Current Page: 1 of 2
PM statement
Posted by: Shropshire Hugh (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 12:22

If the Govts new regulations are going to be in place for 'at least the next six months', with no supporters allowed in grounds, effectively until the end of next season, how can clubs such as ours possibly survive? It is dreadful for all clubs but with our move to Brentford and all that that entails it is particularly bitter. A lot of our players must be wondering how long their pay cheques will continue? If you were a southern hemisphere player you would be mad not to be looking at Japan or NZ for your immediate future.

Living in the Ionian Isles so just lurking when wifi allows!

Re: PM statement
Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 12:38

It's a pretty grim picture. You'd have to expect the club to be in fairly serious trouble without Crossan (or another investor) ploughing in a lot more money without much hope of a return or some kind of government rescue package for pro sport.

Posted by: tonyh50 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 12:56

It’s looking dire for us and a number other clubs, we certainly won’t be seeing the London / Brentford numbers they were expecting to boost both revenue and crowds, Will undoubtedly have an impact on Season Ticket sales (maybe on Thursday’s zoom meeting we will get info on current ST figures) Also if the restrictions do last for 6 months then current ST holders will be wondering what the club will do re refunds etc?. Overall a bleak outlook with little sign of any Government support forthcoming to help out.

Posted by: SirBurger (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 13:00

Very bleak indeed.

Posted by: Fursa (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 14:18

Very bleak indeed but I expect not for Saracens!!

Posted by: Alphacat (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 15:17

I think the bankrolled clubs will be fine, less so us.

Not that I don't think we'll survive, but I can see a potential split in the premiership between those who can cope and those who will have to massively cut player budgets for 2021/22, if we are not allowed back in stadiums.

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 15:53

Yep we can stop banging on about South African locks now I reckon

Posted by: Shawshank (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 18:16

Probably will need the players to take another 33%+ cut in wages, or basically whatever the amount needed to try to balance the books - with BT Sports and Gallagher sponsorship being the only proper dosh coming in.

No doubt the club is ruing the alleged 900k blown on Coleman, and also the money completely wasted on Naholo and BBB.

I don’t see any new recruitment now for at least 12 months.

Great chance for the academy boys to shine...

Posted by: Blarney (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 21:55

With the authorities of professional football, rugby and cricket asking the government for financial aid what are people's thoughts?

For me, no thanks. I love watching pro rugby and I love london irish but these are private businesses and, in the end, is sport that important when compared to healthcare? I would rather the government uses any spare money it has to bolster the NHS, education of infrastructure.

It would be sad if clubs folded and players/staff lost jobs but, come the return to normality, professional teams would rise again.

Posted by: cjm. (IP Logged)
Date: 22 September, 2020 23:56

Frankly, my experience of the NHS is far from positive and I see it as a money pit. Apart from the fact that is free at the point of need I struggle to see what is so great about it. Realise that view may not be popular but it ****ed me over several times due to incompetence and very poor professional standards.

Education exhibits similar symptoms.

So bail out rugby it is!

Posted by: SteveS (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 00:14

Do both, we are among the most under-taxed of the major economies in Europe so plenty leeway there and borrowing costs are also at their lowest in history, indeed we may have negative rates pretty soon. Sporting organisations shouldn't die, they are part of our communities, and our communities shouldn't be stripped in this way - time to remember the value of something and not the cost of everything.

Posted by: franciscorrigan (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 00:22

NHS is indeed a bottomless money pit, run by overpaid incompetent managers. My local hospital has been virtually on shutdown despite few Covid patients and many of the staff have been thumb twiddling for months. However, this is a rugby forum, so I will return to topic.
The Government bailed out the bankers, although bankers caused their own mess and don't get me started on how the banks are profiteering in this current crisis.
Pro rugby got a decent wedge of cash from the recent capital investment by CVC, but most clubs have already spent it I expect. However, I can't see CVC letting the clubs go bust, because it's not in their interest and when push comes to shove I bet there's a deal to buy a bit more than the 27% that they already own.
Saying that, I would welcome some Government (ie. tax payers) cash to help all sport.(Sm63)

Posted by: HMRH (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 08:31

We need to support the club - regular monthly payments for those that can will replace some lost revenue and profit from drinks and the like which we’d have spent anyway.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 11:11

The NHS got us out of this mess, no one else. It’s continually underinvested in if you look at the facts. The mgt point was trotted out 15 years ago and doesn’t have anywhere near the same weight. Brexit and the current govt are killing it. If you want to see a federated and private sector, ladies and gentlemen I give you the US. A guy was on intubation and survived 71 days then received a bill for over 1m dollars....

Posted by: Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 11:56

Clearly the priority has to be to protect the health service.

What's slightly galling it the priority being given to protecting the drinks industry. Something that actually does adversely impact the NHS in a significant way.

I know it's whataboutery, but watching sport indoors in a busy pub is surely many orders of magnitude more risky than a few thousand fans rattling about outdoors in a football stadium on a fresh winter day.

Posted by: Nick4219 (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 12:13

I’m not that willing to see my tax contribution be used to fund sports teams that chuck 100’s of millions of pounds at players of sports I have no interest in.

Everyone in this country will need the NHS in their time of need at some point so I would rather it was sent there. Absolute nonsense in getting rid of it!

Posted by: Alphacat (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 12:30

Spaced out and outside in a managed stadium, watching sport is hardly the biggest issue that will spread, but I guess the concern is moreso the logistics of it. Actually sitting in seats and watching the game with masks on is fine, having to deal with (admittedly significantly less) fans trying to go to the toilet and purchase drinks is another matter.

I think it could be managed though - shutting kiosks would lose some money and may bother the people who like to drink on a matchday but would be far better than not letting fans in at all.

Toilets are moreso of an issue but could be remedied with a queueing system and a limited number of entries at one time.

Posted by: cjm. (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 14:32

Quote:
Nick4219
Everyone in this country will need the NHS in their time of need at some point so I would rather it was sent there. Absolute nonsense in getting rid of it!

I did, they were found to be useless. Wish I had gone private instead of expecting decent medical attention from it. Still as someone else said, it's a rugby forum even if the blind faith grinds my gears.

Posted by: PV (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 16:02

You do know that ‘private’ medicine is provided by NHS trained staff and the NHS has the cutting edge medicine.

Posted by: RodB (IP Logged)
Date: 23 September, 2020 19:44

Eventually....

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net