Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Brentford - The proposed stadium changes
Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 06 October, 2017 18:29

Problem with Reading seems to be that those drifting away for whatever reason (moving, going to uni, dying off, losing interest due to poor results) are not being replaced.

I don't know of any adult who has become a ST holder in the last 5 years, but in that time 3 ST holders I know have stopped coming for a variety of reasons.

Posted by: waltham (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 00:03

Jeezus. are we really still bickering about this again?
Staying where we are now is not an option as the Owners have consistently stated.
There is NO parking at Brentford (see LI submitted transport plan)
The club believes there is a substantial (latent) supporter market just waiting for us to return to west London...
We don't have the dosh to own our own stadium.
No chance of any sort of stadium at Hazelwood....ever!

Posted by: Aa545 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 07:40

Quote:
waltham
Jeezus. are we really still bickering about this again?
Staying where we are now is not an option as the Owners have consistently stated.
There is NO parking at Brentford (see LI submitted transport plan)
The club believes there is a substantial (latent) supporter market just waiting for us to return to west London...
We don't have the dosh to own our own stadium.
No chance of any sort of stadium at Hazelwood....ever!
Yes, we are . Why would I be happy switching an easy 45min drive to Reading to a 3hr public transport nightmare to Brentford.
If there are so many fans in London why didn’t they come before?
Increasing the support isn’t going to happen unless we start winning more challenging at the top of the league, which won’t happen without investment.

Posted by: Horticbm (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 17:13

Ive supported Irish since the 70's Ive lived in Wigan, Cambridge,letterkenny, Portlaoise London and now in Tonbridge,always managed to get to matches I am glad the plan is to head back to London, engage the irish community and rekindle the support that that we had in London.Lets relook at what success looks like, I feel at the Madjeski it seems half hearted

Posted by: Foggy-Balla (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:08

Quote:
b.q.f.m
Quote:
Foggy-Balla
Quote:
AlecW
Nope, Foggy - harvesting apples, pears and sloes in East Anglia! Will watch online, if I can find a stream...

Irish to move to Carrow Road. After all Naaaarfaaalk is a big old desert for top-flight Rugby. You heard it here first (Sm14)

Now you are talking! That would be a dream come true all ready for when I retire from work and return to my hometown. Not going down that bloody Carrow Road though, plenty of other lovely places in and around Norwich that would make great rugby grounds. By the way Foggy, I will be looking for a property with a BIG cellar. smiling smiley

You're from Norfolk? I didn't notice the extra fingers (sm14)

Faugh-a-Ballagh!

"Our prayer is 'God save Ireland' and pour blessings on her name!"

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Posted by: bigbitty (IP Logged)
Date: 07 October, 2017 20:42

That reminds me of a beautifully name motorcycle sidecar racing team of yore....Norfolk and Goode!

Posted by: Ozzy3213 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 October, 2017 11:46

Check out @btsportrugby’s Tweet: [twitter.com]

Posted by: CharlieG (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 09:57

Quote:
Ozzy3213

Link doesn't work (for me, at least).

Date: 09 October, 2017 14:56

Quote:
Ozzy3213
Just says tweet deleted.
What did it say?

Posted by: Ecksile (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 15:10

Pretty sure it was this

You will need to look along the bottom to "Casey: Irish must secure London return"

Posted by: Bazzo (IP Logged)
Date: 09 October, 2017 15:51

Basically BBC on BT saying LI need to move !

Date: 10 October, 2017 05:28

Same old rubbish spouted about the move back to London.
Yes more people live their than Reading but those people won’t come flooding back unless we start winning games challenging for trophies, which won’t happen without investment.

Posted by: Fanski (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 13:10

"We've been around this buoy many times, Bazzo, in fact I'm quite dizzy & bored with the debate. However there is a section of us who are somewhat skeptical of how big the actual Rugby market to be tapped is in an area where there are already Scottish, Richmond, Quins, Ealing, Irish Amateur, Welsh Amateur & a bit further away Sarries. "

Plus Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, Brentford, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, all of whom attract the sports fan from this and the nearby areas.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 13:57

BBC interview says a few things:
Reading catchment is 250000
London area is 2 million
Must secure a commercial deal in a stadium in London
The deal at Brentford is not yet done

Posted by: Paul_D (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 14:06

Quote:
HMRH

I would imagine that this will be our new CEO's No1 priority.

Posted by: Cornish boy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 14:28

Quote:
HMRH
BBC interview says a few things:
Reading catchment is 250000
London area is 2 million
Must secure a commercial deal in a stadium in London

I must admit I thought he said that LI must secure a commercial interest in a stadium in London

It was a few days ago and only working from memory of what I thought was an interesting choice of words.

More than happy to accept that I may have misheard or misquoted.

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 14:45

[sport.bt.com]

You are correct Cornish Boy "interest" it is

Posted by: Finno (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 16:35

That probably means 'stumping up' some dosh to get a stake in the stadium to get that commercial interest! I doubt renting alone would get us the interest we seem to be after!

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 16:40

You do get the feeling the reduction in proposed commercial facilities at the Brentford site may have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.

Slightly less sure that this is happening than a few months ago. May well be wide of the mark there though. All of this is guess work to an extent.

Posted by: Cornish boy (IP Logged)
Date: 11 October, 2017 19:18

Quote:
Margin_Walker
You do get the feeling the reduction in proposed commercial facilities at the Brentford site may have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works.
Slightly less sure that this is happening than a few months ago. May well be wide of the mark there though. All of this is guess work to an extent.

I agree that the changes have possibly derailed the deal as now there would appear to be nothing more to the 'relationship' with Brentford than a pay to play contract similar to the MadStad.

Being honest, I see the next 12 months as a real defining moment in the history and future of LI as a professional club.
I really hope when we look back we can celebrate it as a positive defining moment, but I worry that may not be the case.

Current Page: 4 of 5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net