barnesy loads of times, and he actually loves the Falcons.
I used to have a theory called ‘Barnes’ law’.

Every club’s fans (apart from Bath, obvs) think Stuart Barnes hates them. In my experience this law is 100% accurate.

You learn something every day Smithy,he just seems to come across that way!

Posted by: markismith50 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 14:55

Every club’s fans think that, Limpopo!

Posted by: Northumbrian (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 19:58

The match against Saracens, in March 1998, which was effectively a title decider, was the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at Kingston Park.

Posted by: GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 20:15

Am i the only one that forgot just how big a part some of the non star named players had for us..such as Legg, and Naylor and Paul Van etc..

Date: 30 March, 2020 20:32

Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Am i the only one that forgot just how big a part some of the non star named players had for us..such as Legg, and Naylor and Paul Van etc..

Nope. I’ve just watched it and came away with almost identical thoughts

Posted by: Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 14:15

Quote:
Northumbrian
The match against Saracens, in March 1998, which was effectively a title decider, was the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at Kingston Park.
I agree for me it was the best-standard non-international match I've ever seen live.

Posted by: telfs123 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 15:48

Just noticed the same guy has uploaded the 2001 Tetley's Cup Final.

Well that's the next 90 minutes sorted...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: 01 April, 2020 21:46

Just watched the Quinn’s final. Oh happy days!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net